2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

The DFO has to be more diligent in their job! We know this thing is going on why don't they.
Easier to stop rec fishing on top of the water. Some people feel entitled to do these things. Stop ***** footing!
Back to fishing reports o_O

Speaking of fishing, has anyone been out for blue backs? Any success? Have they arrived yet? Thanks :)
I saw a few boats fishing the west van shoreline and around the fisheries on Sunday but I think it’s a bit early to see them in numbers. If it’s a nice day and you’ve got nothing else to do, it’d be worth a try.

Earliest I’ve caught one in the river was in first week of May but then that was a decade ago when we used to have much healthier runs.

It would be good to see if they also go after those in the illegal act. 209 ghost traps isn’t small operations and there’s likely an abuse of commercial fishing license involved in this.
I’ve seen these guys hammering the area with ghost trapping, every time I was out this winter and spring. Surprisingly, for my last 3 outings the last couple of weeks, I didn’t see them around the area. This DFO ops may have something to do with that.

View attachment 65368
i saw them a few days ago out working the water. Actually saw 2 boats working the waters.

I guarantee they are hauling under the cover of darkness... there is no way they are hauling hundreds of traps in broad daylight. Dont understand why they cant do a stakeout and catch the perps. Thr traps will be hauled within 24-48hrs so wouldnt be a lengthy stakeout.

DFO has consistently repossessed hundreds of illegal crab traps every year for past several years in boundary bay...that area used to be great crabbing grounds but has been wiped clean.

DFO repossesses the illegal crab traps and uses it for PR. doesnt impress me. Catch the perps red handed would be a good start.

I wonder if a cash reward might attract added attention? There are lots of guides and boats without work as well as more than a few recessional boats that might not mind say a $2000 dollar reward. That might get more folks watching where they dump these traps and if DFO will not pick them up, well I guess they are free right?

I wonder if a cash reward might attract added attention? There are lots of guides and boats without work as well as more than a few recessional boats that might not mind say a $2000 dollar reward. That might get more folks watching where they dump these traps and if DFO will not pick them up, well I guess they are free right?
there is another thread for trap talk

As has been pointed out a few times here, there is a thread in the Conservation section on the Crab trap topic. Time to take it there and leave this one for fishing reports.

It would be good to see if they also go after those in the illegal act. 209 ghost traps isn’t small operations and there’s likely an abuse of commercial fishing license involved in this.
I’ve seen these guys hammering the area with ghost trapping, every time I was out this winter and spring. Surprisingly, for my last 3 outings the last couple of weeks, I didn’t see them around the area. This DFO ops may have something to do with that.

View attachment 65368
same boat ive seen before

This morning I dropped off my crab traps in front of spanish banks in approx 60-70 feet of water at about 8am before cruising across the straight. When I came back to grab my traps at 1pm the same day, only 3 out of the 4 were there... I've been crabbing for quite some time so it wasn't a careless mistake.. I have weights in my traps, I clearly mark every trap on my fish finder and the traps are evenly spread apart and today all traps were set between 60-70 feet of water... I have read about a huge upswing in recent theft of prawn and crab traps. I am quite confident someone stole my crab trap but in the event I am wrong, if anyone is going to be dropping off crab traps or passing by spanish banks on their way to the fishing grounds can you please let me know if you see my buoy? It's a extra large ORANGE Bullet buoy which is not common so it should stick out like a sore thumb. I've attached a picture of the buoy and the location of where the trap was dropped. The buoy has my number with the last 4 digits being 9770.

The reason I've posted it in the fishing report is because many of you, including myself, drop of crab or prawn traps prior to going fishing or for a cruise... there have been a number of reports as of late about stolen prawn and crab traps...seems like this problem is getting out of control... If my traps were indeed stolen which I am fairly certain they were, perhaps the ones who picked it up dropped it off in deeper water or perhaps they dropped it off somewhere far from the original location. If you happen to be cruising past a LARGE orange buoy near spanish banks or spot it elsewhere, please message me. thank you.
View attachment 65338
View attachment 65337
Same thing happened to me in Squamish a couple weeks ago. 1 trap gone

A friend just sent me a photo of this boat that was caught pulling his pots and had other people's pots on board the boat. It's been reported to DFO but I thought I would share the photos
Anybody see these guys out today? We dropped our prawn traps west of Passage Island. We were trolling for coho on south east Bowen and now I see this post Im pretty sure when I looked across I saw this boat near where my traps were. We came back after a 3 hour soak and 2 lines were gone.

Back