Decided to leave the boat in the yard tonight and take the canoe to Albert Head since it was glassy. As soon as I arrived at the end of Farhill road, a massive whale watching boat was parked right off the beach. A pod of Orcas had the seals cornered against the rock and beach. It was quite the show and as a result the fish weren't in the mood.
But the seals died? Please tell us the story

Decided to leave the boat in the yard tonight and take the canoe to Albert Head since it was glassy. As soon as I arrived at the end of Farhill road, a massive whale watching boat was parked right off the beach. A pod of Orcas had the seals cornered against the rock and beach. It was quite the show and as a result the fish weren't in the mood.

This same pod was also spotted at Saxe Point heading east last night. I got sealed at the breakwater on Monday, I hope those whales clean up.

Not sure how the flats are, tried border today mostly all overs and a few pinks
yup i got sealed big time. I rolled in the fog with no radar dodging tankers and whatever the hell was out there. I caught a 10lbs coho wild released it. Fished all day caught a real nice spring. This is over at ambleside vancouver and I played it tacked out. Raised the same side downrigger. Had the fish at the boat under the boat. People at ambleside were watching me as the sun was setting. Im holding the fish it goes under the boat stays there. Then all of a sudden it goes way over to the opposite downrigger wraps around. Snap. Well sealed.

I guess you have to reef on them. To a certain point I know one thing for certain ill be clipped a gaff hook to the side of my boat this season. May just pull a little harder and gaff the sob.

yup i got sealed big time. I rolled in the fog with no radar dodging tankers and whatever the hell was out there. I caught a 10lbs coho wild released it. Fished all day caught a real nice spring. This is over at ambleside vancouver and I played it tacked out. Raised the same side downrigger. Had the fish at the boat under the boat. People at ambleside were watching me as the sun was setting. Im holding the fish it goes under the boat stays there. Then all of a sudden it goes way over to the opposite downrigger wraps around. Snap. Well sealed.

I guess you have to reef on them. To a certain point I know one thing for certain ill be clipped a gaff hook to the side of my boat this season. May just pull a little harder and gaff the sob.
Has nothing to do with reefing on them lol pull your gear out of the water lol

Has nothing to do with reefing on them lol pull your gear out of the water lol
I operate like a caveman with manual riggers. You should see the chaos that ensues in my boat when I fish solo dealing with all that. Fight fish with one arm, crank riggers with the other. It’s all part of the adrenaline fun, though. Hahaha

I operate like a caveman with manual riggers. You should see the chaos that ensues in my boat when I fish solo dealing with all that. Fight fish with one arm, crank riggers with the other. It’s all part of the adrenaline fun, though. Hahaha
Lol that’d be fun to watch unfold seems like a lot of work hahaha

I said to hell with it and ducked out of work today.

Launched around 6:30, I started just outside of Esquilmalt harbor, I made my way over to the breakwater.

I saw a couple bait balls, and a couple fish right around them, and the rod goes off. Giddy up. Great fighting fish, no one else around, so I didn’t have to worry about other boats (fishing solo). The way that it was fighting I thought it was going to be an over for sure, brought it in the boat and 79 cm. Got myself a keeper, and it was only 7:25 am. I trolled around some more, looking for coho or pink, or another spring to play. About 45 minuets later the road goes off again. Nice size fish, unfortunately it was short lived. Long line release. I stuck around until about 10:30, where I headed out to my halibut hole. It was a great day out there, and even though I was early for the tide change, my perseverance paid off, 3.5 hours & 88 cm later, I’m done for the day.

Fish caught, green chrome teaser, anchovy 78’
fish lost, herring aid teaser, anchovy, 45’
both in front of the breakwater, about 200 yards out

halibut, pink salmon head

Attachments

• E03C9544-8285-43CA-925A-4C5C37B7F4ED.jpeg
    E03C9544-8285-43CA-925A-4C5C37B7F4ED.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 134
Wow has the flats been incredible this year. Best fishing in this area in many many years. I'd say at least 15 years. I have been on holidays all week and the fishing was crazy of OB. Nothing big, but had a couple pin poppers and lost a couple over 15lbs. A couple days I had 16 springs and 14 springs on a couple outings. I assume the big ones are still coming as they are out in Sooke. Super glad to see this area come back to life.

Wow has the flats been incredible this year. Best fishing in this area in many many years. I'd say at least 15 years. I have been on holidays all week and the fishing was crazy of OB. Nothing big, but had a couple pin poppers and lost a couple over 15lbs. A couple days I had 16 springs and 14 springs on a couple outings. I assume the big ones are still coming as they are out in Sooke. Super glad to see this area come back to life.
Hey cby, what's a pin popper?

Fished Gonzales Sunday from 11:00am till about 3:00pm. No strikes as the current was running quite
fast and very difficult to fish in close and out of the current.
As I arrived I noticed that the birds were working from Oak Bay Marina and all along the shoreline passed
Gonzales point. They were picking the surface and catching the small crustations on the top. Lots of small
3-4" bait below them. No diving birds to push it up though.
I'll try again in a couple of day and see if it's a bit better from shore

True, but. In this case it did not stick .
A Pin Popper for me is huge as I bury my line the clips. They are extremely hard to get out. Usually needs to be over 18lbs to pin pop it. But yes in this case did not stick and to Stizzla's point yes pin poppers can stay on lol. Those are the best and in my experience over 20lbs for sure. But more often is just a grab and go and good bye.

Back