2022 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put the boat in at Pacific Gateway for the usual two weeks. Fished the beach Wednesday, but only for a few hours and then all day yesterday. One shaker was it. Some guys on the radio were saying it was the worst they had experienced. Hope it turns on soon.

Last report for me for this summer as I pulled the boat last night. Cleaning up the cabin and on the 7:00 ferry in the morning.
The beach fishing was slow for the last three days and crabbing is slow but seems a bit better this week if you keep fresh bait in the traps. Enough for a meal anyways.
I took my neighbour and my son out to the Ranch yesterday on an absolute beautiful day. Flat water and lots of sun. We picked through the Springs and brought back 4 along with our limit of Coho. We switched over to drift for Halibut and picked up 3 pretty quickly. Nothing big all just under the 90cm mark. Great ride back at 30mph except for the slow down area of course…. Another great couple of months enjoying the place and the boat. Now back to the work and kids sports and school grind. Good luck the rest of the summer and post up some fish pictures for gods sakes to keep me going! Lol

Last edited:
Put the boat in at Pacific Gateway for the usual two weeks. Fished the beach Wednesday, but only for a few hours and then all day yesterday. One shaker was it. Some guys on the radio were saying it was the worst they had experienced. Hope it turns on soon.
The Jackel told me it’s the worst he’s seen in the over 30 years he’s fished there

Last report for me for this summer as I pulled the boat last night. Cleaning up the cabin and on the 7:00 ferry in the morning.
The beach fishing was slow for the last three days and crabbing is slow but seems a bit better this week if you keep fresh bait in the traps. Enough for a meal anyways.
I took my neighbour and my son out to the Ranch yesterday on an absolute beautiful day. Flat water and lots of sun. We picked through the Springs and brought back 4 along with our limit of Coho. We switched over to drift for Halibut and picked up 3 pretty quickly. Nothing big all just under the 90cm mark. Great ride back at 30mph except for the slow down area of course…. Another great couple of months enjoying the place and the boat. Now back to the work and kids sports and school grind. Good luck the rest of the summer and post up some fish pictures fir gods sakes to keep me going! Lol
Where's the Ranch?

Fished Saturday woods first thing not a sniff. When the fog clear scooted out to camper. 2 shakers and a bunch of black bass. Must have been a swarm out there anchovie on the surface waiting to send down and wham. Crazy

Put a trip together this past weekend. Launched at PGM Saturday morning at 5:15. FIshed Woods Nose/East Pt. For 3 hours with out getting a bite. Didn’t even see a net out. Moved to camper and again, saw maybe one fish caught. We were preparing for a skunk show. Ended up with a small bite around 2:00 just East of Camper. Hooked into a nice 25lb spring. High fived and carried on. Went back to the dock and sorted out camp. Went out for a night bite. Nothing……I mean nothing. No nets, no fish, no nothing. It was unreal.
Sunday was the same thing, we had to be off the water by 12:30. We fished from Camper to Walbran. On the troll back with only 5 minutes left, a 17 lb smoked the rod. Threw it in the boat and took off. All in all, happy to get fish. I suspect some people beach fishing got nada. Still a beauty place, and will be back.

Put a trip together this past weekend. Launched at PGM Saturday morning at 5:15. FIshed Woods Nose/East Pt. For 3 hours with out getting a bite. Didn’t even see a net out. Moved to camper and again, saw maybe one fish caught. We were preparing for a skunk show. Ended up with a small bite around 2:00 just East of Camper. Hooked into a nice 25lb spring. High fived and carried on. Went back to the dock and sorted out camp. Went out for a night bite. Nothing……I mean nothing. No nets, no fish, no nothing. It was unreal.
Sunday was the same thing, we had to be off the water by 12:30. We fished from Camper to Walbran. On the troll back with only 5 minutes left, a 17 lb smoked the rod. Threw it in the boat and took off. All in all, happy to get fish. I suspect some people beach fishing got nada. Still a beauty place, and will be back.
Any chance u guys were on the far outside of all the boats and hooting and hollering when u got that 25pounder?? Haha

That’s been our experience fishing the beach the last few days. Ventured out to Swiftsure Bank with my son today for the first time. We got a spring, a hatch coho and a halibut, so we were pleased. Will likely head out there again if the excellent weather holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back