So just curious and obviously if you don't want to say, don't -- but are you fishing right at the bottom for springs, or can you catch them in any depth?
I am definitely no expert. I see a couple of boats out on the flats regularly that seem to have a fish on every pass, and like others, I'd sure like to be a seagull hovering over their deck. But I'm happy to share what is working for myself.

On the flats, sandlance country, bounce bottom and up 10 ft. A few weeks ago I was out further and the bait and fish were well off the bottom according to the sounder, 150' of water I was getting fish at 80-100' ft. I trusted my sounder. Yesterday I was fishing off reefs, rocky bottom in 90-100 ft. Trolling herring at 75' worked as did working the bottom third with a jig.

As for sport salmon fishing. I'm all for helping and seeing others catching fish. Sports fishing isn't hurting stocks.

Last edited:
First trip of the year at Gonzales Point (golf course) on the 1st. Lots of Kelp on the point. No heavy winter storms
to thin it out. Managed to clear a small track through it and fished until 6pm. Some bait but not to thick.
Fished again today and there was a bit more bait. Had a nice fish on at 5pm but the current was running quite hard and the fish
ran out into the current and around the point. It was mostly played out but would not return to the clear spot in the kelp.
Just went to the bottom and dogged. I waited for about 10 min's but it eventually spit the hook. Nice to at least feel one
hit and run after a couple of years with no fish. Was using a 3" white and blue zinger.

Nice day on the water, released to 6lbers. Saw people playing fish not many nets.the guy on the Malibu seemed to have a good fish on everytime I passed them, saw them release quite a few good ones

Four hours with nothing but kelp. Ten Mile, the gap, and the flats with nothing to show. Guys catching here and there around us, and saw a few on the dock but we could not get a look no matter what. Maybe not fishing deep enough? Or fast enough? Or slow enough? (Green Betsy flashers to herring aid spoons, btw.) Also the counter on one of our Depth Power downriggers is buggered -- it doesn't count back when bringing up, and seems sticky, if that's the right word for it. Easy fix, does anyone know?
Take to scotty in sidney. Believe they are sealed. free if u are original owner

Take to scotty in sidney. Believe they are sealed. free if u are original owner
Common problem on the Scotty's. I previously had the same issue and Scotty fixed mine and gave me a spare for no charge. If you aren't close to Sidney, might be easier just to call them and they will probably just send you one or some tackle stores may stock them.

Hey tinboatrob, I want to head out to the yellow can this Saturday. Is there a certain tide that works best or should I just go out as early as possible?
generally a flood tide will push the pinks through. looks like low tide around 9:30am, then long all day flood. I like the mornings just because we have a 14ft lund and in the later part of the day the Westerlies pick up. My son is and engineer on the pilot boat and we wait until he tells us they are seeing jumpers out there. He says they have not seen much yet. There have been pinks caught south of Trial island over the last 2 weeks. so there are some out there. We find mid August to be the prime time in past years.

generally a flood tide will push the pinks through. looks like low tide around 9:30am, then long all day flood. I like the mornings just because we have a 14ft lund and in the later part of the day the Westerlies pick up. My son is and engineer on the pilot boat and we wait until he tells us they are seeing jumpers out there. He says they have not seen much yet. There have been pinks caught south of Trial island over the last 2 weeks. so there are some out there. We find mid August to be the prime time in past years.
Excellent! Once again thanks for the very good information. I love that your son is a scout for pinks! What's a pilot boat?

Managed almost two hours on the flats in the late afternoon today before the soup got way too chunky for any fun. Nothing to show for our efforts except a small ling who was returned to grow into a keeper for later in the fall. Saw three other boats out but no fish taken.

Managed almost two hours on the flats in the late afternoon today before the soup got way too chunky for any fun. Nothing to show for our efforts except a small ling who was returned to grow into a keeper for later in the fall. Saw three other boats out but no fish taken.
Don't feel bad, it was spotty yesterday.
there were a few fish in the morning but no specific bite.
one here, one there.

one here, one there.
I was on the waterfront from 6 - 11 am. Not a single bite. Saw a few people hook up around me but my new expensive and flashy gear was of no interest to any salmon.. one of those days you wonder if your boat is giving off a bad electrical signal or something!? ...just posting for all the other fishermen/women that keep reading of all the salmon being caught but still go home empty handed... you’re not the only one

Last edited:
I was on the waterfront from 6 - 11 am. Not a single bite. Saw a few people hook up around me but my new expensive and flashy gear was of no interest to any salmon.. one of those days you wonder if your boat is giving off a bad electrical signal or something!? ...just posting for all the other fishermen/women that keep reading of all the salmon being caught but still go home empty handed... you’re not the only one
Thanks -- we are so far not doing well at all, and it helps to hear that others are not just slaying it day in and day out. Our best luck came the week before chinook opened, of course! :p

one here, one there.
Honestly, with the way the wind and waves came up we were just really happy to get back in without incident. You could feel the cold air arrive and then five minutes later bam the wind hit.

Back