2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Man this has been a grind... 5 hours today,1 till 6, fish on at 5, 17 # white, 80' in 110 of water near SH, whole herring.
Solo effort, hope nobody took a video of my netting skills.....:rolleyes:
Sandheads-Sept-9-2021.jpg
[/url]

Well around 11 am today I had no intentions of going out fishing(who am I kidding)... then I just happened to check The marine forecast and it looked like a flat calm day. So I said to the wife and kids let's go out on the boat!

After a little wiring fix and loading the boat up with gear, kids and wife it was around 1:30 pm departure and we were probably dropping the lines an hour after that.

We were trolling whole herring and we were picking up mostly shakers. No real hits today. Didn't even see anyone else pull any chinook. It must have been nearly 7 pm when I was trolling back towards the light house to finish the day when I noticed my driver side rod bouncing. I hopped up and popped the clip just to have the fish wake up and go on a screaming run. Got him close to the boat and he decided to dive under. I still had one line down and the kicker running so I ran around the front and some how spared a break off. After a few back and forths he came close enough for me to give the wife the go ahead. A fat 10 pound chinook hit the deck. That was at 72 feet to clip and 100 fow.

So we messed around a little more for a few more shakers and one more good hit right before we left but didn't even hold on long enough for me to get the rod.

Felt fortunate to get something. My buddy was out and also landed only one and 18 pound Red on a herring.

Attachments

• received_612654236401112.jpeg
    received_612654236401112.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 276
  • received_1383681502047893.jpeg
    received_1383681502047893.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 289
  • received_980285192764535.jpeg
    received_980285192764535.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 285
  • received_1022424638516281.jpeg
    received_1022424638516281.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 278
Well around 11 am today I had no intentions of going out fishing(who am I kidding)... then I just happened to check The marine forecast and it looked like a flat calm day. So I said to the wife and kids let's go out on the boat!

After a little wiring fix and loading the boat up with gear, kids and wife it was around 1:30 pm departure and we were probably dropping the lines an hour after that.

We were trolling whole herring and we were picking up mostly shakers. No real hits today. Didn't even see anyone else pull any chinook. It must have been nearly 7 pm when I was trolling back towards the light house to finish the day when I noticed my driver side rod bouncing. I hopped up and popped the clip just to have the fish wake up and go on a screaming run. Got him close to the boat and he decided to dive under. I still had one line down and the kicker running so I ran around the front and some how spared a break off. After a few back and forths he came close enough for me to give the wife the go ahead. A fat 10 pound chinook hit the deck. That was at 72 feet to clip and 100 fow.

So we messed around a little more for a few more shakers and one more good hit right before we left but didn't even hold on long enough for me to get the rod.

Felt fortunate to get something. My buddy was out and also landed only one and 18 pound Red on a herring.
Haha awesome shots man. Can't wait until mine can surf the roof.

Was planning on fishing NA today. Guess not now with those orcas around. Maybe I’ll try west van shoreline. Heard of a few nooks landed there yesterday.

Went out yesterday at 2pm last minute decision to SH …at 2:30 rewarded with a 16lbs white … first keeper Chinook in 4 outings
55 on the rigger in 250 feet in the flow
Had one more good take after first long run was gone same setup with chovy
Ran a naked large herring on the the other rod same depth never got touched in 3.5 hours
All the smalls keep you working out there they sure are a bit of a pain and like mentioned above they sure put a dent in the anchovy cooler

Attachments

• AD7C8F19-8B7D-45C2-B035-51FEDC3B2A83.jpeg
    AD7C8F19-8B7D-45C2-B035-51FEDC3B2A83.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 55
I keep waiting for the fish to show up.... but it seems like they haven't been at NA or SA in any decent numbers since Sept1. Are the runs late this year or is this likely a bust year for chinooks?

Very likely a bust year or at least that’s what the Albion test numbers are indicating.
Hope you are wrong. Have spent so much on gears this year and only caught one Chinook. Very depressing. Kinda given up then I see occasional reports of fish being caught then my hope flickers a little. I see that the last pacific angler’s fishing report is predicting the chinooks should show up toward the end of the month. Sure hope they are right. Lastly, the three times that I have been out I saw hundreds of boats but no report of chinooks being caught. Are we chasing something that simply isn’t there or have they gone up the river already? I think it is a combination of both. Less fish this year and they have mostly gone up river prior to September 1st. Thank you DFO. More reason to vote come September 20th.

Hope you are wrong. Have spent so much on gears this year and only caught one Chinook. Very depressing. Kinda given up then I see occasional reports of fish being caught then my hope flickers a little. I see that the last pacific angler’s fishing report is predicting the chinooks should show up toward the end of the month. Sure hope they are right. Lastly, the three times that I have been out I saw hundreds of boats but no report of chinooks being caught. Are we chasing something that simply isn’t there or have they gone up the river already? I think it is a combination of both. Less fish this year and they have mostly gone up river prior to September 1st. Thank you DFO. More reason to vote come September 20th.
I hope I’m wrong too but you’re kind of leaning towards the same thing. :D
So far, most folks are experiencing a poor run so let’s hope that we get a push of fresh fish in the next couple of weeks. End of September is when things start to wind down on the Fraser side and the Cap circus starts. Can’t wait for that!!

Back