2022 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for getting me out on the Stizz McBoat. Not only a good day but the very unusual limit on Springs and not a cannon ball lost or even a tangle. That area of Coal is not an easy area to fish as it’s the size of a football field scattered with panicles everywhere but Steve has mastered this area. There’s always something new to learn that happens every time I’m out fishing, yesterday I witnessed a new use for a horse shoe “the lucky bonker”. Thanks pal for a great afternoon, gotta get me some of those spoons.

The horseshoe was good luck for us but not so much for the fish!

How is it that people are catching "keeper" chinooks at Coal when, as of Aug 1st, half the island is covered by a chinook non-retention zone and the other half is a permanent RCA?
I'm not seeing anything about a chinook non-retention zone around Coal in the app. Can someone post a link or screenshot of the no-go zone?

Here is the chinook map. The little white area east of Moresby is the only spot where you can fish for and keep 1 chinook between 62 and 80 cm. There's another for coho on the DFO siteView attachment 83383
Why I moved my boat from Sidney. Too many restrictions shouldered by one area.

Is "Shag Rock" in 18 or 19? Is the magic line through the nav. marker between Coal and Little shell? Is it where you hook a fish or where you land it?

Is "Shag Rock" in 18 or 19? Is the magic line through the nav. marker between Coal and Little shell? Is it where you hook a fish or where you land it?
Shag is in 19. The boundary is actually closer to Coal than Shag Rock and well north of the nav marker.

Fished this morning from 7:30 - 12. Attempted to fish at Shag Rock but tide/current was ripping too hard to tack both ways. Seemed like some bait and fish around. Released one under.

Motored over to the open side of Moresby and managed one keeper about 66cm and one just under. Caught on the bottom at about 190 feet right on the tide change. AP needlefish spoon. Strong ebb had really pushed the bait offshore and most bait/fish marks were in 150 - 200' on the sounder. Pulled the pin when the wind picked up.

Looks like some tough morning tides to fish through the next few days and the current will be ripping hard.

IMG_4443.jpegIMG_4444.jpeg

Anyone having any luck at Coal this week?
Was at Coal yesterday after trying Morseby which had a ton of bait. Manged one around 9lbs for my friend from England. However the guy fishing inside the closed part of Coal did well. Saw him bonk two and lost a couple.
The rest of the boats fishing Coal yesterday turned around at the closure line.

Well I gave Sidney spit a go 3 times this week before work. Took my 5 year old out for his first early morning fish before the rest of the family was awake. He’s now hooked and wants to go every morning. Had lines in the water by 5am Monday, Wednesday, and today.
Monday was good. 2 keepers and lost a couple real nice (probably over slot) fish. Wednesday had a small keeper hit instantly and I overconfidently released it, assuming I was going to be hooking into more, then lost a nice one solo netting, and then that was it. Today not a hit from 5am - 7am at the spit. Tons of bait but no fish. Moved to coal for slack current and hit 2 back to back tight to the rock at 55’. Both just under and then nothing for an hour. Called it a morning at 8am. Anyone else been out?

Attachments

• 9DE91891-D0F2-419E-9412-8BE4C447D04F.jpeg
    9DE91891-D0F2-419E-9412-8BE4C447D04F.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 38
Did a quick trip this morning. Dropped into Coal around 6:30 but the tide was ripping pretty hard so went with it and fished down to Sidney Island and all the way to Powder Wharf at about 4mph. Lots of bait off of Sidney Island but nothing hit. Released a small ling and a small Coho near Powder Wharf. Pulled lines at 9 a.m.

It's not a report but I thought this might be the best place to post. I found a crab measuring device in the ditch off Wain road in N. Saanich this morning while walking my dog. I'm guessing someone had it on their gunnel and forgot about it and it fell off the boat while trailering. If you lost one recently and trailer along Wain road, describe it me and you can have it back.

Finally the wind dropped enough to take the wifey out for a jig. We each got a greenling which made a great dinner, and we were lucky enough to get this one as well (76cm, 14Lbs.). We were fishing in 50’ of water off Wymond Pt.

Attachments

• C636007B-684D-4313-9BDB-F1968FCBB990.jpeg
    C636007B-684D-4313-9BDB-F1968FCBB990.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 82549C17-0BA7-4F02-8122-B745D5B1363E.jpeg
    82549C17-0BA7-4F02-8122-B745D5B1363E.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 121
Went out on Sunday, Got a nice Ling off Coal, Lots of strikes, but nothing stuck. :(, changed lots of hooks on Monday

Double skunk report.

Out last night with @Stizzla from about 6 - 8pm. One good hit that didn't stick. Had a decent spinning Coho to the boat but lost it before we could figure out if it was wild or hatch.

Out again today, late morning from 10 - noon on east side of Mandarte Island. A decent amount of bait showing but similar to the Victoria reports, nothing happening.

Beauty weather and dead flat ocean but it would be nice to put something into the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back