2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Fought the wind to get out of the harbor this afternoon and made it to Gambier for an afternoon of swimming, barbecuing and teaching the nieces how to jig up some flounder. Perfect fathers day. The zinger outfished the sabiki :)

I fished south bowen today. Trying for coho, stacked the lines, all above 65 feet, coho killers, hoochie, nothing, skunked. I heard about a guy catching two decent hatchery coho yesterday so thought we should try. Still a great father's day. It was slow for me last mid June. Oh well, I leave Thursday for four days of fishing in Nootka.
guy that got those hatchery coho he get them off roger curtis? i fished between the hump area and roger curtis as well as off roger curtis and into tunstall i got into four undersize springs i was trying for coho fast troll it was a slow day for me

guy that got those hatchery coho he get them off roger curtis? i fished between the hump area and roger curtis as well as off roger curtis and into tunstall i got into four undersize springs i was trying for coho fast troll it was a slow day for me
The guy, my neighbor at mosquito creek with a mint double eagle. He got them on the south east side. It was bumpy, so thats where he could go. Similar spot to Sunday where everyone seemed to be fishing. He used a bright skinny g at 35 feet, got both. He's a veteran coho master. Last year he seemed so get a bunch.

The guy, my neighbor at mosquito creek with a mint double eagle. He got them on the south east side. It was bumpy, so thats where he could go. Similar spot to Sunday where everyone seemed to be fishing. He used a bright skinny g at 35 feet, got both. He's a veteran coho master. Last year he seemed so get a bunch.
oh ok so off cowans and around seymour bay

Will we see an opening after July 15? Any guesses? This is become quit a military move by the government on the public resources, especially public funded hatchery fish.
Praying for July 15 opening.

Will we see an opening after July 15? Any guesses? This is become quit a military move by the government on the public resources, especially public funded hatchery fish.
Praying for July 15 opening.
Last year when they announced the Chinook closures they had a set opening date for various areas. I confirmed with DFO this past week that no decision has been made on any opening dates for Chinook. Makes it impossible for anyone who's in the industry to run a business or recreational Anglers like myself the plan any trips! As you point out this is outrageous and something we should all be raising with our Member of Parliament and local community newspaper!

Last year when they announced the Chinook closures they had a set opening date for various areas. I confirmed with DFO this past week that no decision has been made on any opening dates for Chinook. Makes it impossible for anyone who's in the industry to run a business or recreational Anglers like myself the plan any trips! As you point out this is outrageous and something we should all be raising with our Member of Parliament and local community newspaper!
I’m sure a decision has already been made. But our elected officials like to keep it all a secret until the last minute. No consideration for those reliant on the industry or those looking to iron out their summer plans.

Just a FYI for any launching at MacDonald beach.

Check the tides, the launch is almost unusable for an hour plus on each side of the low tide, very small boats only.

The north ramp should not be used by large boats 2 hours each side of low tide.

At the lowest the entire ramp is on sand and boats cannot enter the cove at all.

IMO there should be a tide chart posted
AND
the ramp needs dredging which is a topic between the city and habour

Here is a pic of a typical low tide;

Sorry this isn't fishing, but very related once fishing opens;

Attachments

• richmond.jpg
    richmond.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 195
Just a FYI for any launching at MacDonald beach.

Check the tides, the launch is almost unusable for an hour plus on each side of the low tide, very small boats only.

The north ramp should not be used by large boats 2 hours each side of low tide.

At the lowest the entire ramp is on sand and boats cannot enter the cove at all.

IMO there should be a tide chart posted
AND
the ramp needs dredging which is a topic between the city and habour

Here is a pic of a typical low tide;

Sorry this isn't fishing, but very related once fishing opens;
it is pretty bad at low tide and is due for a dredging

Where the Salmon go? Last weekend Sunday June 19th, water temp was about 64 degrees F on the sounder, at Roger Curtis area, picked up a dozen jacks and released 3 nice fighting mid-teen springs, plus one Coho ALMOST big enough. We fished at about 100 feet with herring and 3.5 green/white coyote spoons behind chartreuse flashers', thought we had this dialed in for good fun! Was nice fights great fun, for a family guest, awesome day of catch and release salmon, and couple cod and crab for eats. This week was 70-72 degrees, bathwater warm almost, and picked up NOTHING, same depth same gear fish just gone from area. Heat wave made the fish go away? Where they go?

Where the Salmon go? Last weekend Sunday June 19th, water temp was about 64 degrees F on the sounder, at Roger Curtis area, picked up a dozen jacks and released 3 nice fighting mid-teen springs, plus one Coho ALMOST big enough. We fished at about 100 feet with herring and 3.5 green/white coyote spoons behind chartreuse flashers', thought we had this dialed in for good fun! Was nice fights great fun, for a family guest, awesome day of catch and release salmon, and couple cod and crab for eats. This week was 70-72 degrees, bathwater warm almost, and picked up NOTHING, same depth same gear fish just gone from area. Heat wave made the fish go away? Where they go?
Deeper water in middle of the straight is where the bait will be hanging out. Shallower depths not a fun place for bait fish. BTW, if you look at the water temp in the Fraser, it’s not looking much cooler atm so The early spawn era may be hanging out in the chuck salt for a while.

Deeper water in middle of the straight is where the bait will be hanging out. Shallower depths not a fun place for bait fish. BTW, if you look at the water temp in the Fraser, it’s not looking much cooler atm so The early spawn era may be hanging out in the chuck salt for a while.
Sounds like good idea Ringo. Guess it is like when you buy freshwater fish = they don't like big temp change ( can kill them) and ten degrees is a BIG change in one week = so fish will likely follow the cold water, we tried deeper, down to 175 feet, still nothing. We thought maybe they were just sluggish, but move makes more sense, so you must be right. We will check middle of channel down deeper this coming weekend and report on same.

Salmon are creatures of habit. The pattern should be working for them to bite. Big part of the pattern is the temperature and the oxygen levels. I’m no marine biologist but I’ve been fishing for early summer runs in rivers and I know how the bite goes off right before the first light and then it dies down for the rest of the day when hot and sunny. It’s pretty much the same deal in the ocean. Hot and sunny and lower oxygen levels and they go to the deeper and cooler waters. BTW, threes are all fisherman’s theories so you may still be able to catch your limit on a hot summer day when 200 other boats are getting skunked and running over your fish to ask “what are you using?” :D

Maybe went deeper where the water temperature is cooler or they went south

Picked up a 10lb Spring today at Cowans at 50 feet on a 6 inch sardine. Back it went and pulled up 3 more lines throughout the day with missing sardine. Nothing on the black/white coho killer or green skinny G.
While coming back to Vanier park was followed in by a shiny 18 foot Whaler with downriggers claiming to be with DFO asking questions about what we caught, where we fished, whether the Spring was hatchery, etc. "Research" is what he claimed to be doing but something tells me it wasn't for the DFO. :)

Picked up a 10lb Spring today at Cowans at 50 feet on a 6 inch sardine. Back it went and pulled up 3 more lines throughout the day with missing sardine. Nothing on the black/white coho killer or green skinny G.
While coming back to Vanier park was followed in by a shiny 18 foot Whaler with downriggers claiming to be with DFO asking questions about what we caught, where we fished, whether the Spring was hatchery, etc. "Research" is what he claimed to be doing but something tells me it wasn't for the DFO. :)

sardines sure are killer this time of year

Back