2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So been up 5 days now. Fishing is probably the best I’ve seen it in the last 5 years at Nootka. Lots of fish from the Monument to Wash and just beyond. Our biggest is 19. Lots in the 10 lb range tho and lots of Coho in the 5 lb range. Water has been really calm. We’ve been off shore 3 days. Flat calm. Water has been really clean too. Beano has some Eel grass but that was manageable. I’ll post more details Saturday when I’m home. But 45 feet chovy and Tomic watermelon worked for us. Here’s a shot looking towards Beano this morning from Wash.
Happy to hear! I’m up in 5 days hopefully the fish just keep on moving in and it stays hot!

Is anyone finding halibut in Nootka this time of year? I’ve fished it for salmon the last 4 years but want to branch out a bit. Will be fishing out of Critter from July 20-25.

Is anyone finding halibut in Nootka this time of year? I’ve fished it for salmon the last 4 years but want to branch out a bit. Will be fishing out of Critter from July 20-25.
No halibut to speak of inside Nootka itself. I know that there are exceptions to that statement, but you pretty much have to go out past the lighthouse and fish the outside waters. Check your charts for structure, roughly 90 - 200 feet of water, and start experimenting. You should find them quite quickly There's quite a few of them out there. Good luck at it.

Last edited:
No halibut to speak of inside Nootka itself. I know that there are exceptions to that statement, but you pretty much have to go out past the lighthouse and fish the outside waters. Check your charts for structure, roughly 90 - 200 feet of water, and start experimenting. You should find them quite quickly There's quite a few of them out there. Good luck at it.
Thanks Pacemaker. I should’ve worded that better. I almost exclusively fish outside from the Lighthouse to Beano and everything inbetween. The only time I fish inside is if we’re out for an evening troll. I’ve heard of guys running clear to Estevan for flatfish(which is fine) but was hoping for something a little closer in. I’ll spend some time on Navionics.

Thanks Pacemaker. I should’ve worded that better. I almost exclusively fish outside from the Lighthouse to Beano and everything inbetween. The only time I fish inside is if we’re out for an evening troll. I’ve heard of guys running clear to Estevan for flatfish(which is fine) but was hoping for something a little closer in. I’ll spend some time on Navionics.
One way that I like to experiment for Hali spots is to find a likely spot on the chart and drag bottom with a flasher/ hoochies combo on one side close to the rigger, and a whole herring on the other side, further back. Works very well…

Hi Pacemaker……are you heading back out this week. We are heading out Sunday.

We found everybody fishing pretty well from the Lighthouse to Beano. And the area is producing well most days. I was watching the inside and saw maybe two boats the 6 days we were there fishing around San Carlos. So yesterday one guy we know in camp tells me he can’t fish in rough water with his wife so he sticks inside only. He says he fished Hoiss a few hours and nailed 2 x 19 lbers’s on chovies. Weird but true. I guess they’re moving inside already. We spent 3 afternoons off shore for Hali with zero result. Picked up a nice 16lb Ling tho. Back up Monday for another tour.

In my experience....nothing. I'm sure there are some, just have never found them. Much better success on the outside around the reefs and pinnacles.

In my experience....nothing. I'm sure there are some, just have never found them. Much better success on the outside around the reefs and pinnacles.
I wonder if anyone has ever spent time working that huge steep deep wall you see on the left when leaving Moutcha Bay?

I mean having the boat right against the rocks and keeping the jig as close to the wall as possible all the way down- with some of the more modern gear out there now it shouldn't be that difficult.

I'd also like to know where Moutcha Bay lodge dumps the offal from fish cleaning every day-although that's more for Crab and/or Prawns

I have heard that the area from Escalante Pt. towards Barcester Bay is a no fishing zone from the beach out for a certain number of km/miles. Anyone have any info on this? I can't find anything in the regs.

I wonder if anyone has ever spent time working that huge steep deep wall you see on the left when leaving Moutcha Bay?

I mean having the boat right against the rocks and keeping the jig as close to the wall as possible all the way down- with some of the more modern gear out there now it shouldn't be that difficult.

I'd also like to know where Moutcha Bay lodge dumps the offal from fish cleaning every day-although that's more for Crab and/or Prawns
Head Bay closes for all finfish on July 15th. Check the Area 25 closure map and regs for specifics. DFO was on the water and in the air this past weekend.

Fishing has been very good out front.

We caught a 132cm Haly two days ago. After trying to measure it 5 times in the water it got the spear.

Attachments

• EB96F5AF-B452-4BBE-98B8-9E6C2DF0C5C2.jpeg
    EB96F5AF-B452-4BBE-98B8-9E6C2DF0C5C2.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 164
  • FB12D16B-C160-4864-B5D3-054DD93544B9.jpeg
    FB12D16B-C160-4864-B5D3-054DD93544B9.jpeg
    467.3 KB · Views: 158

There was/is a dogfish party for staff and kids some nights off the end of the Moutcha dock, so...

What’s the scoop on jiggin for rockfish in the sound? Much action or more luck offshore like for halibut and king?
the sound is filled with brown bombers .huge pain in the butt. i have caught rockfish in the spanish pilot group while waiting for the 35 km winds to come down. closer to the outside. look for pinnacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back