2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got out to Tunstall and Grace. Tunstall was pretty slow. We moved at 1215 to grace. It was a lot of action. One big lingcod, released. About 10 Chinook that were under 45 cm. 2 that were bigger. One nice fish that got sealed. It was an ap spoon. A lucky one, and the seal got it but we got the bow of the boat quite close to the rocks in an attempt to get the spoon back.
We screwed up prawning because we drifted over a shallow point right as we dropped. I bet we only got down 170, not our desired240 ft... no prawns really worth mentioning. But great day.

Have been fishing every day since we launched Tuesday when the docks went in at Sunset Marina. All fishing around hole in the wall. Just 2-3 hrs more in the late afternoon. Fishing had been awesome with many doubles. Shakers mixed with many in the 50 cm. Today was exceptional with at least 30+ hits between 2 of us. 3 doubles in the mix. Guess about 10 Shakers and another 20 in the 50 range. 1 at 60 and another at 61. Finally landed a 65 cm to top off the day. Most hits between 70 to 90. If the tug is your drug today was an overdose day.
Wow ,awesome day ... I think will give it a go tomorrow. I have been launching from sunset . Love that Marina! High or low tide launch has lots of water. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

I crabbed on the the north side by fisheries and i got many undersized crab. Believe it to be over fished where abouts is a good place to drop a trap by the bell? saw commercials crabbing by sandheads is that a good place?

FN0311 seems to say we get what we had last year...Northern GS opens for slot limit retention July 15, and Southern GS opens Aug 1. The inlets will be open for slot limit on wilds and unlimited on hatchery (Jervis, Toba, Ramsay Arm and Bute). FN0301 says Area 28 is closed until further notice.

All notices seems to say basically the same "The plan is to start the 2022 fishing season (beginning April 1, 2022) with measures in place at the beginning of last season, until further notice. As these are interim measures, a further announcement on possible revised management actions will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice." I didn't see anything about the opening in WV like last season. That will likely be a July bone thrown out again.

Sorry for the non fishing report info, I hope to be in a position to revert back with more on my failures to convert tomorrow :)

Started at the bell, donut for 2 hrs of work. Moved over to hole in the wall after the banger report from yesterday. Right at the tide change had a dbl header (could only manage one rod, running solo). Beauty 64cm hatchery. Still out here with 8 or so boats. Flat calm. Hard to beat this sport!

Started at the bell, donut for 2 hrs of work. Moved over to hole in the wall after the banger report from yesterday. Right at the tide change had a dbl header (could only manage one rod, running solo). Beauty 64cm hatchery. Still out here with 8 or so boats. Flat calm. Hard to beat this sport!
awesome

Attachments

• PXL_20220329_013028887.jpg
    PXL_20220329_013028887.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 210
FN0311 seems to say we get what we had last year...Northern GS opens for slot limit retention July 15, and Southern GS opens Aug 1. The inlets will be open for slot limit on wilds and unlimited on hatchery (Jervis, Toba, Ramsay Arm and Bute). FN0301 says Area 28 is closed until further notice.

All notices seems to say basically the same "The plan is to start the 2022 fishing season (beginning April 1, 2022) with measures in place at the beginning of last season, until further notice. As these are interim measures, a further announcement on possible revised management actions will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice." I didn't see anything about the opening in WV like last season. That will likely be a July bone thrown out again.

Sorry for the non fishing report info, I hope to be in a position to revert back with more on my failures to convert tomorrow :)
Would the closure go into effect March 31st at Midnight or April 1st midnight? Just wondering if Friday is still open or not.

Would the closure go into effect March 31st at Midnight or April 1st midnight? Just wondering if Friday is still open or not.
Thursday midnight is the closure cut-off. No chinook retention on Friday. Not too hard to find the fishing notice on DFO's website:

"The plan is to start the 2022 fishing season (beginning April 1, 2022) with measures in place at the beginning of last season, until further notice. As these are interim measures, a further announcement on possible revised management actions will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice.

The management measures for Fraser Chinook are outlined below.

Southern BC waters: Vancouver Area (Areas 28,29)

Strait of Georgia - South - Area 28 and Subarea 29-8 (excluding those portions listed as closed below):

April 1, 2022, until further notice: Chinook non-retention."

Thursday midnight is the closure cut-off. No chinook retention on Friday. Not too hard to find the fishing notice on DFO's website:

"The plan is to start the 2022 fishing season (beginning April 1, 2022) with measures in place at the beginning of last season, until further notice. As these are interim measures, a further announcement on possible revised management actions will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice.

The management measures for Fraser Chinook are outlined below.

Southern BC waters: Vancouver Area (Areas 28,29)

Strait of Georgia - South - Area 28 and Subarea 29-8 (excluding those portions listed as closed below):

April 1, 2022, until further notice: Chinook non-retention."
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back