2022 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be up there tonight and all weekend, save some for us.

Another seine opening on the way... They don't give a rats....a..

About the rec guy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220701-143527.png
    Screenshot_20220701-143527.png
    216.7 KB · Views: 58
The target for the rivers is met. I don't mind the commercial openings but they should have them in the harbour and have the sport open from line tree to namint. Even with the commercial openings there is a ton of sockeye out there. It's the water temps that are our worst enemy right now. Need a few more warmer days and the river to drop a little more and we will be good to go. In the mean time hit the river and get your 2......

The target for the rivers is met. I don't mind the commercial openings but they should have them in the harbour and have the sport open from line tree to namint. Even with the commercial openings there is a ton of sockeye out there. It's the water temps that are our worst enemy right now. Need a few more warmer days and the river to drop a little more and we will be good to go. In the mean time hit the river and get your 2......
When they do a total mop up July 3-5 they are wiping out the genetic diversity of the run. No late fish in the rivers. I agree however that the seines should be limited to dumsmere to town or closer. Sports fishing generates a lot of $ for the local economy. Gas. Stations, grocery, hotels, campgrounds, tackle just to name a few.

It's only July 1st.....still another 100,000 fish to come I'm betting. Their goal is 30,000 or so. There will still be more. Usually it's the early fish that get hammered, this year they did extremely well. I still feel we will get a chance at them.

Fished from 5:30-10 and had 1 hit and that was it. Not as many boats as i thought being a long weekend. Never saw a fish caught and the creel lady at China Creek said only 1 fish came in so far. Pretty sad they open it up to the commercials before the long weekend, would of been nice if they could of waited till Monday. Anyway out tomorrow for another shot at them.

It's only July 1st.....still another 100,000 fish to come I'm betting. Their goal is 30,000 or so. There will still be more. Usually it's the early fish that get hammered, this year they did extremely well. I still feel we will get a chance at them.
Honestly, they don't have any idea what is to come...maybe not many? The only true numbers are what actually arrives, the rest is a guessing game stacked in favour of a few sectors.

Honestly, they don't have any idea what is to come...maybe not many? The only true numbers are what actually arrives, the rest is a guessing game stacked in favour of a few sectors.
Unfortunately their method of catching is better then your hook and line

Been out 4 times with one sockeye to show for it and have yet to see any other boats catch one either nor have I spoke to anyone at the dock thats getting any either. No fishery this year?

Been out 4 times with one sockeye to show for it and have yet to see any other boats catch one either nor have I spoke to anyone at the dock thats getting any either. No fishery this year?
DFO has given all the fish to the commercial sector. Continuous Gill net and seine openings leave nothing for the rec sector. However the rec sector generates the most $$ per pound per fish....dummies in control , sorry to say.

I have been sockeye fishing China Creek for about 45 years July Long weekend with family and friends. Most in our group have been fishing more then 25 years same weekend. This year has been the worst that I can remember. Can’t remember seeing so few boats out fishing this weekend. I think that it is ridiculous to have a commercial open before the long weekend, couldn’t they have waited till Monday to do their mop up operation.
Anyway was out again today and again no fish. Never saw a fish caught either. When we got back to the dock we saw 2 guys cleaning their 1 fish each, pretty sad. Will give it one more shot tomorrow and that will be it till August.

DFO has given all the fish to the commercial sector. Continuous Gill net and seine openings leave nothing for the rec sector. However the rec sector generates the most $$ per pound per fish....dummies in control , sorry to say.
You didn't read my post above. DFO doesn't care that the rec sector generates the most money into the economy in all aspects. When they were still doing weekly Thursday meetings at China Creek in the 90's, when confronted on exactly that fact, they admitted that the Sockeye fishery in Alberni Inlet IS A COMMERCIAL FISHERY, PERIOD! It's managed that way and will always be managed that way. If you think or believe anything different you are deluding your self. Most 'normal' years, if you pick your days 4 days after an opening (that's how long we calculated it took to restock the area from Mactush to Lone Tree) you can do alright and even have some stellar days. But that's in a 'normal' year with a warm weather Spring and decent returns. In cold water/wet return years, even with fantastic returns, if the water doesn't eventually warm up into the 21-22 degree range, no thermal barrier is created, the fish stay in the top 20' to 30', aren't really agressive, and blast straight through. There will be more fish arriving (in the early years we didn't even start fishing China Creek until the second week of July) throughout July. But if the water doesn't warm and the commies continue to get their openings, you're toast. The only positive is that it appears that ocean conditions are on the upswing and with the escapement this year you may see a million fish return in four years. Have fun. I'll be in Ukee catching our Columbia River 'Smilies'. jc Tuna Maru

In the mean time hit the river and get your 2......
I tried for socks in the Somass river today ... it's shoulder-to-shoulder in a tiny area in the rapids at Paper Mill Dam, just above the Paper Mill pool ... where, it so happens, the gill netters are out in full force rounding up a large portion of the fish trying to get to the rapids. Needless to say, it wasn't a successful outing. Lesson learned ... gotta get there earlier, before the netters get started.

Well last night our group made the decision not to fish today. With the weather forecast was for rain and the report that the gillnetters were going to be out in force, we decided to pass up fishing today. Instead we sat around and talked about the good old days and all the people we lost over the years who are no longer with us. All the kids that are now adults and now their kids who always make this trip so fun. Yes it wasn't a great trip for fishing this year, but this year we added 3 more fisher people to our group and hoping that they return for our annual trip. As usual we made our annual trip up to the fish ladder to see all the fish that got away and hopefully we see their offspring in 4 years. River was high and had a good flow this year almost to much as we didn't see any jumpers or even any large schools holding in the slower water. We did see good numbers going though the counter though, so that was a good thing. Anyway till next year we will see what happens. Reports we heard today was we didn't miss anything today.

Last edited:
Wait few more weeks left, sockeye commercial openings may slow down, sporties can catch sockeyes. I have caught sockeyes end of July or mid August before. One question is that the weather is cool with rain. Tough times.

There is 400k past the counters

I’d imagine that anything to come is pretty much allocated for catch

unless they are not two weeks early like they think and it’s a huge run.

the cams are absolutely stuff again this morning

Last edited:
Hmmmm ...those that are complaining must not read the posting that say the fishery is a round table process... FN.. commercial and sport interests all sit at a round table process which ALL interest are worked out together..... 2nd of all this year we have had one very cool weather system sit on us allowing slow snow melt, cooler then normal water temp and lots of water to allow these fish to swim into the lake.... usually these fish stall out because of warm weather, low water and high water temps.. schooling them up.. so I'm not surprised at all with the much lower catch rates... **** happens good for fish just not us this year...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back