2021 Port Renfrew Reports

Gateway is the one rumoured to be sold to the Band, fairly reliable source, 100% sure it’s not PRM I just talk to the big guy this morning lol,. Taking control of operation after the season. Crabs are around so are the slinky’s not too sure about the salmon, will know more in the next few days
That’s what I heard, along with the guide boats getting the boot?! That doesn’t make sense to me.

Gateway is the one rumoured to be sold to the Band, fairly reliable source, 100% sure it’s not PRM I just talk to the big guy this morning lol,. Taking control of operation after the season. Crabs are around so are the slinky’s not too sure about the salmon, will know more in the next few days

Wow if Mill Bay is selling that tells you something. They don't see a future in it.

Doesn’t surprise me at all. I’ve been going to Port Renfrew for years and saw how they built the motels and then the lots above the Marina and always wondered how it all works.
I guess big companies can play anywhere but eventually they need to turn a profit.

Doesn’t surprise me at all. I’ve been going to Port Renfrew for years and saw how they built the motels and then the lots above the Marina and always wondered how it all works.
I guess big companies can play anywhere but eventually they need to turn a profit.
Ya the gossip is they wanted to expand, condos, hotel and all that with sting opposition from the band, so might as well sell it

Have many people been fishing lately? Wondering how its been. Coming up July 1st for the month can't wait to get up there!
No fishing up here lol. It’s not crowded and there a few fish around, Hali is good, not to much effort put in to the catch and release but the ones that are, are getting fish, update guides are getting salmon in 21, most are feeder size 6-12 lbs

Last edited:
No fishing up here lol. It’s not crowded and there a few fish around, Hali is good, not to much effort put in to the catch and release but the ones that are, are getting fis
Thats my favorite time when there's no boats lol we will be hitting camper once we're there only looking for a big one anyways so I don't mind letting them go!

And all the sportys and guides are probably getting the boot. Just a sign of things to come
Ya well this town becomes a ghost town, without us and the guides, I am here now been here for 5 days, can’t even remember the last time I seen this town dead like this. Hope this doom and gloomed is all paranoia it would really suck

Ya well this town becomes a ghost town, without us and the guides, I am here now been here for 5 days, can’t even remember the last time I seen this town dead like this. Hope this doom and gloomed is all paranoia it would really suck

I think there is huge pent up demand from US fishers. enjoy the serenity while it lasts lol

Hey everyone, Looking to get the kids out on the boat again this weekend and was thinking of exploring some new area. We live in Lake Cowichan so Renfrew isn't that far of a drive...

Now when I say exploring new area, I really mean, Just dabbling around in/near the bay, as my confidence isn't the greatest heading out to the open water just yet...
(I've been spending time on the inside, out of Crofton, Polier, Tent, etc.. and I've been to Swiftsure on other guys boats and charters, but not my own)

Basically looking to drop some crab traps, check out some new scenery and maybe let the kids fish for bottomfish if there's any decent spots in or around the bay?

Any recent reports for a guy who's not looking to have to head out too far would be appreciated...

Thanks.

Rob.

Hey everyone, Looking to get the kids out on the boat again this weekend and was thinking of exploring some new area. We live in Lake Cowichan so Renfrew isn't that far of a drive...

Now when I say exploring new area, I really mean, Just dabbling around in/near the bay, as my confidence isn't the greatest heading out to the open water just yet...
(I've been spending time on the inside, out of Crofton, Polier, Tent, etc.. and I've been to Swiftsure on other guys boats and charters, but not my own)

Basically looking to drop some crab traps, check out some new scenery and maybe let the kids fish for bottomfish if there's any decent spots in or around the bay?

Any recent reports for a guy who's not looking to have to head out too far would be appreciated...

Thanks.

Rob.
Lots of crabs, bottom fish are easy to catch just around east point just east of the point, fish the rocky area where the kelp is, lots and lots of black cod

Thanks..

Sent you a Private message as well Brutus

I’m on the ferry now and will be there till August. I’ll be fishing in the morning I’m sure. I’ll let you know how it is. Brutus gave you some good intel without travelling far. Keep in mind that the inside of the bay is the roughest spot most days once the afternoon blow starts.

At the ferry too, be there till Sunday, it’s been over 5 years since I have done a long weekend, hope I don’t regret it lol.

I’m on the ferry now and will be there till August. I’ll be fishing in the morning I’m sure. I’ll let you know how it is. Brutus gave you some good intel without travelling far. Keep in mind that the inside of the bay is the roughest spot most days once the afternoon blow starts.
Wind seam to blow everyday in the afternoon this year so far, does not matter where you fish, get her done in the Am and off the water early afternoon if you don’t want to get blown around

Back