2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I'm getting the popcorn buttered and opening a bottle of red.

All joking aside when I'm solo I only fish two rods each on their own downrigger. When a fish is on I keep it in gear and use the autopilot to keep the fish away from the boat and the other side. In 8 years I've only had two fish make a run for the other downrigger and succeed. Both times on the same outing at Hole in the Wall. The fish were CRAAZY that day! Every other time no problem. But when solo a double header turns into a cluster. I've seen guys fishing 4 rods solo, but that's too much for my heart.

Anyways - this is a report page so to keep the moderators' happy I was out last weekend and tried for feeders in the harbour. 2 undersized and saw a guy who was trolling delay a freighter's departure that was lifting anchor. The 5 horns didn't register. I'm sure Vancouver has a reputation amongst freighter captains. Never a dull moment out there........
screw the freighters man they think theyre so tuff

Or possibly busy restringing a downrigger?
i know i know i spend 4 hours untangling braid to get properly wond on my cheap daiwa level wind. not to mention the 900 feet of braid i pulled off another tangled level wind. buy the daiwa tournament mooching reel when its on sale from cabelas or steveston. i have 3 rods buddy has 2. ill pull another spring out of the cap yet. 8 herring and about 10 anchovy fully brinned. ill put in 20 hours in one day. the hits come 1 to 2 hours after tide change. 70'.

2025 - Entire Vancouver inside harbour from Point Atkinson to Bell Buoy closed to fishing to ensure safe operation of Freighter traffic.
ya well i pass freighters all the time with my left headlight on. they see me. steaming or not. ill get my 20-25 out of the cap and return home safe.

i know i know i spend 4 hours untangling braid to get properly wond on my cheap daiwa level wind. not to mention the 900 feet of braid i pulled off another tangled level wind. buy the daiwa tournament mooching reel when its on sale from cabelas or steveston. i have 3 rods buddy has 2. ill pull another spring out of the cap yet. 8 herring and about 10 anchovy fully brinned. ill put in 20 hours in one day. the hits come 1 to 2 hours after tide change. 70'.
If all the hits come in a 1 to 2 hour window what are you doing for the other 18 hours? I would LOVE to go fishing for 20 hours. So definitely part of this question is motivated by jealousy.

best is to have your boat in vancouver fish your tide change go home. you get one spring well youre not getting another go home. i come from 30km away. ill spend all day trolling on the 20hp tohatsu. yes tohatsu japanese quality. 1 or 2 hours on the otimax and 18 hours on the 20hp. my opti is good for 5k hours i have 700. ill troll in and out of the harbour. my biggest spring is 30lbs september 11, 2020.

best is to have your boat in vancouver fish your tide change go home. you get one spring well youre not getting another go home. i come from 30km away. ill spend all day trolling on the 20hp tohatsu. yes tohatsu japanese quality. 1 or 2 hours on the otimax and 18 hours on the 20hp. my opti is good for 5k hours i have 700. ill troll in and out of the harbour. my biggest spring is 30lbs september 11, 2020.
If your opti goes to 5k hours ill clean up your boat

i run on 4 hours sleep. trust me this optimax is a workhorse. 300 hours when i bought it i put 400 hours on it trolling ive caught maybe 7 springs. dont idle these things. i spent 4400$ on tohatsu. they are better than mercury. ill troll out of the marina on this thing 12 amp changer. f off optimax. ill run you at 5500rpm for the rest of your life.

i run on 4 hours sleep. trust me this optimax is a workhorse. 300 hours when i bought it i put 400 hours on it trolling ive caught maybe 7 springs. dont idle these things. i spent 4400$ on tohatsu. they are better than mercury. ill troll out of the marina on this thing 12 amp changer. f off optimax. ill run you at 5500rpm for the rest of your life.
Do you find that you roll the anchovy trolling that fast out of the marina?

Do you use bait for early spring tyees or just hardware? How fast do you troll to catch them?
there are early springs. ive busted off thrasher my buddy has been spooled in hole in the wall. he fishes april. all lures at that time i prefer green and silver or white hootchie.

ya well as the guy off sooke who caught a 40+ off of 30'. you never know. i fish gower at 30'. i caught a spring maybe 16lbs. a 20 at salmon rock or home island. another 16' 200 feet of water with my son on anchovy. we landed it. springs can be anywhere. stay away from the pack and troll. i caught the spring with my son at 120'. another we lost 100' in shoal channel in the middle of no where. regs were closed. springs are anywhere. set your rigger 70' to 120'. youre fishing thrasher set it at 180' go out into 600'. ill post the pic if you want me to.

Back