2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am only familiar with Esperanza and the North end of Nootka (Ferrer Pt) but the error I see is the Whale’s Tail (8). The Whale’s Tail we were taken to is about 13 miles offshore out by the Pinnacles (2) and what is referred to as the Highway because of all the runs that pass by.
I believe Jurassic Park is the area inside Grassy Island and down to Jurassic Pt.
You can avoid the swells by fishing Rosa or further inside at the Gardens, same side of Esperanza. One summer I was there the Gardens was better than offshore for Chinook. (And a lot nicer and shorter boat ride).
Sometimes inside grassy is called the mushroom because of mushroom point-can be verrry productive plus after you make the boat ride-lots of bottom fish in the area plus lots of other areas to fish sallmon' Pretty protected area . If it gets rough while up there always swing way seaward of tatchu point --can get really snotty in tight -otherwise fish it for white fish!

Interesting. Yeah I am sure we will hit all those areas don't think we will be going out too highway are anything crazy far. Most of these locations are really close when I looked at Navionics. I am not going to stay in Esperanza inside all the time. Want to explore outside areas a bit. Just not going out miles offshore in area not familiar with.

Last edited:
Interesting. Yeah I am sure we will hit all those areas don't think we will be going out too highway are anything crazy far. Most of these locations are really close when I looked at Navionics. I am not going to stay in Esperanza inside all the time. Want to explore outside areas a bit. Just not going out miles offshore in area not familiar with.
You don’t have to go far outside to find fish. The North Channel by all the Rocks ( Black, Mid, Outer Black and Low) and across at Pin can be really productive and Ferrer Pt is worth the ride too. Good luck; I’ll be looking for your reports.

Thanks for all this info on Esperanza I know zero about this fishery. I am mean zero....

Never ever fished in Nootka or Esperanza. I will be up there 2nd week of August with our group of boats out of Port Eliza Lodge so should be an experience. I was also wondering where pin rocks was....

I might be limited how much offshore stuff (hopefully not) I can do as I have my kid with me and he is not a fan of large swells etc.
It’ll be like a lake when you’re there

We just got back from Nootka. Limited on chinooks easlily (all red). Two days ago we were targeting coho at warp speed and kept hooking up nooks. We caught and released 14 chinook in 4 hours. It was crazy. Most were between 15 & 18 lbs and the biggest was the last one of the day at over 20 lbs, easily. What a problem to have eh. Wee gee's were the ticket. We didn't have to go far (black rock, mid rock, outer black rock, low rock, inner black) on most days. Island 40, south west of Rosa and before blind reef, was probably the best spot. If it is snotty, Rosa can produce as well. If you are heading up, check out the historical reports connected to this site or West View Marina. Lots of good info already there. Gold river parking is run by https://www.yuquot.ca/fishing/ We paid $110 for 6 night and the boat launch. Monthly (with unlimited launch) is $160 (I think). Their debit machine is not working right now so cash or you can pay on their site and email one of the people there with your receipt. Gated parking and apparently they are installing cameras in a week or so? Make sure you hit high tide with a big boat. Very shallow. Drop off your fish at Port Eliza at the end of the day and they will flash freeze it and seal it for you to pick up on your way out of town. Good option to have if you don't want to vacuum and freeze yourself. Rob will fill you in on what happened that day out on the water as well.

Just got back from 3 nights at Port Eliza Lodge. Friday we found a few chinooks at Pin Rocks, largest being 28 lbs and alot more at High Rock from 10-19 lbs. Saturday we fished lings at the Guitar and had the most amazing day trolling for them. Back out to the Guitar Sunday morning and picked up some more before heading home. No halibut but we did bring up a 5 ft wolf eel. Robert and his crew took very good care of us and will certainly be going back.

Attachments

• IMG-2604.jpg
    IMG-2604.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG-2596.jpg
    IMG-2596.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG-2587.jpg
    IMG-2587.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 234
Thanks for all this info on Esperanza I know zero about this fishery. I am mean zero....

Never ever fished in Nootka or Esperanza. I will be up there 2nd week of August with our group of boats out of Port Eliza Lodge so should be an experience. I was also wondering where pin rocks was....

I might be limited how much offshore stuff (hopefully not) I can do as I have my kid with me and he is not a fan of large swells etc.
In august there will be action inside the inlet if its snotty outside!

Fishing continues to be productive in Esperanza, often 10 minutes run from the lodge. Inner Black, Pin rocks and Low rock have all had their moments, and Ferrer has produced too. The mushroom point area has been hit and miss, but it usually gets going about now with the squid coming in there to spawn. Fish have been hitting hootchies, coho killers, skinny g's, so a variety of gear has worked. Of course anchovies have too if you can find them and are wealthy enough to buy some! My son is up working this summer but gets out to fish sometimes and picked up this nice 18lb fish at inner black.

Alex june 25.jpg

Just got back from 3 nights at Port Eliza Lodge. Friday we found a few chinooks at Pin Rocks, largest being 28 lbs and alot more at High Rock from 10-19 lbs. Saturday we fished lings at the Guitar and had the most amazing day trolling for them. Back out to the Guitar Sunday morning and picked up some more before heading home. No halibut but we did bring up a 5 ft wolf eel. Robert and his crew took very good care of us and will certainly be going back.
Im still learning the area as its my first year up there. But where is Guitar? We were at the lodge sametime as you and your fish were beauties!

Hey Guys,

Trying to get a handle on the regulations before heading up on July 13th.

It looks like based on the DFO's website there is some confusing/conflicting information.

It states as per the screen shot below area 125 is non-retention until Jul 14th.Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 6.22.13 PM.png

But also states that seaward of the WCVI Boundary Line Chinook is non-retention

Seaward_of_the_WCVI_Boundary_Line-125.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 6.25.21 PM.png

Will that change to Open-2/4/10 on the 14th or are you not able to retain Chinook in area 125 period?

I'm aware of all the RCA's as well as finish closure areas which take place on the starting on the 15th, but haven't been able to crack this part of the DFO's regs.

Hey Guys,

Trying to get a handle on the regulations before heading up on July 13th.

It looks like based on the DFO's website there is some confusing/conflicting information.

It states as per the screen shot below area 125 is non-retention until Jul 14th.View attachment 81638

But also states that seaward of the WCVI Boundary Line Chinook is non-retention

View attachment 81640

View attachment 81639

Will that change to Open-2/4/10 on the 14th or are you not able to retain Chinook in area 125 period?

I'm aware of all the RCA's as well as finish closure areas which take place on the starting on the 15th, but haven't been able to crack this part of the DFO's regs.
Pretty sure updated regs will come out before July 1 re Chinook retention in the area. Last year post July 14 you could take a slot limit Chinook in area 125. I think it was fish size up to around 15 lbs. Don’t remember exact cm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back