2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Don't get me wrong. Ive caught fish at the hump, I know it can be productive. But I don't know what I'm doing out there. I just do long tacts with the current, then pull up. Drive back to the start and repeat. Whole time I'm out there I wonder what Tunstall is like. Lol

Dude it's like you're out on our boat! I manage the "tunstall" anxiety doing cap fall fishing style donuts and shockingly no one is around to yell at me.

Anyway what I do on the hump is go to whichever end is running with the tide and do one super long tack with the current. Clears the pollock out of the way for the fleet of Commanders to murder springs with wreckless abandon.

Don't get me wrong. Ive caught fish at the hump, I know it can be productive. But I don't know what I'm doing out there. I just do long tacts with the current, then pull up. Drive back to the start and repeat. Whole time I'm out there I wonder what Tunstall is like. Lol
Hooray... I am not alone.

I think every area has that spot that has some intermittent magic that you’re always wondering what happening there when you’re not getting them

I fished out at the hump a few times with a guy who had a 26' Shamrock-a beautifully kept boat I couldn't believe how other boats liked to follow him around; sure we hit fish but does that justify being 20' off our stern for (seemingly) hours at a time?

It was nuts and I can't remember one of the followers catching a thing I guess they just had no idea WTH to do or how to do it-the thing is if someone had come by and asked I would have told them '6-160 feet deep small green/white spoon or white hootchie' which is all we were doing.

I just had a look at the regs and it just says everything is open and that's it. So they would have to send out a notice I think. Any extra days we can get is a bonus.
as of april 1 everything shutdown except areas 29-1 29-2 which is from gower point up the east side of the coast from what i see

I think this announcement was a forgone conclusion as they extended comment period up to April 9 I think. Maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s the next notice that counts likely mid April?
maybe one of the people involved on our side could comment
Same as last summer no retention thrasher/entrance north of gambier
SOL south of gower vancouver side

I think this announcement was a forgone conclusion as they extended comment period up to April 9 I think. Maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s the next notice that counts likely mid April?
maybe one of the people involved on our side could comment
Same as last summer no retention thrasher/entrance north of gambier
SOL south of gower vancouver side
Ya it's the follow-up announcement that we're looking forward to.. I don't think many people expected a decision just yet..

as of april 1 everything shutdown except areas 29-1 29-2 which is from gower point up the east side of the coast from what i see

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but 29-1 and 29 -2 appear open for c&r only...has to be, only it opened earlier last year on July 15. Geez I hope that's not the same this season. Ugh

Last edited:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but 29-1 and 29 -2 appear open for c&r only...has to be, only it opened earlier last year on July 15. Geez I hope that's not the same this season. Ugh
That's what I read. Gower North only opens a month earlier. It's not open now. But it's a C&R only as apposed to "no fishing for salmon"

Back