2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow go today at tunstall hooked a beautiful had to be over 10 lbs jumped right out of the water then oh look a seal is playing with him only bite all day just caught up with a guy at the launch we watched him play a fish saw it at the dock 25 lbs brute. Took home 45 prawn. Beautiful day out there today
Did he say where he caught the 25lb fish?

RIP Dave Steele Highwater Tackle. One of the best guys and one of the staunchest advocates for our fishing rights in BC. Sincere condolences. He will be sadly missed.

There is an awesome thread over in General, under memorial. Dave Steele and his legacy will endure on the West Coast for many years to come, a fantastic guy indeed.

Fished south of Bowen today with another 10 boats around. It was flat calm, just a fantastic day to be on the water. Hooked 3 fished but all 3 were just a couple of inches undersized. Limited on crab and some prawns. We got checked by DFO, everything looked ok so they went after another boat.
What did they check? Barbless hooks? Fishing license?

2 keepers at tunstall by 930. Rest of day unders and lost fish. Great day to take a few pals out!
We were right beside you guys for most of the day in the Grady with 4 rods out. 4 to the boat,no keepers for us all just under, and lost 3. Got a couple crabs on the way home so that was a bonus. Was a perfect day out that’s for sure
Didn’t see DFO, we were out from 0815 to 230pm

Yes, hooks, license. Also checked fish tank and cooler for any hidden fish
I find it counter productive for DFO to be checking us for barbs and license. If I had to guess I would expect them to issue very few tickets for these infractions since the vast majority of rec fishermen are law abiding. Don't know why they don't put the hours and efforts into making a real impact to those who are seriously killing our resources like the guys who year after year after year set 300+ hundred unmarked illegal crab traps and decimate the crab population in boundary bay and vancouve harbor. Those guys obviously do it under the cover of darkness when DFO are "closed" for business. If they are able to spot the illegal traps, can't imagine it would be too difficult to do a stake out and wait till the guys come back to unload the crabs from the traps.... I know this post is not in the correct forum but this kind of crap and nothing being done about it really gets me... DFO has the resources and capabilities to make a real difference but they choose to be lazy...

IMG_4604.jpg

Fished Tunstall yesterday from 10:15am to 1:15pm, through the low tide at around 12:15pm. 5 fish on, 3 to the boat, 1 keeper. Keeper was a beautiful girthy hatchery male red.

Noticed two things worth mentioning. Fish and bait both seemed tucked into the notches of the contours in deeper water than I've caught them in before – 160' - 190', and I stopped getting fish as soon as the sun came out around noon. Maybe a change of light changed the right flasher / lure combos?

My presentation was mostly focused on glow / flash, one glow spoon, one glow hootchie. Both produced fish. Flashers were glow too: blue / purple and black / gold.

Saw DFO out checking boats and pulled out my license to make sure it was marked. Yup. Then they didn't check me.

IMG_4606.jpgIMG_4607.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back