2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Tried Cowan this morning but it was really blowing out there so just trolled the inside. Nada after 5 hrs so headed to HITW. Much calmer but still a skunk. Guess it might be time to start exploring upper howe and look for pinks.

Tried Cowan this morning but it was really blowing out there so just trolled the inside. Nada after 5 hrs so headed to HITW. Much calmer but still a skunk. Guess it might be time to start exploring upper howe and look for pinks.
Why not try the hump and QA?

Is anyone finding pink salmon around Vancouver anywhere? Saw a guy trolling not far from Kates Park.

Curious, when is peak coho season in the Ocean? First year with a boat, caught and released 2 chinook at Cowan’s point last week, but that’s been all my luck this season in 3 outings.

Coming from Richmond, I always go to South Bowen Island. Should I be trying spots like QA that are closer to me? Thanks!

Update: Got home boat is all unloaded, gear & sounder etc. all stowed away, leftover food in fridge etc. And wife said, "that is not very big" ( the fish guys, the fish - is only about 10 pounds ) , comparing to it one she caught on a trip I took her on up to Naden lodge in Charlottes where she picked up a 30+ pound Coho and received a special Naden lodge Tyee Coho badge, showing me up. A bit put off, I asked her; "Well how much bloody Coho can you eat in one sitting???" No making them happy some days . Geesh. Ah well still a good day IMO.
Like any other story, this one must have another side too :D . 9lbs hatch coho in early July in Vancouver is pretty descent. Did you put it on the scale or it’s just a fisherman’s guestimate?
BTW, sounds like your boat is on its way out of your driveway. You gotta put more hours into fishing and keep the boss happy. ;)

We actually weighted it, flashed between 9.8 and 9.9 on a new untested Rapala digital scale I received for fathers day, we actually thought it was heavier, as we were surprised at the fighting power and size of this lone Coho, & were questioning the accuracy of the never before used scale "Must be heavier than that!" we said, but it wasn't - we confirmed by digging up the old spring scale from bottom of the backup tackle box, and said same = slider just barely under the 10 line,. Bobbing the fish didn't get it past 10... . We just had 'big fish eyes' ..

Oh BTW it had belly full of partially digested pretty small sardine-sized fish about 3 1/2 inches long (sorry am older don't do CM well) ,. And yes, damn right! More hours to keep boss happy coming up soon, taking every Friday off in August and September so can get 2 days a weekend in with one day to recover/clean up. 30th anniversary Vacation cancelled due to Covid-19 so may as well use my vacation days up doing something I love = fishing.
Record catch! I’ve never heard of July coho that size.

Maybe it was one of the Chinook hybrids. I swear I've caught a few that I couldn't get a consensus on what they actually were. That size, that depth makes me wonder. Or it was just an amazing catch and good on yah for sure. Not trying to get downer on the guy.

We misidentified a "coho" the month before that article came out...I'll always wonder if that's what we had caught.

Picked up our very first keeper hatchery Coho SE of Bowen, Early AM, was on the deep line @ 87 feet, in 250 feet water, with small herring rigged, 2.5 mph, top line had shiny Coho gear, was ignored. The Coho is so chrome it is white looking, beautiful first keeper salmon of the year. Lots of flips - thing was crazy , and thought for sure barbless hook would spit and would lose it, panic moments every flip, tense as hell, "please don't come off" screaming in my mind, but the Shimano Technium with it's soft whip-like flex managed to keep it on - thankfully. Was grinning like a dog eating **** in tall grass for hours, as wife has been bugging me for a salmon dinner for months. Finally can make her happy. .TFC . Had hopes up for awesome day, but was pretty dead after that. Good news is water temp has dropped to 67 degrees F today , lots of bait balls on sounder so when they do come in thicker will be lots for them to eat. Pretty bumpy today with about 1 meter waves where we were fishing all morning. So Coho salmon is very spotty still. but is a good sign. One in the cooler is better than none.
awesome

Hey Rain City, see you around a lot- cheers sir, and many thanks to you and rest of "Crew" for supporting this site = much appreciated. The tips I see here have helped us many times.. . I am not a marine biologist by any means, and judge by gums inside of mouth = all white gums = Coho, black = spring. The spots tail thing seems very unreliable. So got buddy to send me best pic he took of the fish ( now cooked and eaten about an hour ago - wife sort of happy wanted more salmon = another story ) showing inside of it's mouth, what you think? , Fish was super "silver" in the light, and gums and inside of mouth look pretty darn white to me. Hybrid or not?
I mean it's a nice bloody fish either way. But yeah that's a tough one. I'm not a fish guru like some guys on here either but that ones confuses me for sure. Larger spots on the back. Spots all over the tail instead of just the top. Super silver though and white as white gums. I'd certainly call it a coho if I caught it lol.

Back