2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Well, well… I’m back out of hibernation. Just got a new vessel!… my forever boat (for at least a few years ) Working overtime to get her all geared up then time for the maiden voyage. How’s the coho out there? Going to get out and give it a go next weekend if all goes well… wondering if I should make the crossing to Thrasher or hang around this side somewhere. Anyone getting into them yet? Pic for attention (and show off my new girl )
no coho yet but still lots of springs

that’s a arm hook squid , i know a commercial krill fisherman that jigs them day and night and does quite well, they get up to like 5 - 6 lbs , a few vids of guys jigging them in alaska on youtube
Adanac - thank you very much for sharing this info!!!! I have lots of questions becasue I would love to learn how to target these squid. Does this commercial krill fisherman jig for them in the Vancouver area? If not which general area? Depth? Structure? Can they be seen on sonar? Sometimes I wonder if the baitfish I see deep could be squid, etc, etc.....

I'd like to jig them in the day (assuming they would be deeper then) as not so comfortable heading out at night with all the logs in our waters.

Will search the for the Alaska videos and study those soon

If any of you guys are out and see my boat the Sydfishes, 26.5 striper and wave and I don't wave back, it's because I'm not on board. We sold the boat. Too much uncertainty with the fishing. We have a smaller boat on the island and will do our prawning, crabbing and whatever fishing we can manage over there. Maybe we'll rebuy in a year or two if saner heads prevail at the DFO. In the meantime I'll keep monitoring all the reports here and wish you all the best.

If any of you guys are out and see my boat the Sydfishes, 26.5 striper and wave and I don't wave back, it's because I'm not on board. We sold the boat. Too much uncertainty with the fishing. We have a smaller boat on the island and will do our prawning, crabbing and whatever fishing we can manage over there. Maybe we'll rebuy in a year or two if saner heads prevail at the DFO. In the meantime I'll keep monitoring all the reports here and wish you all the best.
About the only way that's going to change is a change in government in the next election!

Adanac - thank you very much for sharing this info!!!! I have lots of questions becasue I would love to learn how to target these squid. Does this commercial krill fisherman jig for them in the Vancouver area? If not which general area? Depth? Structure? Can they be seen on sonar? Sometimes I wonder if the baitfish I see deep could be squid, etc, etc.....

I'd like to jig them in the day (assuming they would be deeper then) as not so comfortable heading out at night with all the logs in our waters.

Will search the for the Alaska videos and study those soon

i believe he gets them in the jervis inlet area , i’m sure they are everywhere . i think he said 60 fathoms during the day

i believe he gets them in the jervis inlet area , i’m sure they are everywhere . i think he said 60 fathoms during the day
This is great info Adanac - thank you very much. One last question - any idea if your friend is catching them year round or if it is seasonal?

The Ling that had one in its gut was caught at 70ft in the Thrasher area so they are obviously over there in May/June and like all squid come up from the depths at night to feed.

In any case, I will try to target them from time to time in different areas and if I have any luck will report here. Cheers.

This is great info Adanac - thank you very much. One last question - any idea if your friend is catching them year round or if it is seasonal?

The Ling that had one in its gut was caught at 70ft in the Thrasher area so they are obviously over there in May/June and like all squid come up from the depths at night to feed.

In any case, I will try to target them from time to time in different areas and if I have any luck will report here. Cheers.
i’m not totally sure i would have to follow up , but whenever the krill fishery is

Ok thanks for the reply it was around this time last year I was getting into them I might go try the hump this Saturday

Well, well… I’m back out of hibernation. Just got a new vessel!… my forever boat (for at least a few years ) Working overtime to get her all geared up then time for the maiden voyage. How’s the coho out there? Going to get out and give it a go next weekend if all goes well… wondering if I should make the crossing to Thrasher or hang around this side somewhere. Anyone getting into them yet? Pic for attention (and show off my new girl )
Thrasher for lings. Springs are around. 20lbs perhaps. Best wait for august for 30s

First time poster - 6 month lurker. Just wanted to say thanks to all for your comments and time. Being new to the salt water fishing scene it has been really helpful having this forum in particular to get real updates. After coming up empty on a half dozen trips out around Bowen my Dad and I finally started to make a few things click today and picked up a 7-8lb spring at 60 feet on a green and black skinny G. Back to the water but it was good to not get skunked. On the prawn front, 3 traps and just a few small shrimp. Commercial guys have definitely worked the spots hard that used to be great a few months ago.

Main point of the post was just to warn all of a big bald eagle that has a nest to the Eastern side of Cowan's. We strangely caught a flounder today trolling and when it surfaced, out of the tree in no-time this eagle came down, National Geographic style and of all things grabbed the flasher and tried to make off with it. A bit of a hoot watching my dad try not to lose his rod before the eagle let go shortly after. He went back up in the tree with eyes once again on the water waiting for the next opportunity.

Main point of the post was just to warn all of a big bald eagle that has a nest to the Eastern side of Cowan's. We strangely caught a flounder today trolling and when it surfaced, out of the tree in no-time this eagle came down, National Geographic style and of all things grabbed the flasher and tried to make off with it. A bit of a hoot watching my dad try not to lose his rod before the eagle let go shortly after. He went back up in the tree with eyes once again on the water waiting for the next opportunity.
First outing of the year. Trolled Seymour Bay to Roger Curtis and back again. Had a good fish on just after we dropped the gear, but it spat the hooks and then it was really slow. Just a couple hits that didn’t stick and one undersized spring. Didn’t see many bent rods at all, but did see a boat at Cowans fighting what appeared to be an undersized spring or small coho. The eagle flew over and stalked them, circling at low level for quite a while before taking off. Thought it was gonna swoop down and try for their catch but it eventually took off. Certainly an aggressive bugger!

Last edited:
First outing of the year. Trolled Seymour Bay to Roger Curtis and back again. Had a good fish on just after we dropped the gear, but it spat the hooks and then it was really slow. Just a couple hits that didn’t stick and one undersized spring. Didn’t see many bent rods at all, but did see a boat at Cowans fighting what appeared to be an undersized spring or small coho. The flew over and stalked them, circling at low level for quite a while before taking off. Thought it was gonna swoop down and try for their catch but it eventually took off. Certainly an aggressive bugger!
Theres many opportunities for pinks. Coho will show up in august off of ambleside. Bowen island you can get in 20lbsers. I say wait until august 15th easy opportunity and keep going. im going for a 50lber this year. Nothing else matters

Theres many opportunities for pinks. Coho will show up in august off of ambleside. Bowen island you can get in 20lbsers. I say wait until august 15th easy opportunity and keep going. im going for a 50lber this year. Nothing else matters
Is that when we are allowed to keep a Chinook August 15th?

Is that when we are allowed to keep a Chinook August 15th?

Half full or half empty , I'm guessing from the reports no chinook fishing this year in Howe Sound. Maybe on the west side hope I'm wrong.

I fished south bowen today. Trying for coho, stacked the lines, all above 65 feet, coho killers, hoochie, nothing, skunked. I heard about a guy catching two decent hatchery coho yesterday so thought we should try. Still a great father's day. It was slow for me last mid June. Oh well, I leave Thursday for four days of fishing in Nootka.

Back