2022 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried the beach from Camper to Walbran this morning for 3 hours. Not a sniff. Saw one small salmon caught. That’s all, so we bailed out. Creel surveyor confirmed that very few being caught in that area. The drought continues, unfortunately.

Spent weekend in renfrew. Fished a bit at east point and did some crabbing. Spoke to lots of local friends and it is very slow on the beach. East point was super busy, not because it was producing, just because it was close and nothing was happening further west. Things could/ should change with the better tides coming this week.
Lots of salmon and Hali at the bank. Tons of female crabs with a few big hard shell makes in the mix. Best crabbing for keepers is deeper water 60ftish out further towards east point. The usual areas near thrasher bay producing full traps of females.
Winds were calm and weather was good.

I've taken a few days off. Just wondering if any springs are showing up on the beach or is Swiftsure still the only realistic option?

Has fishing picked up on the beach? Saw a guy's post on Facebook saying he did well yesterday and today.
Might have to take Thursday off!

Last edited:
Got back from 3 days in fairly good conditions. Picked up two springs a day. No real consistent spots, off Cullite, off Camper in 100' of water, then a couple off Woods Nose and Hammond Rocks. Biggest 26, rest in the mid teens. Anchovy worked well, with a glow green spot hootchie in 2nd place. No coho which was a surprise considering last week you couldn't keep them off.

Had a pleasant weekend in Renfrew but the fishing was very quiet. Fished Woods Nose to. East Point from dawn to eleven am on Saturday with not a sniff other than shakers. Saw two decent fish caught all morning. Tried Camper on Sunday and picked up three small feeders and lost two more at the boat (all on chartreuse hootchies at 45 ft just off the beach so was at least able to send guests from Vancouver home with something. Saw several nice fish caught so it seems there are a few around. Crabing totally sucked but that was expected for late August. Highlight of the weekend was a toss up between the steaks my brother brought and a swim in Lizard Lake.

Finished the day at Cerantes with 3 20+. Lots of folks were catching. Skinny g blue with green flashers did the the business for us. Lots of boats. Fish are moving through. We’ll see if they’re around tmrw.
And as follow up to this: bit snotty today but hit coho at the Nose and some west of the bell. Couldn’t fish past noon because of the wind. Crabbing was strong at Thrasher. Managed 6 keepers after careful attention; someone had definitely pulled one of my pots overnight.

Could anyone on here please help clarify where we can now fish for and retain coho at renfrew? Depending on which link you clink on or chart you view it seems different. Are we still allowed two hatchery fish outside the canbouy as usual? Two wild inside the bay?

Y
Could anyone on here please help clarify where we can now fish for and retain coho at renfrew? Depending on which link you clink on or chart you view it seems different. Are we still allowed two hatchery fish outside the canbouy as usual? Two wild inside the bay?Yes, but there is a huge no fishing area offshore now, starts at about 350ft of water

Could anyone on here please help clarify where we can now fish for and retain coho at renfrew? Depending on which link you clink on or chart you view it seems different. Are we still allowed two hatchery fish outside the canbouy as usual? Two wild inside the bay?
As of Sept 5th, 2 wild inside, 2 outside. Until then, 2 hatch only.

As of Sept 5th, 2 wild inside, 2 outside. Until then, 2 hatch only.
Unless it change from last year, I doubt it has, no wild outside till Oct 1, 2hatch only, will double check the board later, I am here at the marina now, but she’s a bit wet to go look lol. Fishing is very poor last few days, got my 2 on Friday, nothing sat and this morning, last day for me tomorrow, closing camp and bringing boat back on Tuesday. Just had a look at the board,4 per day 2xwild and 2x hatch in the bay as of sept 5, 2x hatch only outside, then 4x only one wild outside on the first of Oct. Derby is over all 3 top fish in the 30, winner at 34 plus

Last edited:
Unless it change from last year, I doubt it has, no wild outside till Oct 1, 2hatch only, will double check the board later, I am here at the marina now, but she’s a bit wet to go look lol. Fishing is very poor last few days, got my 2 on Friday, nothing sat and this morning, last day for me tomorrow, closing camp and bringing boat back on Tuesday
Are you at PR Marina?

Thanks Brutus knowing it’s aprox 350 FOW is very helpful. I was poking around out from the buoy yesterday but was none too
sure where the yellow “no salmon” zone started out there so trolled back into east point instead and we picked up an 8 liber in 200 fow. Big whale show out in yellow zone yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back