2022 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say they have their escapement numbers and the cameras are still right plugged with fish non stop. Still lots of fish.

Cousin was out this morning from 6-7:30 and not a bite. Yesterday they limited out, so it is still hit and miss. With the weather warming up and the rain slowing down the fishing should start picking up.

I am hoping to launch at Clutesi launch on Monday morning for morning sockeye fishing. Tide is only 0.4m/1.3ft at 6am. It's a small boat, 17ft, will it be ok to launch then?

Yes the weather has been so bad that the river is running high, we launched on a minus tide on Thursday and there was tons of water.

Sitting at ferry trying to decide whether to stop in Port in the way to the coast. Thanks for the reports.

I was down on Sunday and saw around 75 commercial boats anchored up ready to go . Not sure when the opening is or was but that may explain the bit of a slowdown.

When does this run typically taper off? I’m wondering if July 13 is going to be too late to give these a try.
We never used to start until the second week of July. As it gets hotter and the water warms, it forms a thermal wall that stops the fish and they start to stack. Fishing just gets better. If the commies don't take them all it should be fine. One year, fishing with a 6" Tomic for Springs in August along the Lone Tree wall we were still catching Sockeye. jc Tuna Maru

Report form this morning was another very slow morning and nothing to slow for it.

Test reports from Monday and Tuesday showed more sockeye on the outside, then the inside. So the inside fish must of shot up the river.

the gillnet opening would of cleaned out a bunch of the fish.

any tide could bring back in a new push tho.

Heard this morning was another very slow morning and dry cleaning tables at the dock

From the gill-netters association

The Barkley Sound Roundtable met this afternoon.

**Before I give the update, I need to remind everyone that they MUST call in their logbook catches or file their Elog report the day of the fishery. It's not good enough to wait until the morning, it makes it hard for us to ask the DFO to act quickly when they can turn around and point at the logbook numbers and say that they can't act because they don't know how much fish was caught. In our first fishery this year we had 118 boats fishing, but only had 80 call in their catch by Wednesday noon, and we are STILL waiting on 20 boats to call in and it is already Thursday afternoon. Please call in the catch report once you are in cell range as soon as possible after it closes. Thanks.**

Estimated catch for Area D from last week is 16,968 from 118 boats fishing.

Escapement as of Tuesday morning was 151,075 and escapement has continued strong yesterday and today as well.

The test boat estimates 80,000 fish in the canal outside of Ten Mile, and 25,000 inside of Ten Mile.

The approximate catch to date from all sectors is 60,000. The rec catch remains very low because the fish are just moving into the river too fast.

The run size has been upgraded from 400,000 to 550,000 adults. This is based on the amount of fish that have been seen in the entire system to date, but the expectation is tempered somewhat by the concern that the fish are most likely migrating early because of the ideal river conditions, and we may see a sharp cutoff in migration after the peak goes through.

Area D will open on Tuesday, June 28 for our regular 14 hour opening, 6am to 8pm in the traditional outside area. There is 13,000 TAC remaining for Area D at the new run size. If fishing is slow, then we probably wont catch it, and if fishing is good, then that means there is enough fish coming that the run is probably even larger than the upgrade. The table is (mostly)comfortable with this plan.

The Roundtable is going to have an extra meeting on Wednesday at 11am, to review what has happened over the weekend, what the test boat saw, how the seine fishery went, and what Area D caught (be sure to call in your logbook Tuesday night) The purpose of this extra meeting is to predict if the run size will be upgraded again on the official meeting Thursday afternoon. The reason we want to try and predict the upgrade early is because Area D cannot fish the outside area past June 30th in our efforts to protect Henderson Lake sockeye.

If the extra meeting on Wednesday predicts that there is (a)going to be another run upgrade and (b) there will be Area D TAC left over at the new run size, then we are going to try and plan another Area D opening SHORT NOTICE on THURSDAY, June 30th before the Henderson Closure comes into effect. This third opening is not a sure thing, I would say the chances of it happening are about 50:50, but you will be able to better predict it by the testing and the escapement as we go along. As we get closer, if things start to look worse, we may cancel the extra Wednesday meeting all together.

Any questions, comment below.
-Ryan

We've been out 5 or 6 times in the past 10 days.
No sockeye to show for the time.
Today I actually saw some smaller schools on the sounder, but still no hits.
The best guides in town aren't doing well either.
Hoping tomorrow is different, the new to us boat has yet to have salmon blood on it!

We've been out 5 or 6 times in the past 10 days.
No sockeye to show for the time.
Today I actually saw some smaller schools on the sounder, but still no hits.
The best guides in town aren't doing well either.
Hoping tomorrow is different, the new to us boat has yet to have salmon blood on it!
Same report I got today, no fish and water temps were 11. With the low water temperatures and now with warmer temperatures coming, more glacial runoff, and higher water in the river the fish are still going to shooting up the river. Anybody know what the numbers are at the counter? Just wondering what the record is for returns. With the fish I've heard that are going though there, I can't remember a time when they have gone though there like this. Hoping this bids well for the future.

1656130081089.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back