2021 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Hi Everyone,
I'm heading out to Port this weekend and I was just wondering if any of you can give me an update on what has been working for bait and how many feet have you been having luck at? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Black hooks has worked yesterday and this morning, 3 in a row on that one rod, both days. 45-55’. Pink and black, pink and blue. If leaving from China creek, drop your lines as soon as you leave the marina.

Can anyone please tell me what the limit is for the sockeye this year ? Is it 2 per license 0r 4 now? Thanx ..... C.A.

4 a day

Half the size, and ALMOST as good to eat.
I fished early Thursday morning on my way to Ucluelet. When I got to Island West I put my 4 dressed and headed sox in their freezer. Wrapped in thermal clothes and buried in fresh salt ice, they made it home through the heat still rock solid.
This morning I cleavered off the tails and vac sealed the whole fish. Out of curiosity I weighed each one and they all were between 4lbs 3oz and 4 lbs 5oz. That's bigger than I remember, plus they are bright, not grey and slimy like the late summer Fraser fish.
A Fraser fish caught farther North or West is my favourite table fare.

Attachments

• dummies.jpg
    dummies.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I fished early Thursday morning on my way to Ucluelet. When I got to Island West I put my 4 dressed and headed sox in their freezer. Wrapped in thermal clothes and buried in fresh salt ice, they made it home through the heat still rock solid.
This morning I cleavered off the tails and vac sealed the whole fish. Out of curiosity I weighed each one and they all were between 4lbs 3oz and 4 lbs 5oz. That's bigger than I remember, plus they are bright, not grey and slimy like the late summer Fraser fish.
A Fraser fish caught farther North or West is my favourite table fare.
nice sockeye

Is the sockeye fishery mainly an early morning fishery, or can you get into them all day long? I'm going to Bamfield next week and wonder if it;s worth it to stop for some sockeye on the way through.

Sorry for the newbie question. When do the fish typically stop coming up the inlet?

Sorry for the newbie question. When do the fish typically stop coming up the inlet?
After the gillnets have a go at them...then the seines are in this Sunday starting at 10am.
A buddy said last Monday there was about 20 boats in the river netting. It's a wonder there is anything left.

Fished the night bite thursday night. Went 3 for 6. Hot rig was the two black hooks at 64 feet. Good bite just before dark near china creek.

Went out earlyish Thursday for the morning bite. Went 6 for 8 in the first hour, then slowed and lost the next three. Our success ratio taking a hammering.

I keep commenting on size of fish because it is a curiosity of mine. These are much bigger than the last two years, more like I remember from 25 years ago. The Fraser has many different runs come through going to different spawning grounds, are there multiple runs here? They all go to the same spawning ground don’t they? Are different runs the reason for size variability?

Attachments

• D1CC5D50-14D8-4A1A-87C4-87DD4B91A26A.jpeg
    D1CC5D50-14D8-4A1A-87C4-87DD4B91A26A.jpeg
    760 KB · Views: 120
Back