2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Nice fish. Well done. Imagine if you didn’t have anything to show to the boss that night. That would’ve been even worse than a fishery ticket….

BTW, sometimes you can tell from the smell of a Chinook. They smells like herbal tea when they’re still shiny and fresh vs other species of salmon with the typical fish smell. Definitely not a recommended way to ID your catch but just another thing to push for that %100 rule.

Hey Rain City, see you around a lot- cheers sir, and many thanks to you and rest of "Crew" for supporting this site = much appreciated. The tips I see here have helped us many times.. . I am not a marine biologist by any means, and judge by gums inside of mouth = all white gums = Coho, black = spring. The spots tail thing seems very unreliable. So got buddy to send me best pic he took of the fish ( now cooked and eaten about an hour ago - wife sort of unhappy wanted more salmon = another story ) showing inside of it's mouth, what you think? , Fish was super "silver" in the light, and gums and inside of mouth look pretty darn white to me. Hybrid or not?
That looks like a chinook. The yellowing and dominant back spots.

This is what the WDFG put out. If the gum line is white where the teeth emerge from the gums on the lower jaw its will be identified as a coho most likely.

Do's and don't's for salmon identification:​

• DO use the gum line on the LOWER jaw for identifying a salmon. It is the single best feature to use. It is also the characteristic that is most likely to be used by enforcement officers in deciding whether a violation has occurred and if a citation should be issued.
  • DO carefully release any salmon if you are unable to make a positive identification and the fish may be a prohibited species.
  • DON'T rely on body color or spots to identify a salmon caught in the ocean. Salmon in the ocean phase of their life cycle will not show the colors that are common after they enter the estuaries and rivers. All ocean salmon are primarily silver in color, and there can be wide variations in spots and color both within and between species.
  • DON'T use the presence or absence of a hooked nose as an identifying characteristic. A hooked nose is a common secondary sexual characteristic of male salmon as they approach maturity, and is present in all species.
  • DON'T use the size of a salmon to determine the species. Although the Chinook grows to be the largest of our salmon, with fish over 50 pounds being caught on occasion, the average size of an ocean caught Chinook is 12-15 pounds. On the other hand coho have been observed in the 25-30 pound range.

Thanks for this post Wildman though maybe the mobs would come get me :) . , And Yes the entire inside of mouth lower & upper gum and tongue was pure white so unless they have albino mouthed springs I am safe, and did not have the spring "smell' or the green dark back like spring, was blue grey back, and the acrobatics was a tell as well,. We did almost release because of spots and size till we looked in mouth, never heard or seen of chinook with white lower gums so we bonked , as well today spoke to my uncle old as dirt fisherman - showed him picture, and he says he knows exactly what it is, said he used to see these all the time, is called an "overwinter" blueback ( never heard of myself) , he says, spotty . bigger than normal for time of year ,we used catch them all the time. Nice eating. Good fight. So I wish a few for you guys ( and gals) , tight lines
Thanks for the posts everyone. Last weekend I had a nice fish to the boat, saw the spots on top and just assumed it was a chinook so I quickly released it. (Cowan pt 77 ft on white hoochie) Looked much like yours Willow-Bee. Next time I will make sure to take the time to have a closer look at the gums!

Hey Rain City, see you around a lot- cheers sir, and many thanks to you and rest of "Crew" for supporting this site = much appreciated. The tips I see here have helped us many times.. . I am not a marine biologist by any means, and judge by gums inside of mouth = all white gums = Coho, black = spring. The spots tail thing seems very unreliable. So got buddy to send me best pic he took of the fish ( now cooked and eaten about an hour ago - wife sort of unhappy wanted more salmon = another story ) showing inside of it's mouth, what you think? , Fish was super "silver" in the light, and gums and inside of mouth look pretty darn white to me. Hybrid or not?
nice fish you caught that in the harbour july 4th?

Hey Rain City, see you around a lot- cheers sir, and many thanks to you and rest of "Crew" for supporting this site = much appreciated. The tips I see here have helped us many times.. . I am not a marine biologist by any means, and judge by gums inside of mouth = all white gums = Coho, black = spring. The spots tail thing seems very unreliable. So got buddy to send me best pic he took of the fish ( now cooked and eaten about an hour ago - wife sort of unhappy wanted more salmon = another story ) showing inside of it's mouth, what you think? , Fish was super "silver" in the light, and gums and inside of mouth look pretty darn white to me. Hybrid or not
I'm really in shock there is even a discussion about this being a coho. It is so clearly a run of the mill fall chinook almost certainly of Harrison genetics mabey columbia tule. Heavy Spots, square tail covered in spots! elongated dent head yellowish twang to it. Easily identifiable at the side of the boat. You cant go off of gums in my opinion as theres lots of coho and chinook with all kinds of white and black variations in there mouths even seen sockeye with black gums. Not bashing anyone its a nice fish and I belive that fish should be bonked any day of the year DFO is a joke.

I'm really in shock there is even a discussion about this being a coho. It is so clearly a run of the mill fall chinook almost certainly of Harrison genetics mabey columbia tule. Heavy Spots, square tail covered in spots! elongated dent head yellowish twang to it. Easily identifiable at the side of the boat. You cant go off of gums in my opinion as theres lots of coho and chinook with all kinds of white and black variations in there mouths even seen sockeye with black gums. Not bashing anyone its a nice fish and I belive that fish should be bonked any day of the year DFO is a joke.
didn’t want to be the one to say it but there is no question that is a chinook

Old report from me, years ago I caught a hatchery coho that weighed in at 7lbs 11oz dressed weight on the outside of pollier pass at the end of May.Turned the head in and the reply that came in the mail back then was that it was a Capilano coho.The odd big one does come early!
that was a early coho

Fishing the past few weeks hitting some good numbers of coho all along west van to cap, scrappy buggers, hoochies with a good whip and skinny g spoons.
play around with depths they’re all over the map, quite a few drop in bites, some are so small they cant bust off the clip, others are violent smashes, springs in the mix... some fun late summer evening bites

whos fishing this weekend? im out saturday thinking of starting at cowans and trolling towards roger curtis for coho and pinks
Can only fish in the morning tomorrow and the tide isn't favorable to fish the West Van/Cap area. Planning to start at Cowans and roll westerly towards RC. Not enough time/motivation to fish the hump for pinks and coho. :p

Back