2021 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Won’t be able to get out this weekend, hoping to take my ol man out next weekend. Probably search for some springs lings of Bjerre if the weather allows. Tight lines to all gettin out this weekend!

We are heading up to Pender Harbour area for some fishing next week. Would like to know if there are any good spots for clams and oyster digging near the PH area to keep the kids busy. Thanks.

Epsom.... buddies say hey why not book out... push off around 3:30? As mentioned prior 4:20 can raise suspicion... believe me not my crew they think 4:20 would be a good time to have a early morning pee. So... Epsom canyons/contours 3 under for practice then it came on! Only fish that are about to leave the slot need to apply! Check the pics how did we get 2 at this size and not go over! 165 on the twine in 145 feet one side higher on the other by 15feet, Large herring in teasers. Both buddies scored and I called the trip! Home, process and have some laughs. Good times.
Great report

We are heading up to Pender Harbour area for some fishing next week. Would like to know if there are any good spots for clams and oyster digging near the PH area to keep the kids busy. Thanks.
The very northernmost tip of South Thormanby has tiny back-to-back beaches in the reef itself that are unbelievably prolific. Rocky shelves both sides so it's hard to see unless you're exactly off the opening. Washes right through at high tide so it flushes out every day, never had a gastro problem in 30 years of taking shellfish from there. I know it's a bit of a run from Pender, but if you're thinking of fishing Bjerre or Epsom then it's close by. Go shortly after low slack and use the flooding tide to keep your boat off the gravel.

The very northernmost tip of South Thormanby has tiny back-to-back beaches in the reef itself that are unbelievably prolific. Rocky shelves both sides so it's hard to see unless you're exactly off the opening. Washes right through at high tide so it flushes out every day, never had a gastro problem in 30 years of taking shellfish from there. I know it's a bit of a run from Pender, but if you're thinking of fishing Bjerre or Epsom then it's close by. Go shortly after low slack and use the flooding tide to keep your boat off the gravel.

Thanks for the valuable information. I will be fishing off Point Upwood and Epsom Point. Will definitely take the kids there to get some shellfish. Tight lines.

Fished Epsom A half hour after the high slack on Thursday We hit a 13 lb chinook after trolling for only 10 minutes. Half an hour later a 14 lb. Green blue and silver spoons have been our top producer the last 3 weeks. White glow hoochie has also produced well. Last week we had to work a lot harder and longer to get 2 per day.

Late report, out Saturday for a quick trip as the wind fell. 2 Springs Epsom normal tack, large herring 130-165 on the twine. One ling added to the mix. My better photos no longer attach get "upload file is too large" so all I can offer for today. Good luck out there still lots going on!

Attachments

• IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 134
Got to Epsom around 630pm Friday night. The sounder was absolutely lit up, marked lots of fish. Didn't take long to get the first hit around 140ft dragging balls with 8" herring/teaser. Put a plug down to make life easy and that started to outfish the bait. The bite was solid from 630 until dark. Ended up with a 77cm and a barely legal fish that was bleeding.

FIsh Anderson, it was slow so headed to Sangster but the tide wasn't ideal. lots of bait it probably turned on later. Only managed one 10lber, which was a long line released using jigs. After some beach time, ran back to Epsom while i waited for the flood tide and it was slowww. Started to turn on around 6pm again, nailed a 70cm fish on a flasher and pesca spoon. Then an 80cm fish on large herring which I stubbornly fished the entire trip knowing bigger fish like bigger baits :p That was a fantastic battle on MR2 and technium 2 power. Really enjoyed having the appropriate rod for the size of fish.

The 3 larger fish were all mature and marble 2 doe's and 1 buck. One was hatchery marked. Lots of feed and lots of life what an awesome spot!

How is the action lately? It's been a couple of weeks since we could get up the coast.
Fished the E side of Epsom yesterday from 9:30-12:30, through the slack low tide, and had lots of undersized chinook (6 or 7 to the boat). Seems like these are the resident fish and the migratory fish may be more scarce. We mostly trolled and jigged at the end.

Did pull up a nice Ling on last retrieval so had something to show back at the fish board. A few other boats out jigging didn’t seems to be landing any fish.

I'm bringing my boat back from WCVI after a family trip Aug 27- S 2.
Our next road trip is to Redroofs Rd on the Sechelt Pen. Sept 14-17.
Should I be planning to bring the boat?
I'll be tagged out on springs, but I have a friend who lives there now and would like to get out.
Prawns maybe? Is Coopers Green Launch the one I want to use?

Last edited:
Our next road trip is to Redroofs Rd on the Sechelt.
I'll be tagged out on springs, but I have a friend who lives there now and would like to get out.
Coopers is right there but is a high tide only spot. If the pavement ends dont even attempt it. Seen a lifted 4x4 dodge have to get daisy chained out last year. Sunk his diff right down in the pea gravel and was a goner in the rising tides in minuets. So be aware. Fishing is right off the bat when you launch at coopers where as Madiera park and porpoise bay both have good solid “all tide” ramps, but can be slippery, that usually require a bit pf a putt put to get to the “grounds” Fishing usually slows down in August but theyre still out there and lots of feeders to go find and pinks and cohos to go find. Good luck

If you really want to get the boat in the water and it's too low for Coopers Green, Buccaneer Marina in Secret Cove is workable down to about 3 ft tide. Narrow ramp between rocks but paved way down and well sheltered from wind and current. 15-20 minutes back to Halfmoon.

Our next road trip is to Redroofs Rd on the Sechelt Pen. Sept 14-17.
Cant beat Coopers for location since staying on Redrooffs, careful on the road, bikes, cats dogs, deer, an old guy walking noon everyday to coopers (Me) . Watch the tide and you are good to go. If you do not have access to a mooring buoy and have to come in and out you can always squeeze out a bit of "waiting for tide time" at the Halfmoon bay dock located the foot of O'Brian RD. Or quest at one of our local marinas. Attached a pic of Epsom last night as I past on the way back from Ukee (Post to Ukee/Barkly thread once I can walk on land again) Good luck on your trip.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Cant beat Coopers for location since staying on Redrooffs, careful on the road, bikes, cats dogs, deer, an old guy walking noon everyday to coopers (Me) . Watch the tide and you are good to go. If you do not have access to a mooring buoy and have to come in and out you can always squeeze out a bit of "waiting for tide time" at the Halfmoon bay dock located the foot of O'Brian RD. Or quest at one of our local marinas. Attached a pic of Epsom last night as I past on the way back from Ukee (Post to Ukee/Barkly thread once I can walk on land again) Good luck on your trip.
Thank you. Since the dates are mid Sept, and I don't need to get up at dawn to target springs necessarily, I'll check the tides and fish around around the highs.
Are there prawns in the prawny looking chart spots?
Did you boat to WCVI? Looking forward to reading that.

Back