2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

It is the “unless specified differently”. If you see the second link in the Salmon section. It takes you to this map. And it is clear that MOST of 29-3 is a NO until aug 31. https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/17-chq-eng.pdf

Technically EAST of Thrasher is in 29-3. So there you are correct. South of Bowen. Nope. That’s how I read it
I interpret that ‘unless specified differently’ as the comment re the line east of Gower point to Shah Point on Valdés as a no ‘fishing for chinook’ area. That small pie. I don’t see why they would specifically add a Management Measure saying you can fish Aug 1 only to take it away below. Dunno. I won’t fish till clarified.

So… back to my original question? Anyone fished West Van recently for Coho? Worth it? Or should I head over to Bowen for pink? Heading out tomorrow

Entrance produced well today. Sporty conditions but had a nice spring in the box within twenty minutes.
What were you using and how deep? Was out there for a few hours yesterday, released a few unders and a small ling. Lost one that may have been in the slot but never saw it.

Confused with these regs. Sounds like South Bowen is the spot to be, but am I okay to go target pinks at the bell buoy?
One issue with the regs is the updates and in season revisions.
That is one thing that makes it confusing.
Many of the quoted regs here are from April or May
Unfortunately some the FO officers don't understand all the revisions or choose not to.
The latest revision dated July 31, 2021 is the first that shows a chinook opening.
Now I could be wrong but none of the other updates show a chinook opening for areas 28 or 29, the latest one does.
Even if confusing and needing to be a cartographer to understand.
The colored map is good, but outdated and the FO website is full of outdated stuff or not updated maps etc.
But if there is doubt;
One - Don't fish for chinook
Two - Find a FO officer and get them to explain and show them the latest revision to see what they say, get a name if possible or vessel number for your records.
Three - Follow the latest, by date, revision
Four - Try to phone them, I tried but they didn't answer. (604)666-8266.

BTW the website definitely isn't updating the originally posted April plan or information except for FN notices

So how is the fishing?

Anyone in South Bowen or Turnstall right now? It’s dead for me, and just saw a boat reel in one. Anyone out there with better luck?

3 in the boat and lost 6. Gotta look harder today for the schools compared to yesterday. Still around Cowan Point. We run double stack. 70-50 one side and 60-40 other. Chovies on bottom and pink squirts (18 ins)off flasher on top. Squirts outfishing the chovies. Good luck

3 in the boat and lost 6. Gotta look harder today for the schools compared to yesterday. Still around Cowan Point. We run double stack. 70-50 one side and 60-40 other. Chovies on bottom and pink squirts (18 ins)off flasher on top. Squirts outfishing the chovies. Good luck
Yep. It worked. Thanks @Gator and @Sea Chaser Got my first pink @50 on pink Cheers. I’m on a white boat with a red Net.
cheers

DFO doesn't want to make it easy or understandable or they can't frustrate you to a point of giving up the sport .. Don't get frustrated "Fish" and let the Judge tell them its not clear.
I think rather than telling us what we can't fish...they should just tell us what we can and then we can assume everything else is off limits. I'd like to get out fish around my home island one day. Maybe I'll go coho/pink chasing this week.

What were you using and how deep? Was out there for a few hours yesterday, released a few unders and a small ling. Lost one that may have been in the slot but never saw it.
All action was on white hoochies around 90’ on the DR in between lighthouse and land.

had a pin popper which got off then got one in the boat right after and had to head home.

Fished south Bowen late this afternoon. Put in a couple hours. Didn't see a lot of action. Released a nice wild ho, 6lbs or so. Had a pin popper come and go and lost a couple more. Nice shake down trip before Bamfield next week. Or it was until we got back to launch and realized we'd blown a couple rollers on the trailer. ******* rollers.

Back