2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

looks like the seiners and gillneters are invading and mopping up all thats left at the SH next 3 days at least , bye bye !
You thought the Cap WAS a gong show befrore, hahaha

looks like the seiners and gillneters are invading and mopping up all thats left at the SH next 3 days at least , bye bye !
You thought the Cap WAS a gong show befrore, hahaha
I’m already dusting off my prawning and winter trolling gear. 2021 was a write-off in my books anyway. 15 days of cra**y fishing and the first major rain is coming in. Add the seiners to this mix and you better hit the rivers for some hike and cast workout.
Going to plan my next summer around this year’s closures and be done by end of August. Our local fishery has become a joke thanks to DFO’s management of resources- managing to zero it is!

I’m already dusting off my prawning and winter trolling gear. 2021 was a write-off in my books anyway. 15 days of cra**y fishing and the first major rain is coming in. Add the seiners to this mix and you better hit the rivers for some hike and cast workout.
Going to plan my next summer around this year’s closures and be done by end of August. Our local fishery has become a joke thanks to DFO’s management of resources- managing to zero it is!
Yup! Don’t forget to vote

Fished the high tide at the Cap today and had some gentle success both in the crowd and on the fringes – one coho and one chinook (marble – along with a two smaller chinooks released).

Saw quite a few nets out too. Bite was on from high tide at 1:30 for about an hour. Fish were pretty much on the bottom around 100'. Got the chinook on an anchovy, the coho on a hootchie.

Also wanted to mention that in the crowd everyone was pretty civil – a few rogues on the willy nilly tack (WTF?) but mostly orderly.

View attachment 70469

View attachment 70470
Very nice !
I was there yesterday as well, for the afternoon flood. Landed 1 spring , 2 Coho.
Also lost 1 spring. Snapped Leader : (
Yes, the fleet was quite orderly over all. Maybe because about half of the pack was guide boats ?
I counted 9 gradys.

Yup! Don’t forget to vote
Already did. Not putting a whole lot of hopes in any of the 4 “leaders” though. Gotta go somewhere else to find the fish. I’ve been involved in habitat protection and have spent a sh*tload of my personal time to volunteer at local hatcheries. This year’s closure and the run size was really a slap in the face. I had days in April and May that I caught 4-5 hatchery fish in an outing but then we know what was our share of the pie.

5 boats off the cap in the sweet 5' rollers. It is starting to lay down a tiny bit. Fish are here bit I'm staying away from the dirty ones our front of the mouth. Blah

ive caught fish up to oct 11th. lost a decent spring last year at exactly that time. right at sunset off ambleside I was fighting it. I pulled 90 degrees to the current to head out and avoid bottom. I lifted that side downrigger this fish planted itself under the boat I saw it briefly before that. It refused to move I knew if I muscled it it would likely break off. It then shot down towards the back of the boat over and across the opposite downrigger and snapped off.

So this year Ill keep wire cutters directly under that downrigger. switching to braid next year and ill keep a knife attached to the boat. if im fighting a decent fish and the downriggers dont cooperate im cutting it off screw the tackle.

Very nice !
I was there yesterday as well, for the afternoon flood. Landed 1 spring , 2 Coho.
Also lost 1 spring. Snapped Leader : (
Yes, the fleet was quite orderly over all. Maybe because about half of the pack was guide boats ?
I counted 9 gradys.
Saw you on the water and at Cates afterwards.I was on a Blue thunder craft and we launched out of cates as well. First boat there at 6:00 and probably last one off the water when the fog rolled in. 1 coho and 1 dirty pink to show for 10 hours of work. Forgot to ask how deep were you fishing? The previous outings we had success around 65’ on the DR in 130 FOW. Should have fished the bottom from what I gathered.

Wind has laid right down come and get em...I can't stick around but will be out tomorrow for further nautical abuse haha

Back