Those Sooke fish don't end up in Oak bay.
Oak bay Springs are primarily Puget sound hatchery fish.
DNA head returns have verified this.
Thanks Scott and Good to know. I assumed this was the case but did not know for sure. So then the Puget Sound big ones are still to come. Lol

Oh nice! Thanks.
I was in front of Brotchie ledge on Friday afternoon and fish were jumping all over the place. I thought they were pinks so I had my downriggers at 30 feet. And I ended up catching a few small springs and a beautiful 5-7# Coho unclipped. I ended up going home with a 52cm spring. But the whole time my lines were coming off the clips and when I reeled in...nothing. Pin poppers? I was only down 30 feet in about 180 feet and I avoided the kelp so I'm thinking it must have been. Anyway, I thought my clips were wearing out. Cheers!

I was in front of Brotchie ledge on Friday afternoon and fish were jumping all over the place. I thought they were pinks so I had my downriggers at 30 feet. And I ended up catching a few small springs and a beautiful 5-7# Coho unclipped. I ended up going home with a 52cm spring. But the whole time my lines were coming off the clips and when I reeled in...nothing. Pin poppers? I was only down 30 feet in about 180 feet and I avoided the kelp so I'm thinking it must have been. Anyway, I thought my clips were wearing out. Cheers!
Beware of sunscreen, or anything greasy on your hands.
if it gets on the release clip pads, the line won't hold

Last edited:
What's a top shot? I use mono after the flasher but yeah I clip onto the braid. That must be it. So another bit of mono on the other side of the flasher?
You can do a bit of modification to Scotty clips to get them to bite braid if that’s they way you want to go also. I run both…..i think my 10.5 ft rod absorbs most of the energy of a fighting fish.
67706E16-781E-41C4-9AEB-8AF351F137AC.jpeg

Anyone tried Mill Bay area for fish??

Hi Gear' n' beer, I'd like to try both. What is that little black collar and where can I get it? Cheers!
It’s just a piece of plastic I machined. After some pretty unscientific testing of how much force is required to pull 30# mono out of clip and trying to replicate the same amount of force to pull braid I settled on .660 “ Width. I have heard on this forum of guys using fuel line, I’m sure air Line would also work…..or pretty much anything you have laying around the garage that’s round with a hole in the centre.

Hi Gear' n' beer, I'd like to try both. What is that little black collar and where can I get it? Cheers!

It’s just a piece of plastic I machined. After some pretty unscientific testing of how much force is required to pull 30# mono out of clip and trying to replicate the same amount of force to pull braid I settled on .660 “ Width. I have heard on this forum of guys using fuel line, I’m sure air Line would also work…..or pretty much anything you have laying around the garage that’s round with a hole in the centre.
Awesome. Thanks!

I was out from 8:30-12:15 from Breakwater to Macaulay , not much going on. Didn’t see anyone fighting big fish, seen a few pinks/coho being played but that was about it. Me…Nada not even a sniff. Using bait, from 30‘-92’

on a side note, I did see a boat caught 1 of the green crab floats in front, and then the float was seen shortly thereafter floating in front of the breakwater going east………

Like really, who puts a trap in prime fishing grounds…..(besides commercial) I’m sure he might not do that any more

I was out from 8:30-12:15 from Breakwater to Macaulay , not much going on. Didn’t see anyone fighting big fish, seen a few pinks/coho being played but that was about it. Me…Nada not even a sniff. Using bait, from 30‘-92’

on a side note, I did see a boat caught 1 of the green crab floats in front, and then the float was seen shortly thereafter floating in front of the breakwater going east………

Like really, who puts a trap in prime fishing grounds…..(besides commercial) I’m sure he might not do that any more

That crab string is in a terrible place. I have seen multiple boats with their gear hooked up on the green buoy.

Back