2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

But I got you you're all welcome I forgot hehe
Dont sweat it. ALL those fish will end up with a 12/O treble in their backs next rainfall. I caught this particular hook while fishing the Cap. I was fishing under the highway Bridge and "hooked" a nice spring only to lose it after a 5 minute fight. When I reeled in my size 1 barbless hook after losing the fish i saw that my hook snagged the treble through the eye. So this may have been the luckiest salmon in the river. Clearly it was hooked through the back down lower near the mouth of the cap, but was lucky to escape. I then hooked my tiny hook through the eye of the treble and released the hook from the fish's back while I was fighting it. I have since caught 2 more of these hooks off the river bottom when snagged. These fish have ZERO chance for future generations.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210925-195240_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210925-195240_Twitter.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 129
If you put a drop of epoxy in the base where those three hooks come together, it will prevent fish from breaking the trailer hook off if the line gets jambed up under the treble.
Interesting. I'll have to try I have to epoxy a rod tip. I'm fishing with my dad's mooching rod from 86 meantime.
Yes, it sounds like an honest mistake.

Getting caught using a barbed hook may result in a monetary fine.

Getting caught with undersized or illegally caught fish and one may find themselves unable to cross the border or get a job at some companies
I was up until 4am untangling 900 feet of Braid off a level wind. Tied new leaders up at 6am to make coffee. All my gear is barbless. Just so happened I forgot the one barb in an anchovy teaser head with a herring in it. So you only need to but anchovy heads they fit medium herring.

Fished Sandheads one 11 pound spring = red immature doe, one 15 lb. marble buck almost mature spring. Both surprisingly on Boone pink/purple hoochies , 26 inch leaders, set up for chums on the top lines, behind, "guide special" flashers, ( so like 25 feet or less of water , 61-65 on rigger , 35 foot stacking spread) and lost 6+ unknown solid clip-popper hits some on bottom herring lines, , every time I slowed right down & sped up. Chum, Coho. more Springs? Who knows = never saw. My big for his age 9 year old grandson was watching the lines and he had problems with getting rods out of holders and a fast/good set ,and with keeping tension on with barbless hooks ( speaking of barbs wanted some for him this day, none on boat, Gamukatsu 4/5/0 barbless only, poor guy was getting frustrated, glad he managed to keep 2 on) . We both have colds ( up coughing at 1:40 AM writing this) but grandma wants fish for the smoker so we called it "the misery tour". Tried getting him to drive and he ran right into a commercial crab trap right away ( had to come to dead stop - to chop up, untangle, and retie all gear, snarled mess, he got to hear Grandpa swear a lot) and then soon after a small open cab black aluminum who we later watched have altercations with others for bad driving cut him off repeatedly no matter which way he turned - scaring him off driving job entirely. But was mostly flat beautiful day and 2 fish better than no fish. image001.png

Well a Friday afternoon at North Arm turned into a little adventure. Not a sniff for 4 hours at North Arm so my impatient a** said “forget this, call your wives tell them you ain’t back until Sat evening, let’s bust over to the cabin (Mayne)” Take advantage of the bathtub that was the beautiful Salish Sea.
A few hours in my honey holes fri pm/Sat am to finish out the ling season, then back over to sand heads Sat afternoon to get skunked again (albeit only a couple hours)
Tried chovies all over the depth column, no love
For the lings, I use swim shad lures or just bounce a fat herring of bottom. No intel on my spots tho… sorry. Lol
Maybe I’ll try the googan show at the Cap next weekend…
Ps: Prodjsaig, ur gettin a little fired up here… but at least you have a nice lookin boat ;)
Pss: it was a boys trip, no blondie photos…

Attachments

• 5D2212B8-8229-4734-B41C-FE738B0AC681.jpeg
    5D2212B8-8229-4734-B41C-FE738B0AC681.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 257
  • F8704D7B-F3ED-433F-BC66-22B8471F0565.jpeg
    F8704D7B-F3ED-433F-BC66-22B8471F0565.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 10A0CC94-A035-425B-BA4E-201FB2B63FA2.jpeg
    10A0CC94-A035-425B-BA4E-201FB2B63FA2.jpeg
    988.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 31FB2B49-9B33-403E-BC6F-EA83C059E474.png
    31FB2B49-9B33-403E-BC6F-EA83C059E474.png
    625.5 KB · Views: 261
Fished Sandheads one 11 pound spring = red immature doe, one 15 lb. marble buck almost mature spring. Both surprisingly on Boone pink/purple hoochies , 26 inch leaders, set up for chums on the top lines, behind, "guide special" flashers, ( so like 25 feet or less of water , 61-65 on rigger , 35 foot stacking spread) and lost 6+ unknown solid clip-popper hits some on bottom herring lines, , every time I slowed right down & sped up. Chum, Coho. more Springs? Who knows = never saw. My big for his age 9 year old grandson was watching the lines and he had problems with getting rods out of holders and a fast/good set ,and with keeping tension on with barbless hooks ( speaking of barbs wanted some for him this day, none on boat, Gamukatsu 4/5/0 barbless only, poor guy was getting frustrated, glad he managed to keep 2 on) . We both have colds ( up coughing at 1:40 AM writing this) but grandma wants fish for the smoker so we called it "the misery tour". Tried getting him to drive and he ran right into a commercial crab trap right away ( had to come to dead stop - to chop up, untangle, and retie all gear, snarled mess, he got to hear Grandpa swear a lot) and then soon after a small open cab black aluminum who we later watched have altercations with others for bad driving cut him off repeatedly no matter which way he turned - scaring him off driving job entirely. But was mostly flat beautiful day and 2 fish better than no fish. View attachment 70963
Well at least he's learning what it can be like out there at times. Hopefully he gets back on the horse. Love hearing these kind of stories.

The annual Cap fishery content is upon us. It is the same every year, so not interested in having a great debate in this thread about how stupid, moronic and downright nasty some people are that plow into this well known combat fishery. Report how the fishing was but leave the rest of the mayhem out of this thread as it simply derails it and won't change the behaviours of some of those that partake in this annual gong show.
As for the activity in the river, there is a Conservation forum you can search and find plenty of previous discussion on that topic as well.

Nothing for me either at SH, more fish are moving up river with all this rain. Boat maintenance time is on the horizon.
I concur, the reports of chins early this week in our salt river mouths brought a big push of whites on the Vedder
My nephew got this 28lb on Friday and about 6 others to hand but kept this clean beast
As for me time to remove the downriggers on my jet sled and bust out the fly rod and intercept this fish in the rivers

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1632547484226 (1).jpg
    FB_IMG_1632547484226 (1).jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 199
I concur, the reports of chins early this week in our salt river mouths brought a big push of whites on the Vedder
My nephew got this 28lb on Friday and about 6 others to hand but kept this clean beast
As for me time to remove the downriggers on my jet sled and bust out the fly rod and intercept this fish in the rivers
Wonder how many times that was released in tidal waters :D

Real time learning the ropes lol, love it
He did and agree, was good for him, , even if was a bit unpleasant - for it upset him seeing grandpa lose his temper ( had to tell him loved him and sorry for my cursing - wasn't him - was situation, he hasn't seen me mad much) ,and after seeing how much inconvenience it was to retie everything , lose bit of gear, and downtime from fishing, and make grandpa mad : yes it was all educational. Think he may have leant new a word or two as well. :) , my child aware PC filter full out failed - oops. .He will likely keep a sharper eye out in the future for trap buoys and give them a wide berth - I can only hope. And at least he ended up smiling when we got the fish, he reeled the smaller one in all by himself; I wouldn't let him hand the rod off when he said his arms were tired. . . So agree with your comment; is very how we learn the ropes A-a-Ron. And good luck out there.

He did and agree, was good for him, , even if was a bit unpleasant - for it upset him seeing grandpa lose his temper ( had to tell him loved him and sorry for my cursing - wasn't him - was situation, he hasn't seen me mad much) ,and after seeing how much inconvenience it was to retie everything , lose bit of gear, and downtime from fishing, and make grandpa mad : yes it was all educational. Think he may have leant new a word or two as well. :) , my child aware PC filter full out failed - oops. .He will likely keep a sharper eye out in the future for trap buoys and give them a wide berth - I can only hope. And at least he ended up smiling when we got the fish, he reeled the smaller one in all by himself; I wouldn't let him hand the rod off when he said his arms were tired. . . So agree with your comment; is very how we learn the ropes A-a-Ron. And good luck out there.

Just make sure the kid knows there are 2 types of fishermen in the waters; those who have snagged traps and those who soon will. Sometimes, lots of times in fact, there are a ton of traps on one line that's just below the surface. Plus the river vs tide and currents at the SH can push you faster than you suspect into those damn things.

Back