2021 Tuna Adventures

I got out for tuna from Ilwaco on Sat. July, 17th with a buddy. We got a dozen just beyond the 125 line and a little below 46 line. We were high boat for that day with even the charters coming back with a few to 6/boat. Same buddy got 6 more after limiting on salmon this past Sunday. The fish were closer in 124.6 or so. Lots of boats are getting decent numbers down by Ilwaco and Westport now. Should be good up north in another week or two. Just need a little more connection between the warm water further south and the small plume heading toward VI.

I have plans on trying to get out of Nootka Aug 9th -11th subject to wind and warm water being close enough. Will be staying at the Nootka Sound Resort on those dates. If anyone is planning on getting offshore for tuna around then, PM me and perhaps we can buddy boat out?

Also, as a bit of a tuna rookie (one charter out of Westport is my only experience), would love some of the more experienced members to suggest an ideal gear set up. I realize that everyone will have a different opinion but looking for a basic set up. I plan to run 6 lines (no outriggers). Suggested lures and colours? I have started to collect some tuna gear but want to know your ideal spread. Thanks.

I have plans on trying to get out of Nootka Aug 9th -11th subject to wind and warm water being close enough. Will be staying at the Nootka Sound Resort on those dates. If anyone is planning on getting offshore for tuna around then, PM me and perhaps we can buddy boat out?

Also, as a bit of a tuna rookie (one charter out of Westport is my only experience), would love some of the more experienced members to suggest an ideal gear set up. I realize that everyone will have a different opinion but looking for a basic set up. I plan to run 6 lines (no outriggers). Suggested lures and colours? I have started to collect some tuna gear but want to know your ideal spread. Thanks.
A few recommendations - albacore are not so large that they tear up gear like yellow fin. So for rods and reels you can get by with not so expensive stuff. Penn GT320 reels on Tiger ugly sticks will catch plenty of fish. Spooled with 65# braid is sufficient. For lures - there's a lot of options by my favorites are swim baits - especially the Savage gear sand eel lures in blue/silver - https://savagegear-americas.com/product/sandeel/. The great thing about swim baits is that they fish at low speeds as well as high. I troll them at 6-7kts but when I slow/stop to reel in fish, the remaining lures often get hit while I'm drifting. We've caught a ton of fish on these. I run about 6' of 40# fluoro on them to a swivel on the main line. Simple and efficient. Tuna clones in the standard Mexican flag color or purple/black/silver are great too. Finally a few standard cedar plugs should be part of the arsenal. There are many things that will work but few that will work more consistently or better than the above short list. If I didn't want to carry a ton of gear, I'd go with 6 of the Savage eel swim baits in 6" size, 6 Mexican flag clones, six purple/black/silver tuna clones and 2 cedar plugs. That's all you really need. If you want to add something, a set of purple splash birds would be good as are the purple X-raps.

IMGP0469.jpg

Planning on some tuna trips out of Nootka on Aug 22/23 & Sept 16-20.
weather permitting. E-mail me if you are planning on heading out on any of these dates. safety in numbers.! We monitor ch 88A on the vhf. Full crews on my boat, just looking for well prepared buddy boats.

cheers

offshorefishing@shaw.ca.
www.vancouverislandcharters.com

Attachments

• 086D4118-CA48-4996-9174-42CBF218503A.jpeg
    086D4118-CA48-4996-9174-42CBF218503A.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
best looking days for a while according to the long range forecast

Attachments

• C966B23C-2A96-4652-B88A-5F21B6F10736.png
    C966B23C-2A96-4652-B88A-5F21B6F10736.png
    162 KB · Views: 84
Looking for a buddy boat. Doing the Race for the Blue Sept 10 to 18th. First time going for tuna. Would like just having another around for added safety. 3025 King Fisher

Hello

I bought a big pile of fishing gear for a few pieces and going to sell what I don’t want to keep. The salmon gear I have an idea what it’s worth however this Tuna stuff not so much.

Not 100% sure I am going to sell it all but looking for an idea what I could get for it all.

None of it has ever seen the water.

Thanks

Attachments

• C6B8AEEB-BD70-4EB1-88E6-1102D7BA7D76.jpeg
    C6B8AEEB-BD70-4EB1-88E6-1102D7BA7D76.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 4A7AE011-45A3-4B09-975C-3B9A4DBC0E0D.jpeg
    4A7AE011-45A3-4B09-975C-3B9A4DBC0E0D.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 148
We are looking to head out for Tuna this week. weather looks good on wind alert starting Tuesday Aug 24. just wondering if anyone else is heading out at this time. Last time I was out was two years ago as I blew one of my motors and then having a baby boy last May put fishing on the back burners.
Usually I am talking to Thomas about tuna Intel and I am so saddened by his passing this last year. I knew Thomas for 25 years and he was a great friend both with fishing and as a fellow dentist. He started his fishing career in Northern Alberta as a lake guide and he flew his float plane into tough to get to lakes. When Thomas did something he did it to the max both in learned skills and effort. I am pissied that with Covid Thomas did not get a farewell as he so deserved. It is heart warming to see you guys dedicate the Tuna thread to him. Rob Wolanski

Last edited:
I spoke with Argo b and b and they said there were tuna brought in last week. their boat captain Jason is coming back on the 23. they have not seen any tuna brought in this last week but nobody went out the last few days due to weather. Terrafin shows the weather getting nice Tuesday afternoon and looking good to Friday but you now how this can change, Terrafin shows the warm water is a bit south in north Washington and north off of Kyukuot and starting to warm to Barkley Canyon. Wind flow is pushing south so might bring some of the warm water down from the north will watch and post as things develop

anyone have a line on a six rod rigging kits for outriggers? meaning 3 per side.

Back