2022 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
fished out of nitnat Sunday afternoon no springs 2boats,from the hole to klanawa,out to swift,1ling,2passes at the bar 19:00 ish ,no Sammy’s but a baby grey said hi at the bar ….really cool,bar was flat.
Question I read area 20-1,20-2 open on July 14 ,agreeably 1 day,but just checking

weird,I’m on bc fishing regs ,area numbers limits closures updates etc.area 19 is the same date,it is an odd date
I’ll err on the side of caution,cheers n gl

weird,I’m on bc fishing regs ,area numbers limits closures updates etc.area 19 is the same date,it is an odd date
I’ll err on the side of caution,cheers n gl

Attachments

• BE7B7F7D-5804-4C7E-AD74-D26DFC87C50C.png
    BE7B7F7D-5804-4C7E-AD74-D26DFC87C50C.png
    402.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 668277B5-C18D-45A4-A7BE-7E9B7B21ED89.png
    668277B5-C18D-45A4-A7BE-7E9B7B21ED89.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 64564A35-B429-4EAF-AABD-6C7043D441DA.png
    64564A35-B429-4EAF-AABD-6C7043D441DA.png
    297.1 KB · Views: 147
It was a wet opening day for Salmon in Renfrew. We started the day going for Halibut and ended the day with a couple of nice Springs. DFO has three boats at the marina and making their presence this weekend.

Attachments

• C20667DB-00B5-46DD-BDF6-D8AE8DADC209.jpeg
    C20667DB-00B5-46DD-BDF6-D8AE8DADC209.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 190
  • D88CB217-39F6-441A-A161-AE1218825BAD.jpeg
    D88CB217-39F6-441A-A161-AE1218825BAD.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 189
Nice fish.
Nice DFO was making their presence, they are such a cheery and supportive bunch.
I’ll make sure I have lots of koolaid aboard for when I’m up, in case they get thirsty..

Nice fish.
Nice DFO was making their presence, they are such a cheery and supportive bunch.
I’ll make sure I have lots of koolaid aboard for when I’m up, in case they get thirsty..
It was a wet opening day for Salmon in Renfrew. We started the day going for Halibut and ended the day with a couple of nice Springs. DFO has three boats at the marina and making their presence this weekend.
3 dfo boats...that must be their total flotilla?
did anyone see them enforcing the much needed 10 knot speed limit to protect the whales..lol

The boy and I went out to the Ranch this morning. Great ride out and watched a few Humpbacks along the way. It was lumpy once we started trolling but only needed one pass to get our Springs. Nothing big but quality fish. We switched over to drift for Halibut and picked up a 40 and a 34lber. I made the mistake of showing my son the Halibut length/weight chart so now we have to weigh every one when we hit the dock. It’s actually amazing how close it is. We headed back to the dock before 11:00 and pretty sure @brutus was drifting by while we were packing up. Another epic day for a dad that loves to fish and a son who so far is just as keen.

Attachments

• C06DDC50-3ED7-42F5-940C-F75B09BA43C9.jpeg
    C06DDC50-3ED7-42F5-940C-F75B09BA43C9.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
The boy and I went out to the Ranch this morning. Great ride out and watched a few Humpbacks along the way. It was lumpy once we started trolling but only needed one pass to get our Springs. Nothing big but quality fish. We switched over to drift for Halibut and picked up a 40 and a 34lber. I made the mistake of showing my son the Halibut length/weight chart so now we have to weigh everyone when we hit the dock. It’s actually amazing how close it is. We headed back to the dock before 11:00 and pretty sure @brutus was drifting by while we were packing up. Another epic day for a dad that loves to fish and a son who so far is just as keen.
Yup, that was me, first trip to the ranch for me in a long time, same report lots of smallish springs and a few hatch coho, only one hali for us, North east corner did not produce for us early so went to the ranch, going to be a while before I go Back that way, slow day at the beach is more my thing now a day I guess lol

Yup, that was me, first trip to the ranch for me in a long time, same report lots of smallish springs and a few hatch coho, only one hali for us, North east corner did not produce for us early so went to the ranch, going to be a while before I go Back that way, slow day at the beach is more my thing now a day I guess lol
Was a bit of an elevator ride out at the bank, eh? Hard core fishing out there. Nice catch but do you really need to go out to the bank for Hali? Many years ago I was out there with Heavy Hauler and I was sea sick really bad in a moderate swell, in the fog while a tug was pulling a barge that came real close to us, we still limited out. Fishing out there is extreme fishing in all sorts of ways. Always an adventure out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was a bit of an elevator ride out at the bank, eh? Hard core fishing out there. Nice catch but do you really need to go out to the bank for Hali? Many years ago I was out with Heavy Hauler and I was sea sick really bad in a moderate swell, in the fog while a tug was pulling a barge that came real close to us, we still limited out. Fishing out there is extreme fishing in all sorts of ways. Always an adventure out there.
No you don’t need to go to the ranch for Hali,but my usual spots did not produce, in a the 2 hrs we tryed,usually better before July, so off to the ranch we went, I usually don’t fish for salmon out there, catching feeder size fish in deep water is kind of meh,, heavy hauler is a good friend of mine, great fisherman the 25 mile run up that way is hard on the old back

No you don’t need to go to the ranch for Hali,but my usual spots did not produce, in a the 2 hrs we tryed,usually better before July, so off to the ranch we went, I usually don’t fish for salmon out there, catching feeder size fish in deep water is kind of meh,, heavy hauler is a good friend of mine, great fisherman the 25 mile run up that way is hard on the old back
Yes he is a good guy and fisherman. Haven't seen him in a while, hope he is ok. I'm sure he will be at the beach in August at 330am daily!:D

Oh he is ok he is out fishing today
Glad to hear that, my wife and I were wondering how he is. Say hi to him for me, from the Chantrelle guy and I'll stop by one of these days to see him. Thanks for the update.

Was a bit of an elevator ride out at the bank, eh? Hard core fishing out there. Nice catch but do you really need to go out to the bank for Hali? Many years ago I was out there with Heavy Hauler and I was sea sick really bad in a moderate swell, in the fog while a tug was pulling a barge that came real close to us, we still limited out. Fishing out there is extreme fishing in all sorts of ways. Always an adventure out there.
No you don’t need to make the run but all part of the game for me. I even caught a 20lb Halibut while trolling at East Point a few years back. They are easy to get close to shore in the Spring especially. Definitely not for everyone heading out there.

Last edited:
Hope I didn’t screw up and book vacation too early planning on fishing the beach august 1-7 once the 80cm rule is lifted. Found 16 packs of anchovies had to really search to find any this year. Hope to hear some. Better reports this coming week. Good luck everyone.

Fished Sunday with my dad and son. We made the run to NitNat in the morning and caught 4 low teen Springs and lost a few more. Headed offshore for the tide change and anchored up. Got one right away and once the tide swung the other 2 were in the boat in less than an hour. We lost a few others so not sure what the deal was. Water was dead flat but it’s been windy the last few days. Looks like it’s going to cooperate for the 15th. We have done a lot of catch and release the last few weeks and there seems to be decent fish around. Crabbing is a bit on the slow side but still some big hard crabs to be had.
wow what conditions that is

Hope I didn’t screw up and book vacation too early planning on fishing the beach august 1-7 once the 80cm rule is lifted. Found 16 packs of anchovies had to really search to find any this year. Hope to hear some. Better reports this coming week. Good luck everyone.
You never really know about timing of runs. So many variables

I’m confident your timing will be good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back