2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Well boys game is on! Wicked weekend, a little out of the Vancouver area but hey just across the straight. Active pass and somewhat nearby surrounding secret ling holes 3 springs 5 lings for the crew and a few hogs in the mix. (The spring is 80cm exactly that’s my story and I’m sticking to it)
2 orca shows and a pod of transients took down a seal… never seen that there and I’ve been going since I was in diapers.
The scenery was pretty good too as you can see… sorry didn’t get her holding the spring, you gotta deal with my ugly mug. My kid got his first spring too (finally) a manageable 7lb-er.
Shout out to Chasin Dreams for the tips over the years… I’ve got the spring fishing dialled right in now big thanks to him.
All on herring, no flasher, east entrance of Active pass, scraping bottom on the 70-80’ deep shelf, near the lighthouse on Mayne

Attachments

• 588EB1DA-DA12-4C9C-8EB6-9D11BEFB9B6C.png
    588EB1DA-DA12-4C9C-8EB6-9D11BEFB9B6C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 560
  • C0673DD9-F451-451B-ACF6-6B57A47BD35E.jpeg
    C0673DD9-F451-451B-ACF6-6B57A47BD35E.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 536
  • A6B53BD5-FCC1-4E3B-9F71-2DF024AA3AAE.jpeg
    A6B53BD5-FCC1-4E3B-9F71-2DF024AA3AAE.jpeg
    648.5 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
Well boys game is on! Wicked weekend, a little out of the Vancouver area but hey just across the straight. Active pass and somewhat nearby surrounding secret ling holes 3 springs 5 lings for the crew and a few hogs in the mix. (The spring is 80cm exactly that’s my story and I’m sticking to it)
2 orca shows and a pod of transients took down a seal… never seen that there and I’ve been going since I was in diapers.
The scenery was pretty good too as you can see… sorry didn’t get her holding the spring, you gotta deal with my ugly mug. My kid got his first spring too (finally) a manageable 7lb-er.
Shout out to Chasin Dreams for the tips over the years… I’ve got the spring fishing dialled right in now big thanks to him.
All on herring, no flasher, east entrance of Active pass, scraping bottom on the 70-80’ deep shelf, near the lighthouse on Mayne
A simple mathematical calculation was performed on your photo. Using digital callipers. By knowing the average width of a man’s skull
and Dividing it into the length taken off the fish
It has been determined that your fish is 87.6 cm in length.
DFO would like to know your whereabouts ?
Also how much $$$ for the blonde ??

A simple mathematical calculation was performed on your photo. Using digital callipers. By knowing the average width of a man’s skull
and Dividing it into the length taken off the fish
It has been determined that your fish is 87.6 cm in length.
DFO would like to know your whereabouts ?
Also how much $$$ for the blonde ??
Well they have to find me and FYI my cranium is MASSIVE so that should dial your math right back down to 79.9cm
As for the girl… how much $$? Sheesh, they all cost way too much $$ in the long run. My last one of 17yrs cost me half everything…. (). But hey, life goes on, and now that means the scenery on my boat can have a lot more variety these days. Plus I’m free as a friggin bird

Man, as usual, I'm finding the regs confusing AF...am I reading this correctly that 29-3, 4 and 5 are closed for 'nook retention? Cheers!

Fished west of Cowan and just east of the house wrapped in white, from 9 till 2 today. Most productive depths were 60 to 80 feet. Boxed 8 pinks and lost at least that many. Thanks to cinco sirenas who posted the other day about the hummpy killer combo from Canadian tire. Picked one up, shortened the line, crimped the hooks and it was on fire today. Second best was a white hoochie. Anchovies did nothing. Coho seen jumping and we caught and released a knuckle buster wild chinook that was in the 20’s. 89A61982-AA38-4C66-86CD-831DC288D804.jpeg

So are we allowed to fish pinks at bell bouy and North arm or is thst all closed?
Fished North Arm Sunday PM. Got into a few pinks and pulled in some nice chinook (10-15 lbs). Pink squirt for the pinks. 2 white hoochies until I lost them and them a sneaky peet for the chinooks. Shame I had to release them....ugh. Fun night though. 66 feet for the chinook and 47 for the pinks... Went out this morning...mostlt got smaller chinooks at 58 ft but at least some action for the boy.....pink squirt and the sneaky peete both pretty equal. About 1 hour after low tide.....Took home 1 pink both days. Only boat out there except for a beauty Kingfisher on Sunday......

Fished North Arm Sunday PM. Got into a few pinks and pulled in some nice chinook (10-15 lbs). Pink squirt for the pinks. 2 white hoochies until I lost them and them a sneaky peet for the chinooks. Shame I had to release them....ugh. Fun night though. 66 feet for the chinook and 47 for the pinks... Went out this morning...mostlt got smaller chinooks at 58 ft but at least some action for the boy.....pink squirt and the sneaky peete both pretty equal. About 1 hour after low tide.....Took home 1 pink both days. Only boat out there except for a beauty Kingfisher on Sunday......
nice to hear pinks r showing already showing off the fraser already

Hi. I was wondering if there are pinks going up to the Indian arm to the Indian river now? Does anyone fish out that way? Maybe around cates park? Or are they right by the mouth of the Indian river

Last edited:
Hi. I was wondering if there are pinks going up to the Indian arm to the Indian river now? Does anyone fish out that way? Maybe around cates park? Or are they right by the mouth of the Indian river
We were camping at Granite Falls last weekend. I tried fishing and looking for them around Wigwam near the mouth of the Indian River. Sounder went dead on me so I couldn't look through water column. No sign of them on the surface; I trolled pink hoochie around various depths with no love. Maybe too soon? Bumped into another fisherman at boat launch who says they don't really run up there anymore like in previous years?

We were camping at Granite Falls last weekend. I tried fishing and looking for them around Wigwam near the mouth of the Indian River. Sounder went dead on me so I couldn't look through water column. No sign of them on the surface; I trolled pink hoochie around various depths with no love. Maybe too soon? Bumped into another fisherman at boat launch who says they don't really run up there anymore like in previous years?
I have seen them jumping at mouth of the river in recent years, so they do run up still. I even saw schools of them swim right under the boat. I have even caught one. Maybe their numbers are down from the past, that could be what he meant.

During dry spells, look for large schools of Pinks on the southern banks of Burrard Inlet from Second Narrows around the refineries all the way to Barnet Marine Park. They will hang out in 10-50 feet of water, very close to shore - they tend to hang out in the various little coves until a heavy rain, then they will all make a blast up the river on an incoming high tide to try to beat the 100 seals that form a wall across the river (it's a gong show when they all make a run for it).

Ok boys report first then I’ll give me little mini-rant. Fished the West Van shoreline (70-130 depth pink apt to near Atkinson) I know it’s a bit early but it’s also so damn close lol. Got a hatch coho 9am at 65 on a chovy and my bloody favourite lemon lime flasher damn I love that thing. 2/5 on pinks marking them everywhere, never really ran into heavy action but grinded it out and got some meat. Tried 15-50 on the riggers, all hits at 25-30 on rigger. Typical pink gear, I even taped one up with white electrical tape to try and mimic that can tire special (how sad is that) Overall successful day I’d say. The lucky “losing” ticket did its magic again lol inside joke

So the rant: at Vanier pulling the boat out, DFO survey guy asks me what I got etc. Told him. He asked what I used, I said chovy for the coho. He asks: Targeting springs? I say: No, because it’s non-retention!
Then he goes on to tell me “isn’t it fine to keep springs? some other guy told me that” Are u f-in kidding me. Sure he’s only a survey guy, but he has a DFO logo on his name tag and he doesn’t know the reg’s? I mean, that’s absurd. Come on now, ridiculous reg’s aside, get your sh** together man. Rant over. (Albeit the website is convoluted AF and I can’t fine the map to post but most of 28 is clearly hatched out as closed til Aug 31.)
Unreal.

E0A80036-F1E9-4443-AF14-227284D8EB83.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok boys report first then I’ll give me little mini-rant. Fished the West Van shoreline (70-130 depth pink apt to near Atkinson) I know it’s a bit early but it’s also so damn close lol. Got a hatch coho 9am at 65 on a chovy and my bloody favourite lemon lime flasher damn I love that thing. 2/5 on pinks marking them everywhere, never really ran into heavy action but grinded it out and got some meat. Tried 15-50 on the riggers, all hits at 25-30 on rigger. Typical pink gear, I even taped one up with white electrical tape to try and mimic that can tire special (how sad is that) Overall successful day I’d say. The lucky “losing” ticket did its magic again lol inside joke

So the rant: at Vanier pulling the boat out, DFO survey guy asks me what I got etc. Told him. He asked what I used, I said chovy for the coho. He asks: Targeting springs? I say: No, because it’s non-retention!
Then he goes on to tell me “isn’t it fine to keep springs? some other guy told me that” Are u f-in kidding me. Sure he’s only a survey guy, but he has a DFO logo on his name tag and he doesn’t know the reg’s? I mean, that’s absurd. Come on now, ridiculous reg’s aside, get your sh** together man. Rant over. (Albeit the website is convoluted AF and I can’t fine the map to post but most of 28 incl where I was, is clearly hatched out as closed til Aug 31.)
Unreal.

View attachment 69039
Not to be a dink in response but some areas are open to springs. Some of West Van is open. Also across other side.

Back