2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inlet is full of logs right now. Lots of dirty black partially sunken ones between China Creek and Nahmint. Full sized saw logs. Guy hit one yesterday morning by China Creek and busted up his leg enough that the boat almost sunk. Some assistance by others kept it from being a larger disaster. Navigate with caution

x4 watch out for Dead heads. Just got my props back from North Island Propellor. They did a great job.
X5, buddy got his lower unit ripped clean off. Had to come back on his kicker and then hit another one and chipped one of the blades on his kicker. Very expensive 1.5 hour outing…. Stay safe everyone.

Probably the slowest trip I've ever had to Bamfield this past weekend, although due to Brady's beach and the weather it was still a success for the kids.

Fished 5 AM to noon on Saturday at Fleming/Sanford, Cree and Keeha Bay - got one 4 pound hatchery Coho and a handful of probably barely legal but released Chinooks. Lots of small bait around (presumably baby needlefish or herring). Took the kids to Brady's beach for most the rest of the day, then popped out to the wall for a quick evening fish and had about a 10 or 12 pound Chinook on a herring aid skinny G up to the boat and it popped off.

Sunday AM hit Whittlestone area for about three hours, had three Chinook on, landed one about 8 pounds. Not much bait. Moved back to the wall for the last hour and picked up a 16, 8, and 6-7 pounder. Glow white needlefish hootchy was the ticket for what little action we had. A seal bit two of the fish and was following us constantly but miraculously we managed to get both in. Looked like some others were getting a bit of action there.

Certainly based on the dock talk I had with others I'd temper my expectations for inside fishing right now, at least until the next wave of fish arrives.

Tons of sockeye jumping and all over the sounder in the top 25 feet. Unfortunately tons of gillnets and seiners working as we ran back to Port yesterday, then a river full of gillnets we had to navigate to get the boat out... those sockeye are swimming into a wall of nets!

Also I can concur with the reports about logs in the inlet, probably the worst I've ever seen.

On the positive side, I did hear of, and saw on the dock, excellent hali reports/catches for anyone heading out to the bank.

What a difference a week can make in the fishing. I had some friends out from Alberta and we had to grind hard to get our Chinook. Found some fish at Sanford, Kirby, swale and sail rock. Fish were all still small with the biggest being 14ish pounds. Did manage to find 8 coho as well and limited out on Hali Friday in two hours and had 10 Hali to the boat! Couldn't have asked for better weather as the sun was shinning all weekend and no wind at all! Chinook were found early in the am and the bite was very short. Coho killers, ap needle fish and hoochies were the ticket. Hoochies got the better grade of fish. The fish all had tiny bait fish in there stomach, about 1" long. We did one night fish from 6pm -9pm at Sanford and marked tons of bait and fish but didn't even get a bite. I think with the weather changing now fishing might pick back up.

Similar report for me. Fished Thursday - Sunday morning. Most productive very early between 5:30 a.m. and 7 a.m. For us, Pill Point was where we found most of the fish and an incredible amount of bait but had to wade through a ton of small chinook to find what we deemed keepers. Ended up keeping 7 Springs between my partner and I. 5 were between 10 and 13 pounds. We ran small AP sand lance spoons almost exclusively. Green/white was most productive. When we opened the fishes stomach's the bait was incredibly small - I'm assuming they were stickleback? It would be tough to find anything small enough in the tackle box to replicate. Wee Gee perhaps?
Went offshore to the Rats Nose when the wind laid down and were able to get some nice Hali fairly easily. Similar to the Springs, had to wade through and release a lot of ping pong paddles to get some decent size hali. Also picked up 4 Sablefish while jigging for hali at around 300 feet. Bonus fish. Strange to find them that shallow? I always thought they were at 600 feet plus?
No Coho for us but there was the odd one at the cleaning table. Most Coho were found at outer locations according to those who caught them.
We had plans to try for Sockeye but the dismal reports dissuaded us from even trying.
Great trip though. I had only fished Bamfield a couple times before. Tried some new locations, learnt a lot, and weather was awesome.
Looking forward to September and the Tuna Shootout.

Attachments

• IMG_4318.jpeg
    IMG_4318.jpeg
    602 KB · Views: 264
  • Resized_20220625_092544.jpg
    Resized_20220625_092544.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 256
I will be heading to Bamfield this weekend for some kayak fishing. Going to be making it out to the banks at least one day to look for some halibuts and probably trolling keeha to cape Beale and north side of Diana island for springs. Might bring the fly rod out as well for some black rockfish.
Kayak fishing out at the banks? That's wild! Hopefully you're packing a radar reflector and flares. Good luck!
PF

Yes it is tamer than that. Just wind chop. Usually 1-2’ wind waves. Sometimes 3’. Occasionally 4’. Today it’s calm.
Hint: When you get to 10 mile point, run up the east shoreline past all the cabins. It cuts off at least 2 miles of the bumpy stuff.
Is that for running back to port? So keep it east side between 10 mile and hocking point? Looking for all the tips I can get. New to the area (and pretty new to boating) and coming from French Creek (the salmon fishing bunny hill!).

Is that for running back to port? So keep it east side between 10 mile and hocking point? Looking for all the tips I can get. New to the area (and pretty new to boating) and coming from French Creek (the salmon fishing bunny hill!).
No. Those directions are for running south toward the Sound. When running back in, after passing Pocahontas Point, aim for the “ blue roof” that you will see in the distance on the east side. Run down that east side in partially sheltered water. When you get down to 10 mile point you will have no choice but to cross the wind exposed water but it’s not bad as you will be running with the waves. Just trim down a bit and don’t try to set any speed records. Since you are new to boating, I’ll remind you to make sure your engine is running well and have your safety equipment including VHF radio. Happy boating!

No. Those directions are for running south toward the Sound. When running back in, after passing Pocahontas Point, aim for the “ blue roof” that you will see in the distance on the east side. Run down that east side in partially sheltered water. When you get down to 10 mile point you will have no choice but to cross the wind exposed water but it’s not bad as you will be running with the waves. Just trim down a bit and don’t try to set any speed records. Since you are new to boating, I’ll remind you to make sure your engine is running well and have your safety equipment including VHF radio. Happy boating!
Thanks for the wisdom! See you out there.

Kayak fishing out at the banks? That's wild! Hopefully you're packing a radar reflector and flares. Good luck!
PF
I will be heading to Bamfield this weekend for some kayak fishing. Going to be making it out to the banks at least one day to look for some halibuts and probably trolling keeha to cape Beale and north side of Diana island for springs. Might bring the fly rod out as well for some black rockfish.
Are you pedalling, with a Hobbie mirage drive style yak? I’ve paddled the broken group and to hot springs cove with a traditional kayak.

We got a 50lber 4 miles out from Effingham on a pinnacle I was hoping to hit ling cod on.

Air horn is what I’d take. Let us know how you do an put a GoPro on!

Fished Pill Point this morning 830-1030. Lots of shakers but managed a nice coho on an anchovy at 70 feet. Tried for hali after but no luck. Moved to Meares for the 330 tide change but just more shakers and at Swale now with no action so far. Hopeful some fresh fish move into the sound for the rest of the weekend. Happy Canada Day

Had a good long weekend in the sound. Pretty much did a full circle of the Broken Group over the weekend. Friday had us at Sail Rock where the fishing was very active. Limit of springs in 3 hours -- nothing huge but all the fish between 6-12lbs. Jigged up some nice Ling as well. Saturday at Sail was quite busy but much slower so we tried it for a couple hours then headed over to the area just outside Austin. Picked up a couple low teen springs, and a big bucket mouth Ling for our troubles. Had to work harder, but eventually we had a good cooler full. Sunday was clean-up day so fished a few hours at Swale and picked up 3 springs again as the tide changed to a flood. Also had some decent activity with the prawn traps with 50-100 prawns per pull. Great fireworks show on Saturday night at the campground too. Those two days of summer we had last week were the BEST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back