2022 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies for feeling the need to embarrass anyone publicly? Wtf I think someone embarrassed themselves being ignorant of the correct way to handle and release a beautiful fish that may come from a run that is decimated. Being ignorant of something that is not law is not a crime. I am sure I have been ignorant maybe even of a law. But it should be a crime to handle a fish like that and to post the pics. It is not the first time someone has posted similar type pics. Like I said it infuriates me ! Killing a Spring Salmon unnecessarily. I want my grandkids to be able to catch one even if they have to release it and so should you. Now I am totally relaxed sitting on my balcony feeling Old. Believe it or not I am a very experienced fisherman a few thousand days on the water literally. Please allow me to share my knowledge. Along time ago I figured out that if you don’t kill fish unnecessarily we will have more in the future. As far as criticizing anyone goes maybe you should just sit back on your balcony and stare in the mirror.
No worries, it was a mistake on me as we were caught up in the moment and I own that. It did swim away tho.

Attachments

• E0C72FC5-AA74-46D2-95F1-DA97ADC2DCAB.jpeg
    E0C72FC5-AA74-46D2-95F1-DA97ADC2DCAB.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 129
  • B06E559F-BD47-432B-8BD9-A911EF5E03C8.jpeg
    B06E559F-BD47-432B-8BD9-A911EF5E03C8.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 128
My apologies for feeling the need to embarrass anyone publicly? Wtf I think someone embarrassed themselves being ignorant of the correct way to handle and release a beautiful fish that may come from a run that is decimated. Being ignorant of something that is not law is not a crime. I am sure I have been ignorant maybe even of a law. But it should be a crime to handle a fish like that and to post the pics. It is not the first time someone has posted similar type pics. Like I said it infuriates me ! Killing a Spring Salmon unnecessarily. I want my grandkids to be able to catch one even if they have to release it and so should you. Now I am totally relaxed sitting on my balcony feeling Old. Believe it or not I am a very experienced fisherman a few thousand days on the water literally. Please allow me to share my knowledge. Along time ago I figured out that if you don’t kill fish unnecessarily we will have more in the future. As far as criticizing anyone goes maybe you should just sit back on your balcony and stare in the mirror.
Just putting the lines in the water kills lots of Salmon, how many of those little 12” Salmon that have been on the line for 5 minutes survive to see the spawning grounds? How many of those little salmon were of stocks of concern?

No worries, it was a mistake on me as we were caught up in the moment and I own that. It did swim away tho.
Good of you to own up. Much better pics obviously a beauty. I am sure it swam away fine but the bacteria from fingers inside the gills will in all likelihood cause it to die. Let’s hope that’s not the case. Chances of a fish surviving are greatly increased if it is not handled at all. One way to do this sometimes when using a single barbless hook. Which I believe is more sporting and equally as productive. Bring fish along side get a big bend in your rod quickly move rod backwards and at same time pull some line off the reel. Often the hook pops right out because of line going slack. I Love when this works it’s about 50/50 as I am able to instantly get that line back down while the bite is on. Releasing a Big fish and being confident it will survive is a pretty good feeling maybe not so much on an empty stomach.

Good of you to own up. Much better pics obviously a beauty. I am sure it swam away fine but the bacteria from fingers inside the gills will in all likelihood cause it to die. Let’s hope that’s not the case. Chances of a fish surviving are greatly increased if it is not handled at all. One way to do this sometimes when using a single barbless hook. Which I believe is more sporting and equally as productive. Bring fish along side get a big bend in your rod quickly move rod backwards and at same time pull some line off the reel. Often the hook pops right out because of line going slack. I Love when this works it’s about 50/50 as I am able to instantly get that line back down while the bite is on. Releasing a Big fish and being confident it will survive is a pretty good feeling maybe not so much on an empty stomach.
It will probably end up in a net before it dies from bacteria.

You gotta love happy hour on the peninsula… bevies on the boat with two tight lines. Today was a bitter sweet experience for my wife. She brought 4 to the boat this afternoon evening. Three under the 62cm with the biggest 56cm, and then this happened my reel started screaming. This was my wife’s first time out fishing this year and nails a slab in a half. This beauty was well over 100cm and I would say anywhere from 25-30Lbs, this was her biggest fish ever. So a quick photo op and a nice healthy release with tears in my eyes. We were fishing the spit, in 100’ of water 86’and 65’ on the rigger caught this one at 86’ with a green loony spoon and yellow flasher. We couldn’t find a keep within the slot limit today but a great day on the water.
Awesome fish looks like you guys had an awesome day out there. Big congrats to your wife on a fine fish.

I think handling a fish like that picture is not ideal, yet Salmon are resilient, I have pulled in many Salmon with massive Seal scars, chunks missing and healed over. Quicker release is key. But better handling needed for sure. Nice fish.

Report: Fished Sidney 4 hours saturday not a sniff, 2 hours sunday nothing. Such beautiful real estate to fish, but as my brother said who lives there, its rare to find a hot bite. More of a paddleboard and bbq effort at the spit, beauty day!

Maybe if they were allowed to keep the fish?

Fished the channel on the opposite sidney island side not powder wharf. 12 to 4 sunday, marked a lot of bait along side the weed line. Marked fish too, enticing them to bite was a bit more challenging. Ended up releasing 3 fish 2 in the channel one by the spit all released at the side of the boat with a galf flip on the lure. FYI that comercial crab set near the red marker stay clear it's now 2 leads and setups decorated Ug...... oops. My son and his get the speaker outside method worked. A blue tooth speaker and fishy got game song along with 4 kids dancing on the deck did the trick. every time they did it we got a hit.

How can I describe fishing today in one word?!… PERFECTION!

Met my ol pal @Original at the launch for 4:30. Launched right away. Parking nearby.

Played a game of odds/evens to choose between coal and the spit. He guessed 6. Even=coal.

Had a calm run and set up near the rocks. Soon into a just under. Didn’t measure, I’m not here for that…

A few minutes later, BAM! Better fish, came in hot, Don with the perfect net job! 78cm fatty 17lbs. I only fish @WestCFishingTackle spoons. Gretzky on the Rigger in 100-110 off the rocks

Another hour or so passes and Don switches bait to a west coast tackle spoon and bam, stubborn lil’ scrapper! Call it 11 lbs.

Fish vac PAC’d, boat is clean and it’s time for a scotch, a shower and a little lovin’ for the lady. PERFECTION!!!

324329BE-81A0-46D4-A86B-BA2975649CAC.jpeg8FC8EF2F-9E33-42DB-B456-FED1C543AEB1.jpeg01828F38-80E9-409E-AA30-40F9ED085404.jpeg

Last edited:

Met my ol pal @Original at the launch for 4:30. Launched right away. Parking nearby.

Played a game of odds/evens to choose between coal and the spit. He guessed 6. Even=coal.

Flat calm run set up near the rocks. Soon into a just under. Didn’t measure, I’m not here for that…

A few minutes later, BAM! Better fish, came in hot, Don with the perfect net job! 78cm fatty 17lbs. I only fish @WestCFishingTackle spoons. Gretzky on the Rigger in 100-110 off the rocks

Another hour or so passes and Don switches bait to a @WestCFishingTackle spoon and bam, stubborn lil’ scrapper! Call it 11 lbs.

Fish vac PAC’d, boat is clean and it’s for a scotch a shower and a little lovin’ for the lady. PERFECTION!!!

View attachment 83326View attachment 83327View attachment 83328
Went out at 2:30 with a friend that wanted to learn fishing Sidney. Picked up a 10lbr quickly then played catch and release looking for a bigger. Should have followed Stizzla for the big guys.
Used spoons as well, makes it nice and easy for releasing the fish.

Flat calm run set up near the rocks. Soon into a just under. Didn’t measure, I’m not here for that…

Another hour or so passes and Don switches bait to a @WestCFishingTackle spoon and bam, stubborn lil’ scrapper! Call it 11 lbs.

Fish vac PAC’d, boat is clean and it’s for a scotch a shower and a little lovin’ for the lady. PERFECTION!!!

Substitute rum and Coke’s and you have a perfect day!

Nice and what a day, congrats

How is it that people are catching "keeper" chinooks at Coal when, as of Aug 1st, half the island is covered by a chinook non-retention zone and the other half is a permanent RCA?

How is it that people are catching "keeper" chinooks at Coal when, as of Aug 1st, half the island is covered by a chinook non-retention zone and the other half is a permanent RCA?
The common reference to "Coal" on this forum is actually the area south and east of Coal across the channel from Coal Island - which is open.

Thanks for getting me out on the Stizz McBoat. Not only a good day but the very unusual limit on Springs and not a cannon ball lost or even a tangle. That area of Coal is not an easy area to fish as it’s the size of a football field scattered with panicles everywhere but Steve has mastered this area. There’s always something new to learn that happens every time I’m out fishing, yesterday I witnessed a new use for a horse shoe “the lucky bonker”. Thanks pal for a great afternoon, gotta get me some of those spoons.

Attachments

• B8BEEFA4-EEF9-4571-B173-32F532B675E4.jpeg
    B8BEEFA4-EEF9-4571-B173-32F532B675E4.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 35
The common reference to "Coal" on this forum is actually the area south and east of Coal across the channel from Coal Island - which is open.
Thanks, makes sense now. To me, fishing Coal Island always meant the area bounded by Charmer Pt on Coal, south to Dock Island and east to Greig Island, an area I decorated with a lot of gear over the last 25 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back