2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Fished Cowan Point for pinks and chum on the high slack on an overcast day earlier this week. A green spatter back hoochie at 140 on one rigger and a big eye avocado dream at 50ft on the other while I was getting ready to double stack . Just before I reached over to do the double stack clip the pin popped and the line zinged out with a 10-12lb hatchery spring safely released. Brought the hoochie up to 65ft and the pin popped with a slightly smaller safely released spring. Eventually caught and released 5 fish at 50-70ft in the space of an hour. My thoughts are: slack tide so fish coming up to feed or move to find feed, and overcast with no sun early in the morning so fish coming up higher in the water column.
Later in the day, fished just south of Hutt Island for pinks and chum on a warm bright late afternoon with the same gear and safely released two 6-8lb in the space of 30 minutes one on each lure all at 190ft on the rigger. My thoughts on this one: bright sunny day with tide changing so those lazy butt fish are sitting down low on the bottom and need to have the lure in their face in order to bite.
Hope this helps the newby fishermen out there.
Tight lines

Thankfully we can still fish for all those pinks and chum! ;)

Went out fishing last night after work. 5-9. Went to Cowan point. I used a bright green coho killer, with stink on the lure. Dad used a herring aid coho killer which he didn't stink up. I got 4 on my side and 1 on his side. So was the stink the difference or the spoon colour. Same flasher. Same depth (50-60feet)Three spring approx 55cm two hatchery and one wild. The other two were hatchery and 65-75cm. Five Chinook with four being hatchery. Great rainy night. Now I have to take the weekend off, if I want to keep the wife. Unless....

Went out fishing last night after work. 5-9. Went to Cowan point. I used a bright green coho killer, with stink on the lure. Dad used a herring aid coho killer which he didn't stink up. I got 4 on my side and 1 on his side. So was the stink the difference or the spoon colour. Same flasher. Same depth (50-60feet)Three spring approx 55cm two hatchery and one wild. The other two were hatchery and 65-75cm. Five Chinook with four being hatchery. Great rainy night. Now I have to take the weekend off, if I want to keep the wife. Unless....
What was the condition of the tides?

Awesome

Made the cross over to thrasher area yesterday, the weather was all over the place calm and windy, calm and sunny then windy and raining. The coho fishing sucked because we couldn’t get past all the Chinook! Hooked into at least 20 Chinook with at least half of them hatchery. Nothing of great size biggest around 12 pounds. Spoon outperformed the bait. Also got into one surprise pink salmon so it seems they are starting to show up! Most boats were focused on cod fishing and we had a really hard time hooking into any. No lingcod for us, seems it’s getting hit pretty hard.

Made the cross over to thrasher area yesterday, the weather was all over the place calm and windy, calm and sunny then windy and raining. The coho fishing sucked because we couldn’t get past all the Chinook! Hooked into at least 20 Chinook with at least half of them hatchery. Nothing of great size biggest around 12 pounds. Spoon outperformed the bait. Also got into one surprise pink salmon so it seems they are starting to show up! Most boats were focused on cod fishing and we had a really hard time hooking into any. No lingcod for us, seems it’s getting hit pretty hard.
Yeah man it's that time of year where we'd all go stock our freezers with the great eating 10lb-12lb clones and then maybe grab a ling when you got your limit. I haven't fished for a salmon since early March. The ling's must be taking a pounding.

Edit: since FEBRUARY! :mad:

Its that time of year I went over to salmon rock last weekend. I got into about 3 fish after the tide change and the guide boats headed home. I was using cookies and cream 3.5" with herring aid flasher. The one fish started doing massive headshakes and took a bit of line but refused to run. I fought with him for about 5 minutes. Ended up loosing the hook up kept tension and letting a bit of line out as he shook.

I can remember in july just trolling to salmon rock in between pebbles beach in the gap and hooking a nice chinook. They are very aggressive and cover a lot of ground so just try 100 feet at gower point 100 feet at salmon rock. Really good success with pink hootchies clear and pink.

Yeah man it's that time of year where we'd all go stock our freezers with the great eating 10lb-12lb clones and then maybe grab a ling when you got your limit. I haven't fished for a salmon since early March. The ling's must be taking a pounding.

Edit: since FEBRUARY! :mad:
FMSW! :(:mad:

I too had an experience with the commercial guys but Saturday. Was rolling about 200 ft of the sunset marine barges when a boat comes at me no more than 20 ft away. Saw them pick up a line (never saw a float) and started hauling in traps for the next 1000 ft where there was a bouy. Sad they feel the need to drop all around the same area sporties drop. So be very careful around sunset or you might just lose your traps.

Bad take . These guys are out there supporting their family’s on the water , same breath as that doughhead complaining about tugs earlier this year . you are out there at YOUR LEISURE .

Took the day off work to head across the pond. After going through lots of undersized lings finally landed a 10-12 pound keeper - nothing too exciting but when i went to clean it saw something I've never seen before - the ling had recently eaten a fairly large squid. Has anyone else come across this in our local waters? Now I want to figure out how to catch these squid!!!! I tried a couple times in the harbour this winter for opal squid like they do in Puget Sound but no luck. I'm assuming this is an opal squid that was in the lings stomach?

that’s a arm hook squid , i know a commercial krill fisherman that jigs them day and night and does quite well, they get up to like 5 - 6 lbs , a few vids of guys jigging them in alaska on youtube

Well, well… I’m back out of hibernation. Just got a new vessel!… my forever boat (for at least a few years ) Working overtime to get her all geared up then time for the maiden voyage. How’s the coho out there? Going to get out and give it a go next weekend if all goes well… wondering if I should make the crossing to Thrasher or hang around this side somewhere. Anyone getting into them yet? Pic for attention (and show off my new girl )

Attachments

• B2BD69AE-4E29-4045-965D-E36A96B34C50.jpeg
    B2BD69AE-4E29-4045-965D-E36A96B34C50.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 2A529EB0-A9A3-4F3A-B482-1CE1F478F156.jpeg
    2A529EB0-A9A3-4F3A-B482-1CE1F478F156.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 272
Back