Out with a friend today on the flats trolling.Quite a few small springs and 1 about 7 Lbs.Bonk.No pinks where we were,got pretty rough as we left at about 11:00.I was just glad to get a taste of salmon,it's been too long!

Out with a friend today on the flats trolling.Quite a few small springs and 1 about 7 Lbs.Bonk.No pinks where we were,got pretty rough as we left at about 11:00.I was just glad to get a taste of salmon,it's been too long!
Lots of boats out Saturday am got a 17 lb spring at 930 and went home. Hope everyone got at least one

I spent way too long out there today. Released a couple of tiddlers and had one good one on, or just an ok one foul hooked. Never saw it. Seem to be quite a few nets out.

Hi Everyone,

Just to keep you all up to date. NRB has provided the projected dates when the Barge will be occupying the entire JBAA ramp.

Aug 1, 6, 10, 12

This means that on those days there will be no access to the JBAA Ramp.

Thank you to all the boaters that support us.

James Bay Anglers

Casting For The Future!!

Follow us on Facebook: James Bay Anglers
Become a Follower on Instagram at jamesbayanglers2021

Thanks for the update. I was a James Bay Anglers member in my smaller boat days, but even then the lack of a finger float mad it impossible to solo launch. With a 23' I never use the ramp - my crew can't manage the boat while I park.

Not expecting a second Esquimalt Anglers, but wondering if there's any prospect of adding a finger float? Oak Bay ramp #2 would be a good candidate for the same treatment [#1 is too exposed for the float to survive].

Four hours with nothing but kelp. Ten Mile, the gap, and the flats with nothing to show. Guys catching here and there around us, and saw a few on the dock but we could not get a look no matter what. Maybe not fishing deep enough? Or fast enough? Or slow enough? (Green Betsy flashers to herring aid spoons, btw.) Also the counter on one of our Depth Power downriggers is buggered -- it doesn't count back when bringing up, and seems sticky, if that's the right word for it. Easy fix, does anyone know?
I've had two similar issues with Scotty counters - one was solved by lubrication, and the other by moving the little impeller [that drives the counter] away from the body of the counter ['out' on its shaft].

As said by others, Scotty does repairs for free, or parts cost, often waived for small things like counters. Amazing service. Sometimes they need a few days, so call first.

Last edited:
Not expecting a second Esquimalt Anglers, but wondering if there's any prospect of adding a finger float? Oak Bay ramp #2 would be a good candidate for the same treatment [#1 is too exposed for the float to survive].
I've seen some pretty big logs washed up in the #2 ramp during the winter. It gets pounded pretty hard at times as well. A seasonal wharf would be kind of cool if they could tow it away to some protected water during the off season. All costs money and work though.

I've seen some pretty big logs washed up in the #2 ramp during the winter. It gets pounded pretty hard at times as well. A seasonal wharf would be kind of cool if they could tow it away to some protected water during the off season. All costs money and work though.
Totally agree. A reasonable launch fee could offset some of the cost, but maybe not the initial capital.

Thanks for the update. I was a James Bay Anglers member in my smaller boat days, but even then the lack of a finger float mad it impossible to solo launch. With a 23' I never use the ramp - my crew can't manage the boat while I park.

Hi Eden Island,

Having a finger float, dock, or anything that is useful for us boaters would be so ideal. The problem is liability insurance. Even if we had "use at own risk" signs wouldn't be enough.

The JBAA Ramp is run by volunteers only. We pay a lease and insurance for this site. Your ideas are very appreciated.

Finally got me a spring at Gonzales Point. 12lb hatchery 28" - 71cm.... Nice fight and a few long run's
Had to pull it in over the kelp. Lure was a black and white 3" zinger with purple glitter on the sides.
A neighbour of mine dropped down to see how things were going and he netted it for me.

Nice to feel a fish again after almost 3 years :D

Finally got me a spring at Gonzales Point. 12lb hatchery 28" - 71cm.... Nice fight and a few long run's
Had to pull it in over the kelp. Lure was a black and white 3" zinger with purple glitter on the sides.
A neighbour of mine dropped down to see how things were going and he netted it for me.

Nice to feel a fish again after almost 3 years :D
Well done always fun to get a nice 1 from shore.

Took a run to sooke today water was great ,fishing was amazing must have hooked at least 30 fish most of the springs were overs, with a mix of pinks coho and even a couple of sockeye all released for another day. Heading back tommorow. Leave your bait at home and bring out your favorite spoons

Hi all,

I really want to get my 3 y/o son to catch his first fish. it doesnt look like there is any pink salmon on the water front or oak bay...is that correct? Was hoping to avoid having to run all the way to sooke if i can.

there are pinks off the waterfroHi all,

I really want to get my 3 y/o son to catch his first fish. it doesnt look like there is any pink salmon on the water front or oak bay...is that correct? Was hoping to avoid having to run all the way to sooke if i can.

Hi all,

There are pinks off the waterfront and out off the flats. you just have to find them. there are not the numbers that are in sooke but wait a week or two and they should be plentiful. try due south of trial island. A girl I work with got 4 big pinks trolling along the breakwater last saturday morning.

Hi all,

There were pinks yesterday around the outside of brotchie ledge in 190 feet of water. Hooked lots, couldn’t get them to the boat. Soft mouthes, play them gingerly.

Red hotspot flasher with 30 inch leader and a small pink hootchie. Had the gear down at 35 and 45 on the rigger. When you find a school, you’ll get a few hits in quick succession. It was flooding hard, I had a bit of a time staying on top of the school.

I hope your boy catches some. :)

Pinks near Clover Point too. We hooked 5 or 6 last Monday fishing 45 to 55 feet down. They lived another day, unlike the couple of springs we kept. I was biking by CP on Saturday and chatted with someone getting off the water with 3 pinks and a spring. Suggest, as above, use lures. If using anchovies, move to single hooks as trebles are brutal on the smaller fish.

We went straight out from McCauley point and saw fish jumping about a kilometre out. Saw a slight ripple in the water and fished that for a few hours. Wound up with 7 pinks. Lost two and returned a few small pinks and one wild coho. Managed to get 7 Dungeness too. Saw lots of jumpers and many nets out. I'd say the waterfront has pinks now.

Any reports from Constance Bank? Was thinking of hitting the SW corner with my son on Friday. If its bumpy I would head to Pedder area. Really want him to catch a fish on his first run this year!!

Decided to leave the boat in the yard tonight and take the canoe to Albert Head since it was glassy. As soon as I arrived at the end of Farhill road, a massive whale watching boat was parked right off the beach. A pod of Orcas had the seals cornered against the rock and beach. It was quite the show and as a result the fish weren't in the mood.

Back