2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

K

Huge pod heading there in the morning.

DFO checked us twice and said one boat had 4 springs.
Checked me a second time also. That DFO pair wouldn’t know a Chinook from a Pink.

Then the base of my seat breaks - too many lockdown ice creams I guess?

Then my wife texts me to say if the fishing is so slow why don’t I come home earlier and mow the lawn. FM!

Gonna pack up before I loose some cannonballs.

We had to grind it out. I got 4 trips in last week and in total we kept 8 springs. Lost a few as well. 3 days no real bite turned on. One day the wave came and we hooked 6. So hopefully we see a few more. I believe we seen the tail end of an average red Chinook as we were shut all Aug. Now the whites should peak this week or so. Remember whites don't stick around bling at mouth they come in waves. There are what on any given year returning to Harrison and Vedder? 50000-100000 tops. Correct me if I am wrong.
Fish from low slack into the flood and u will have your best shot. The whales haven't helped fishing either. Good luck and grind away. We got our fish by putting in the time and making sure our gear was always working. Even without many bites it is still awesome to be out there. So good luck go get them!

Got this from another website: "During the Panel call today the run size of Fraser River Pink salmon was increased to 6,500,000 with an Area 20 peak timing of August 19. The US is planning commercial fisheries to harvest the small increase in US TAC that remains at this updated run size. At the Panel meeting today US Pink fisheries were planned in 4b, 5, 6c and 6, 7, 7A with non-retention in place for Sockeye. For details on US fisheries planned for Panel Area waters refer to the Pacific Salmon Commission Regulatory Announcement from today’s Panel meeting.. In Canada, Pink salmon First Nations FSC fisheries are being considered, and consideration is also being given to how to manage limited sockeye retention opportunities (associated with the small amount of Summer run TAC) particularly in areas where Summer run stocks are available to harvest. An Area B Fraser Pink Assessment fishery is also planned to start Sunday, September 12 in Area 29 with up to 2 vessels fishing with observers and Sockeye non-retention in place. The Pink run size will continue to be assessed and will be re-evaluated during upcoming Panel meetings."

Does this mean there will be seiners off the mouth on Sunday?

Got this from another website: "During the Panel call today the run size of Fraser River Pink salmon was increased to 6,500,000 with an Area 20 peak timing of August 19. The US is planning commercial fisheries to harvest the small increase in US TAC that remains at this updated run size. At the Panel meeting today US Pink fisheries were planned in 4b, 5, 6c and 6, 7, 7A with non-retention in place for Sockeye. For details on US fisheries planned for Panel Area waters refer to the Pacific Salmon Commission Regulatory Announcement from today’s Panel meeting.. In Canada, Pink salmon First Nations FSC fisheries are being considered, and consideration is also being given to how to manage limited sockeye retention opportunities (associated with the small amount of Summer run TAC) particularly in areas where Summer run stocks are available to harvest. An Area B Fraser Pink Assessment fishery is also planned to start Sunday, September 12 in Area 29 with up to 2 vessels fishing with observers and Sockeye non-retention in place. The Pink run size will continue to be assessed and will be re-evaluated during upcoming Panel meetings."

Does this mean there will be seiners off the mouth on Sunday?
Imagine if we had a Federal Fisheries Minister who supported fish traps? Then everybody could be open! As long as we have Liberal Fisheries Minister Bernadette Jordan who has failed to take immediate action to transition from non-selective gillnet fisheries; we're just continuing down the path of loss of opportunity and destruction of the stocks of concern!

Hope you are wrong. Have spent so much on gears this year and only caught one Chinook. Very depressing. Kinda given up then I see occasional reports of fish being caught then my hope flickers a little. I see that the last pacific angler’s fishing report is predicting the chinooks should show up toward the end of the month. Sure hope they are right. Lastly, the three times that I have been out I saw hundreds of boats but no report of chinooks being caught. Are we chasing something that simply isn’t there or have they gone up the river already? I think it is a combination of both. Less fish this year and they have mostly gone up river prior to September 1st. Thank you DFO. More reason to vote come September 20th.
Imagine if those Sport Fish Advisory Board mark selected Fisheries had been approved for the Vancouver area by Liberal Fisheries Minister Bernadette Jordan? We could have been fishing in April, May and June when abundant healthy chinook stocks were in our waters? Or if the proposal that was put forward for an August 15th opening that Jason Tonelli talked about was put in place.

You have a choice when you go to vote in this election on September 20th. We had 25 MPS who supported Mark Selective Fisheries in a letter to Minister Jordan earlier this year and none of them were Liberal MP's!

Imagine if those Sport Fish Advisory Board mark selected Fisheries had been approved for the Vancouver area by Liberal Fisheries Minister Bernadette Jordan? We could have been fishing in April, May and June when abundant healthy chinook stocks were in our waters? Or if the proposal that was put forward for an August 15th opening that Jason Tonelli talked about was put in place.

You have a choice when you go to vote in this election on September 20th. We had 25 MPS who supported Mark Selective Fisheries in a letter to Minister Jordan earlier this year and none of them were Liberal MP's!
Damn straight. We missed the chance to get rid of then Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson, who first delay the opening til September 1st two years ago. Remember how we all bitched about it after the last election? Well here is the chance to do some about it.
As for fishing report, my buddy was out this afternoon at the NA and got skunked again. I will give it a try tomorrow afternoon and report back.

Fished NA QA IONA yesterday, pinks on the surface in schools every so often , most Seals were chowing down on fish everywhere with gulls beside them picking flesh. Fished 7- 3, picked out 6 decent pinks, released a few wild coho, 1 sockeye, lost 2 spring, boxed 3 Springs 13- 21 lb. Glow white Hootchies, Chovies, a few spoons. 40 to 100 feet with 70 our magic number, over all depths 150 to 500 Absolute mirror flat water all day.

Last edited:
Back