2022 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have clarified, as of Sept 5, 2 wild inside, 2 hatch outside, total of 4. Some new no salmon fishing zones added for this year.

How is everything there? I haven’t been for a couple of years but heard Bud is no longer involved and don’t see anymore fishing report updates that I always checked in on.
Ya fishing report is non existing anymore,somebody at the marina use to do it for the website I think and no longer does, I don’t think Rex is interested in doing it.Bud is no longer part owner but is around al the time.

Ya fishing report is non existing anymore,somebody at the marina use to do it for the website I think and no longer does, I don’t think Rex is interested in doing it.Bud is no longer part owner but is around al the time.
Nice to hear things haven’t changed too much. I love it there. Thanks for the update.

The springs are still waiting for the rain on the Nitinat. Coho might be mixing in now, too. First big rain is gonna be nutzo.
Heading there for the first time for 4 days starting Friday. Any tips on where/how to fish in the bay by boat to take advantage of wild coho? Any word on springs success on Nitinat bank? Looking for a starting point or two if anyone would be so kind. Will post updates on the weekend.

Heading there for the first time for 4 days starting Friday. Any tips on where/how to fish in the bay by boat to take advantage of wild coho? Any word on springs success on Nitinat bank? Looking for a starting point or two if anyone would be so kind. Will post updates on the weekend.
Coho I’m the bay are hard to catch, I am sure with lots of time you might get a few, right at the mouth of the river they school up but get lock jaw, from the red can out into deeper water is where the coho action is, look for the boats out there and join the pack, it’s that easy. Spring fishing is pretty much over, not saying there isn’t a few still going by but most are going to be past there prime. Have not heard anything about late springs at nitinat, long boat ride just to go have a look, it could be ok for late springs but personally I would not bother, coho fishing can be fantastic right in front of the bay offshore. Pay attention to the new no fishing area,east of the bay is open

Coho I’m the bay are hard to catch, I am sure with lots of time you might get a few, right at the mouth of the river they school up but get lock jaw, from the red can out into deeper water is where the coho action is, look for the boats out there and join the pack, it’s that easy. Spring fishing is pretty much over, not saying there isn’t a few still going by but most are going to be past there prime. Have not heard anything about late springs at nitinat, long boat ride just to go have a look, it could be ok for late springs but personally I would not bother, coho fishing can be fantastic right in front of the bay offshore. Pay attention to the new no fishing area,east of the bay is open
Thanks so much Brutus, that's really helpful! I'll post results.

Brutus nailed it, if you want to try fishing in the bay near the river pick an ebb tide, coho will stack up . Try a bucktail or flash fly , watch for jumpers and get in front of them.

Back from two days at Renfrew. Some smaller springs picked up at East Point using anchovy. Went out to the 550' off Logan, ended up with two springs (8 and 9#) and two hatch coho. Released a few wild at the boat and quite a few we never saw. Managed to catch four of those pesky mackerel. Caught at 120' and 80' on blue yellow hootchie with a silver insert and blue green flashfly. Dead flat

Went to the 550' of Botanical Beach (20-3, no yellow closure). Same gear at 120' and 100'. Lots of fish on the sounder both days. Landed a 14# spring, another spring and a 8 # hatch coho. Foggy and calm.

Speaking to others, some coho being caught by boat in the bay at the mouth of the river. Bright, shiny up to 10#.

Back from two days at Renfrew. Some smaller springs picked up at East Point using anchovy. Went out to the 550' off Logan, ended up with two springs (8 and 9#) and two hatch coho. Released a few wild at the boat and quite a few we never saw. Managed to catch four of those pesky mackerel. Caught at 120' and 80' on blue yellow hootchie with a silver insert and blue green flashfly. Dead flat

Went to the 550' of Botanical Beach (20-3, no yellow closure). Same gear at 120' and 100'. Lots of fish on the sounder both days. Landed a 14# spring, another spring and a 8 # hatch coho. Foggy and calm.

Speaking to others, some coho being caught by boat in the bay at the mouth of the river. Bri

Speaking to others, some coho being caught by boat in the bay at the mouth of the river. Bright, shiny up to 10#.
Thanks for the report! Heading out this morning and here for next few days so will post. What is Logan?

Found a shwack last week offshore around the 400-450’ mark, between 20-30’ on the wire. White & purple gear, and keep the throttle peppy. Favourite fishery by far.

A little bumpy today but got two smaller springs btwn own and camper, lost one nice coho at the boat and lots of shakers. Pot full of undersize crab at Thrasher. Trolled up a number of rockfish near Owen point. Didn’t get too far offshore with the wind though. Supposed to be calmer tomorrow so hopefully can get out to 500 or so.

been to renfrew Saturday,thanks for 400 -500 foot starting point.caught fish from surface lol hand set the hook on one beauty hatch ,to 70ft ,they seem to turn off at one ish,tide change,used small herring in chovy heads,faster seemed better,hard for me as a moocher,my partner liked speed ,but darn he got hits.lotsa feed and a 3 whale show.went back Tuesday,all the same ,beauty day,flat water,also orcas this time as well as whales .bait ball on way in at the cam buoy,fish rising above and below bridge as we drove over,ps 4 or 5 boats at east point-woods nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back