2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Hull number is bogus too.
Just so you know....The CPIC data base you are using for your search, only gives you a response back if the BC Reg number you entered has been reported as stolen and has been inputted into the CPIC system by police. Its for stolen items. Not for BC Reg checks.

It would be good to see if they also go after those in the illegal act. 209 ghost traps isn’t small operations and there’s likely an abuse of commercial fishing license involved in this.
I’ve seen these guys hammering the area with ghost trapping, every time I was out this winter and spring. Surprisingly, for my last 3 outings the last couple of weeks, I didn’t see them around the area. This DFO ops may have something to do with that.

View attachment 65368
I reported these guys before and waited for a couple of hours for DFO to respond. They finally headed off up the north and and I couldn't pursue. I called to advise DFO. I eventually left the area and several hours later DFO called to ask if they were still there. Duh. Hard to understand that in this last instance where divers found ghost traps that DFO didn't stake it out and wait for the poachers. Instead they just recovered the traps. Duh.

Again, there is a thread ongoing in the Conservation forum on the Crab topic. Let's leave this thread for what it is intended for...fishing reports, whatever they look like at this time.

Thanks

Sadly, it's not just this one boat. There are a couple of others as well and unfortunately they all come out of Richmond and right under DFO's nose. I have personally reported the blue Kingfisher and the other 28' with all fenders out but have never seen RCMP/DFO dispatching enforcement. This trap theft issue has been an ongoing problem in the harbor/Howe Sound for the last few years. Add to that the pressure of ghost trapping (under the FN's commercial fishing cover) and there's no surprise shellfish stocks have been going down lately. I'll still call in all the suspicious activities but also like to see some real enforcement.
Not all of us with Blue Kingfishers are bad.

Went out with the boy to try to get some prawns for Mother (my better half), for Mother's Day. Not many people out there but the guys I saw were guarding their traps pretty well; good on 'em! No sign of the earlier mentioned marauding vessels.

Attachments

• 20210509_150652.jpg
    20210509_150652.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 20210509_180824.jpg
    20210509_180824.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 20210509_192152.jpg
    20210509_192152.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 265
Out today for just a few hours off Cowans. Tons of bait. Had 3 beautiful fish to the boat, all hatchery. 10-15lbs. Caught from 60 - 120ft. Simply ridiculous that one of those couldn't have been kept for the BBQ. DFO is a farce!

I wonder if a cash reward might attract added attention? There are lots of guides and boats without work as well as more than a few recessional boats that might not mind say a $2000 dollar reward. That might get more folks watching where they dump these traps and if DFO will not pick them up, well I guess they are free right?
I'm thinking about investing in a heavy duty grappling hook and drag boom and getting me some traps.

Produced the same on on the other side today. Someone picked up and emptied two of my prawn sets though. Moved over (opposite the current from when I set them), doors open, no prawns. Lame. Other two sets not far away got these. Great day otherwise. All fish power mooching herring today, no love for the plastic.
20210511_145042.jpg

Produced the same on on the other side today. Someone picked up and emptied two of my prawn sets though. Moved over (opposite the current from when I set them), doors open, no prawns. Lame. Other two sets not far away got these. Great day otherwise. All fish power mooching herring today, no love for the plastic.
View attachment 65602
That’s an albino!

View attachment 65602
Nice haul. Crappy about the prawn piracy though. I never let the traps out of sight now. I would love to see some (as in any) enforcement on this.

Produced the same on on the other side today. Someone picked up and emptied two of my prawn sets though. Moved over (opposite the current from when I set them), doors open, no prawns. Lame. Other two sets not far away got these. Great day otherwise. All fish power mooching herring today, no love for the plastinice
View attachment 65602
nice im heading over tommorow

View attachment 65602

You guys and your functional rigs suck lol...nice work, sweeeet day for it. Best we could manage was some free sledding up seymour with no one else around. This damn boat can't get fixed fast enough!

You guys and your functional rigs suck lol...nice work, sweeeet day for it. Best we could manage was some free sledding up seymour with no one else around. This damn boat can't get fixed fast enough!
Very good backup plan!

Out yesterday off Cowans between 9:30 and 12:30 we had 12 springs to the boat. One wild, all the rest hatchery. All over 10lbs with several close to 15. All caught around 120' most on Herring aide.

Back