2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Historically is it usually this windy at this time of year? I have had to cancel more trips than I can remember based on past memory.
Unfortunately, it's becoming new normal. More winds and rain in the fall/winter and drought in summer. Thanks to climate change.

It’s the storm season in this part of the world. Not trying to deny climate change but November has never been nice and calm in the south coast. Calmer seas usually come with colder weather after mid January - or those days that I’m in the office. ;)

Fished Gower Point to Tunstall along the outside. One part had so much bait in the water that my Sounder went full yellow. And there were a few porpoises bobbing around. A bunch of young seals followed me around. Tunstall had what I think was a ton of bait in the 200’ range. couldn’t get a bite for my life. But it was so nice out that it didn’t matter. What a great day.

Attachments

• A0F8CB8C-40E7-4124-984E-302E5E44F6D0.jpeg
    A0F8CB8C-40E7-4124-984E-302E5E44F6D0.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 161
  • CD77462D-5215-4A20-8476-8577D1AFB82D.jpeg
    CD77462D-5215-4A20-8476-8577D1AFB82D.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 161
Fished Gower Point to Tunstall along the outside. One part had so much bait in the water that my Sounder went full yellow. And there were a few porpoises bobbing around. A bunch of young seals followed me around. Tunstall had what I think was a ton of bait in the 200’ range. couldn’t get a bite for my life. But it was so nice out that it didn’t matter. What a great day.
At least some life on the screen! Enough to keep a guy interested. Looks like pair of fish hanging above it in the 80-100’ zone there.

Had about a dozen bites today. Two almost legals (but not really) and the rest babies. They hit everything we put down and all action between 180-220 in all depths of water, South Bowen. Thick thick with bait everywhere. My keeper streak has come to an end unfortunately. Even after we spent 2 hours trying to start the kicker it was still an amazing day. Couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces if you tried. Not a lick of wind until around 2pm.

Fished Tunstall Bay from 10-1, through the hide tide just before noon, and there was some good patches of action, especially from 10-11 on the rising tide.

Had ~8 fish on, landed 3, kept one that was just over 62cms and was surprised to find it was a white when I opened her up.

Not sure what I was doing to lose so many fish. Need to give myself a talking to.

Action was right on bottom in 140-160' on both green / white glow spoon and chartreuse hoochie. Lots of bait around (as mentioned above), especially out deeper in 200-250'. Tried a few tacks through the clouds and didn't pick up anything.

Thanks for sharing this, I was praying that the spawning areas were not impacted by this latest threat to the fish stocks.

I am happy to hear they have not been greatly impacted.
Sorry-- but they HAVE been devastatingly impacted. We will see the results for several years

Crazy warm and zero wind day yesterday, hitting fish with hoochies but just couldn’t stick..so switched over to spoons with better results, made a wicked spot prawn red miso paste Ramen, late night snack after fishing with some fresh sweet prawns..those winter colours unreal
View attachment 72662View attachment 72663
View attachment 72664
Why didn't the hoochies stick? What colour of hoochies? Where did you fish? Did you find bait? Etc. Etc.

Why didn't the hoochies stick? What colour of hoochies? Where did you fish? Did you find bait? Etc. Etc.

Never mind the hoochie you should have seen the bbq toasted Italian deli sandwich with provolone and Sicilian olives, was better then a fish strike...

Sorry Hoochie... Green glow splatter back is pretty much the only one i'll fish in the winter it works all the time, my thinking is if it's missed hits
or fish comes off means the hook is barely on the lip, maybe the hoochie is dancing to much for them to get a good set... hook is set back more on spoons and sits in one spot so better chance of the hook going deeper, but theres days that the hooch is unreal, South Bowen, then 3 beers ... Bait.. i find you can boat 5-10 min anywhere and hit bait. i look for seals

IMG_9527.JPG

Last edited:
Never mind the hoochie you should have seen the bbq toasted Italian deli sandwich with provolone and Sicilian olives, was better then a fish strike...

Sorry Hoochie... Green glow splatter back is pretty much the only one i'll fish in the winter it works all the time, my thinking is if it's missed hits
or fish comes off means the hook is barely on the lip, maybe the hoochie is dancing to much for them to get a good set... hook is set back more on spoons and sits in one spot so better chance of the hook going deeper, but theres days that the hooch is unreal, South Bowen, then 3 beers ... Bait.. i find you can boat 5-10 min anywhere and hit bait. i look for seals

View attachment 72672
They were light bites. Even on the tandem treble dinner getter that I threw out in a panic to copy Reeltime, the fish was easily released because it was barely caught in the lip on the stinger. I wouldn't normally run that setup this time of year.

Is south of Bowen all along the southside or is it that big structure couple kilometres out?

Is south of Bowen all along the southside or is it that big structure couple kilometres out?
In tight from Roger Curtis to Cowen. The big structure you're referring to is called The Hump. Although there are many many places called The Hump around the coast.

Cool
Thanks RC
Fished from edge of Tunstall bay entrance about 1/3 towards Cowan. 1 nice undersized in about 300’ at 200’ on rigger. Then backtracked out and fished “the hump” - 3 more nice undersized and one baby. All at about 200-240’ on rigger in deep water. Then into Tunstall. I went into the bay and fished the 140’ section. 1 beautiful keeper about 66 cm.

my net got caught up on something on the swim grid so I opened the transom door and “ushered” in my guest.

all on green spoons.

Cool
Thanks RC
Fished from edge of Tunstall bay entrance about 1/3 towards Cowan. 1 nice undersized in about 300’ at 200’ on rigger. Then backtracked out and fished “the hump” - 3 more nice undersized and one baby. All at about 200-240’ on rigger in deep water. Then into Tunstall. I went into the bay and fished the 140’ section. 1 beautiful keeper about 66 cm.

my net got caught up on something on the swim grid so I opened the transom door and “ushered” in my guest.

all on green spoons.
Nice! Glad to get some intel out further. I think there's a ton of fish out there. Most guys don't start hitting the hump until April so this is great. I call it the nap tack.

Back