2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ding! Ding! ring the tyee bell! Congratulations to Dave Brown (cohochinook) View attachment 82343getting the biggest fish of the year and in the Port Eliza Lodge era at 38lbs! A well deserved great day on the water in Esperanza! maybe a bit of a just reward after his tireless efforts to expand access to the public salmon fishery in BC for all of us!
Stayed at PEL same time as you last year Dave. Have a Double Eagle 206 Hardtop. You certainly know how to catch salmon as your group always did well. Great fish Dave.

Ding! Ding! ring the tyee bell! Congratulations to Dave Brown (cohochinook) View attachment 82343getting the biggest fish of the year and in the Port Eliza Lodge era at 38lbs! A well deserved great day on the water in Esperanza! maybe a bit of a just reward after his tireless efforts to expand access to the public salmon fishery in BC for all of us!
Thanks again Robert and Jim for another great trip. Already booked for the same dates next year!

go north up towards Maquinna and even more up towards Beano but if your bro doesn’t like the lighthouse he’ll be puking out his soul at Maquinna
We were at maquinna when he got really sick. Headed back on the inside of the lighthouse after. supposed to be a much calmer day tomorrow though so will probably try maquinna again. Had some good luck there yesterday morning with a 15 and a 17 and one that my bro broke as he reeled down thinking it was still on the clip when it was dying for a run

We were at maquinna when he got really sick. Headed back on the inside of the lighthouse after. supposed to be a much calmer day tomorrow though so will probably try maquinna again. Had some good luck there yesterday morning with a 15 and a 17 and one that my bro broke as he reeled down thinking it was still on the clip when it was dying for a run
Fish Hoise or Coopte in lieu. Numbers might or might not be there but put your time in and you’ll get some decent ones. Some fish have moved inside and are doing their rounds while they stage. Good luck!

So I have read through this page on Nootka a few times, and it all makes sense and many of you are mentioning the same spots. Only problem is that while the author did mark up some charts, the images aren't big enough to make out the numbering. So I'm having a hard time matching the descriptions to the highlighted areas on the charts. I gather that it basically goes from outside to inside, and I know where Cougar Creek is so I can kind of work it out, but it would be great to have a more detailed reference. Anyone who knows the area well care to help us interpret?

http://salmonuniversity.com/regions/british-columbia/nootka-sound

So I have read through this page on Nootka a few times, and it all makes sense and many of you are mentioning the same spots. Only problem is that while the author did mark up some charts, the images aren't big enough to make out the numbering. So I'm having a hard time matching the descriptions to the highlighted areas on the charts. I gather that it basically goes from outside to inside, and I know where Cougar Creek is so I can kind of work it out, but it would be great to have a more detailed reference. Anyone who knows the area well care to help us interpret?

http://salmonuniversity.com/regions/british-columbia/nootka-sound
Heres another map you can add and use. As far as more detail goes it’s kinda hard for people to do. It’s a big area and fish aren’t always on the same spot. It’s up to the individual to do your own homework. Use that map you have and use it against google maps, download the Navionics app and use the charts on there against the maps you’ve been provided. Read the posts on here and cross reference the names people use to get acquainted with the area. When you get to the area talk to people, eves drop on conversations to get a feel for where the bites are happening. Go back to your maps and mark the spots. When you get to the spots there will be boats there, pay attention to what they are doing, get in line and follow their tacks. In my boat I have printed off maps of areas that interest me. Use the Navionics app to get GPS coordinates on the spots listed on these maps so you can put them in and head to those spots. Go back and read old posts on this site and other sites. On this site there is years of historic saltwater reports to read through. Tons of info in them. Pay attention to the dates people are posting, where, what. The info is out there you just have to do some digging.

Attachments

• 96D1B891-81E7-490E-B68D-F4FD26F6D586.jpeg
    96D1B891-81E7-490E-B68D-F4FD26F6D586.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Fishing In Esperanza has been tough the last couple of days. SE winds have made things very rough even at Inner Black and Pin Rocks, and the inside fishery of Canuma fish hasn't gotten going yet. With Ferrer now closed its tough to find a spot in that southern wind. There were a few fish caught at partially protected areas like Rolling Roadstead, and a a report of a fish caught at Garden point attracted 20 or so boats there, but not much action. Weather looks better today so hopefully a more productive fishing day with the fishing grounds again being accessible!

Heres another map you can add and use. As far as more detail goes it’s kinda hard for people to do. It’s a big area and fish aren’t always on the same spot. It’s up to the individual to do your own homework. Use that map you have and use it against google maps, download the Navionics app and use the charts on there against the maps you’ve been provided. Read the posts on here and cross reference the names people use to get acquainted with the area. When you get to the area talk to people, eves drop on conversations to get a feel for where the bites are happening. Go back to your maps and mark the spots. When you get to the spots there will be boats there, pay attention to what they are doing, get in line and follow their tacks. In my boat I have printed off maps of areas that interest me. Use the Navionics app to get GPS coordinates on the spots listed on these maps so you can put them in and head to those spots. Go back and read old posts on this site and other sites. On this site there is years of historic saltwater reports to read through. Tons of info in them. Pay attention to the dates people are posting, where, what. The info is out there you just have to do some digging.
Thanks Walleyes, will definitely reference your map as well. Completely agree about doing my own research and will definitely be asking to staff and locals when we get to Moutcha. I'm a project manager by trade and a compulsive planner and researher so we're on the same page there. That link I posted above just seemed like a pretty good reference and as good a place to start as any, except for the fact that the author obviously intended the writeups and the highlighted charts to be cross referenced - but unfortunately the resolution of the images doesn't make that easy. I think I can more or less figure it out, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask here too!

Fish Hoise or Coopte in lieu. Numbers might or might not be there but put your time in and you’ll get some decent ones. Some fish have moved inside and are doing their rounds while they stage. Good luck!
Thanks. Had some luck this morning on the inside. Landed a 13 lb spring and my dad lost one probably closer to 20.

sorry for the off topic. I searched but didn’t find any info. Heading up to Nootka from Duncan and looking for where to get a cooler of ice on the way pulling a 24’ boat. Salt ice or ??
Thanks I’m advance. Rob

I’ve always gotten salt ice at Hub City in Nanaimo. Used to get it there all the time when picking up live prawn and delivering in Vancouver.

sorry for the off topic. I searched but didn’t find any info. Heading up to Nootka from Duncan and looking for where to get a cooler of ice on the way pulling a 24’ boat. Salt ice or ??
Thanks I’m advance. Rob
French creek seafood has sea ice.

Got back from Nootka yesterday. Stayed at Critter. Fishing was awesome.....the catching part...not so much. We managed 14 salmon and 9 lings. We were up from the 11th to 16th. The 15th we put in a 16ish hr day for 4 fish. Nothing big. The last morning we managed a 21lbr at Hoiss Pt. Great time non the less.

I’ve always gotten salt ice at Hub City in Nanaimo. Used to get it there all the time when picking up live prawn and delivering in Vancouver It’s not salt ice but flake ice at Campbell River Boatland is where I always go. Works good.
thanks,

anyone launching at Gold River on Tuesday morning? Running up to Tuta for a few days fishing. Was suppose to be 3 of us but one buddy hurt his back and had to bail. I’ll be running the boat in and my other buddy is driving in supplies. Planning on staying up there till after Aug long.
cheers. R

Just back after another 6 day stay at Nootka. Some days were spectacular others poor. We managed to get Springs inside and at the Lighthouse. We found first light produced best. Lots of hos at Wash. Got a small Hali offshore. We found ourselves losing a lot of fish. We could hook up but we’d long line release. Had to play with the gear to fix that. We used primarily Chovy this trip. Some average weather and snotty days offshore. Note to self, only pull boat out at Gold River with 4 feet of tide or more. It was dicey this morning. We had to load off the loading dock concrete ramp. Past the end of the concrete. Got to see that large rock though north of the seaplane dock. Wish I’d taken a pix but I was busy avoiding obstacles. It’s big and was out of the water today. Be careful there at low tide. Good luck guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back