2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So did anyone else notice the terrible hook sets today? I've never lost so many fish in a day. I had an absolute freight train pop the clip and bend the rod down and start peeling line. Never seen that in my life. No shaking or bobbing, just straight bend down to the water and peeeeeeeeeling! Fought the fish for a few minutes, had him under control. Even backed off the drag a bit for the final run to the net. I felt no tug or slack and then gone. Multiple times we had big hits and within a few seconds, pop. We even tied tandem trebles and longer stingers. Nothing helped. Did the rain make them less eager to feed? I just don't get it.

Absolutely the same experience in the morning yesterday from 7-9am. Lost 9 fish. Equal parts stoked and choked! Eventually got one to stick shortly after 9, and grinded out one more just after 9. Missed about 3 fish in between the 2 that were netted. Interesting that you shared the same experience. Different hook-up story on Saturday though - went three for three at T10 then lost a beauty at the Bell Buoy on way home. Barbless trebles to barbless single stingers on Rhys Davis teasers running small herring (Saturday) and small herring + anchovies (Monday). Chovies out-fished the herring Monday.

Except for the occasional freight train of a run, I am finding that many of the undersized that I have caught recently are proving to be more of a fight than the keepers.

I guess when old age sets in...
The undersized are fighting way above their weight class. I released many that I caught on a spoon only, no flasher, so add that additional fighting ability to the mix. Quality rod and reel make it such a joy though.

It looks like sockeye might actually open, I'm not holding my breath for an opening around where I fish.
FN1007 - "There will also be recreational fisheries for Fraser Sockeye discussed in the coming days as well as additional commercial opportunities in a few areas outside of Panel waters."

Got the kids up. Got out early. Got some great fish. Lost some great fish. Released some great fish. What a way to end the summer and send them back to school.

Best action between 8-10 am with earlier better than later. Mostly stayed out of the fray, mostly out in 300' between Iona Jetty and T-10, except one dip right to T-10 where we hooked up a mid-20s brute.

View attachment 84694

Called it at noon when the kids got too rangy, ate all the food and started stealing tackle to make their own hooks.

Ended up with 5 fish – 3 red, 2 whites, 3 males, 2 females. Ran one anchovy on the deeper rod (55-75') and one spoon on the shallow rod (40'). Got action on each one with a bit more action (and more lost rigs) on the anchovy.

View attachment 84695

Wondering what was going on with the troller fishing into the pack. Anyone else see that?

View attachment 84696
saw that yesterday too similar setup but the guy was running sportie lines trolling thru the banana the no fishing zone

it will be open for you too wait for the notice
Wait until when? I was out today in the morning and it was tough to get a line in. Since the first of the month I have released numerous beautiful sockeye that believe it or not Are taking anchovy only to throw them back. We are one weather system away from a wrap for the year why didn’t they just let sport fishers retain sockeye Sept 1 when chinook opened?
At this point they may as well just leave it closed to commercial and sports so all the illegal fish can’t get washed through the system.

Fished T-10 from 3:30-5:30 today. Outside of the pack and North (but South of closure). Steady action, lots of hits on the turns….zig-zagged our way along. 39-69 on the riggers. Anchovies until we ran out.

Unbelievably poor hookup and landing rate…must have had 20+ bouncing rods, 7-8 undersize, 3 decent fish lost mid-fight, and 5-6 occasions where nothing there after the rod was in full bounce….anybody else experiencing this? I have fished a lot and this was by far the worst hookup rate ever seen!!! Treble with single stinger set-up. Brand new gammies….so frustrating! Even tried dropping the ball to pop the pin and set the hook to no avail.

Fished T-10 from 3:30-5:30 today. Outside of the pack and North (but South of closure). Steady action, lots of hits on the turns….zig-zagged our way along. 39-69 on the riggers. Anchovies until we ran out.

Unbelievably poor hookup and landing rate…must have had 20+ bouncing rods, 7-8 undersize, 3 decent fish lost mid-fight, and 5-6 occasions where nothing there after the rod was in full bounce….anybody else experiencing this? I have fished a lot and this was by far the worst hookup rate ever seen!!! Treble with single stinger set-up. Brand new gammies….so frustrating! Even tried dropping the ball to pop the pin and set the hook to no avail.
I think we've all just forgotten how hard fishing is o_O

Sometimes speeding up your base speed gets better hook sets

Fished T10 from 1 - 4. Took 4 coworkers out for their first time salmon fishing. Had my hands full running the boat and the gear so glad it was a weekday and lighter traffic out there and easy water. Stayed pretty close to the buoy and had consistant action. Boxed a 10 and a 12, released 1 under, lost a possible keeper at the side of the boat, released wild coho and had several other hits. Used bait, ap spoon and GS bucktail. Depths were 40 - 60. Excellent conditions out there today. My buddy flipped when he saw the Seahawks boat!

For some reason, I've also experienced a lower landing rate this season. Not sure why, especially as I actually haven't found the fish to fight that hard in most cases this year ... ‍no idea, as the equipment is the same as in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back