Thanks guys! Thought that might be the case. I’ve got a few traps soaking so we’ll check them, revisit then do the run to race and around!
Let us know how it goes. I’m up doing the family thing /camping in CR watching people fish the rivers with mild amusement.
Back by Sunday and will head out when winds permit

Thanks guys! Thought that might be the case. I’ve got a few traps soaking so we’ll check them, revisit then do the run to race and around!
That’s probably the best plan. There are hordes of pinks from Beechy and west. Awesome fun for kids there

I wonder with these all day floods coming, maybe that will wash them into the Vic waterfront zone.

That’s probably the best plan. There are hordes of pinks from Beechy and west. Awesome fun for kids there

I wonder with these all day floods coming, maybe that will wash them into the Vic waterfront zone.
Just wanted to report catching one coho on OB flats, Saturday am. let two springs go, both a decent size. Fellow in boston whaler was doing well out and had at least 4 fish hooked while we shared the flats.

Heading out of OB Marina tomorrow for opening day on chinooks. Any last minute tips? We're planning to hit 10-mile point. See you all on the water!

Four hours with nothing but kelp. Ten Mile, the gap, and the flats with nothing to show. Guys catching here and there around us, and saw a few on the dock but we could not get a look no matter what. Maybe not fishing deep enough? Or fast enough? Or slow enough? (Green Betsy flashers to herring aid spoons, btw.) Also the counter on one of our Depth Power downriggers is buggered -- it doesn't count back when bringing up, and seems sticky, if that's the right word for it. Easy fix, does anyone know?

Pounded the flats, or should I say they pounded me. Released 3 springs holding out for something bigger. Plus two unclipped coho, ~4 pounds. a few small lings and a flounder. All on a herring aide. Did see some nice fish taken. Zero crabs, which was kind of weird.

Saturday July 31 4 for 4 C&R, biggest 17lbs. Sunday Aug 1 Best opening day in 4 years 9 for 12, 2 double headers, biggest 17, most were 8-12 lbs, Today Aug 2 1 for 6, lost 3 really nice fish over 15 lbs. 2 were poppers. All on Wee g and Skinny g.
14 for 22 on the weekend all springs. Nice to see OB coming back the last few years.

Took the oldest out for a couple hours yesterday afternoon and while I lost my one solid hit. He landed the biggest pink yet, 15lbs on the button and just under 80.

Now smirk and chuckle to yourself.
Went out with friends today for halibut west Constance.Sideways chop all day (6-11:30) and picked up a nice halibut.At the dock the boat owner swings the fish out to my waiting wheelbarrow,it falls off the meat hook and lands perfectly between the dock and boat,disappearing instantly.I figure that's it,seal or otter will have a great meal.But his dad and friend don't give up as easily and go find a pike pole after I've left for home.I get a call later that fish weighed 54 1/2 Lbs,,they found it and harpooned it in 10 Ft. of water and pulled it up.I missed out on the fillets,but have a story for future fish tales.
A story of stupidity transformed into one of dedication, perseverance and the twice caught halibut.

Slept in today. On the water around 11. Trolled a bit on the flats but the wind picked up and it got a little sporty. Found some calmer waters closer in and trolled a small whole herring (choked herring) without a flasher. Worked like a hot dam. with 6 pieces of bait landed two springs, lost one, a small ling and a rockfish. Kept one about 8lbs. Then jigged a bit and got a beauty of about 12lbs. Nice to see some of the "old spots" in Oak Bay producing.IMG_20210802_192619.jpg

Last edited:
Slept in today. On the water around 11. Trolled a bit on the flats but the wind picked up and it got a little sporty. Found some calmer waters closer in and trolled a small whole herring (choked herring) without a flasher. Worked like a hot dam. with 6 pieces of bait landed two springs, lost one, a small ling and a rockfish. Kept one about 8lbs. Then jigged a bit and got a beauty of about 12lbs. Nice to see some of the "old spots" in Oak Bay producing.View attachment 68857
So just curious and obviously if you don't want to say, don't -- but are you fishing right at the bottom for springs, or can you catch them in any depth?

Back