2021 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Black Single hooks ( 5 or even 6's if ya got them)
29 inch leader from flasher to hook
Slow 1.9 (at 2.3 your too fast)
I use a 24 inch leader with tandem #4 hooks. Seems to work ok. I’ll try longer leaders with single 5 or 6 hooks. For speed, I assume 1.9 is kilometres per hour and I assume water speed not speed over ground. How do you measure water speed? I usually just judge the sway of the downrigger cable, not too much and not too little.

2 weeks ago I was talking to a gill netter around San Mateo, he said he was fishing for the Kyuquot band to get their sockeye. Where are those numbers in the total catch ? Pretty low escapement since this is the peak of the run right now. It used to be over a milliion fish.

hello friends,
can anyone share rugh schedule on what fish runs on Alberni Inlet in July, Aug, Sept?

for example now is Sockeye run, right? how long will it continue
after Sockeye should we expect Chinook running up Inlet to let's say China Creek area?

I use a 24 inch leader with tandem #4 hooks. Seems to work ok. I’ll try longer leaders with single 5 or 6 hooks. For speed, I assume 1.9 is kilometres per hour and I assume water speed not speed over ground. How do you measure water speed? I usually just judge the sway of the downrigger cable, not too much and not too little.
Bang on , tough to really measure speed but it gives you somewhat of a reference. Same as you it's the angle of the down rigger wire (braid) Im really relying on. but I know one thing if the down rigger line angle is to the bow and 1.9 on your fish finder, it's time to give it a bit of gas lol.

I posted this under Bamfield but perhaps I should’ve posited here.
Heading to Port Alberni with the family next week. Taking the boat and the trailer staying at China Creek campground. Never fished there so all quite new to me. Has anyone stayed at China Creek campground and if so, is it a decent place for the family to camp there? Also, I understand people are doing ok catching Sockeye and that's what I'm mainly targeting for but for chinook and coho, I understand I need to go to Bamfield. How long is the boat ride from China Creek to Bamfield? My boat is only 22' with 200 HP on the back, is it safe to go that distance for a day and back to the campground? I really appreciate any info to help me making the wife and daughters happy while camping and fishing there.

I used to go from China Creek to offshore all the time in an 18 Double Eagle. Usually windy and following seas on return.

Heading to Port Alberni with the family next week. Taking the boat and the trailer staying at China Creek campground. Never fished there so all quite new to me. Has anyone stayed at China Creek campground and if so, is it a decent place for the family to camp there? Also, I understand people are doing ok catching Sockeye and that's what I'm mainly targeting for but for chinook and coho, I understand I need to go to Bamfield. How long is the boat ride from China Creek to Bamfield? My boat is only 22' with 200 HP on the back, is it safe to go that distance for a day and back to the campground? I really appreciate any info to help me making the wife and daughters happy while camping and fishing there.
No problem

China Creek is great, playgrounds, bike paths, sight seeing, good washroom and shower facilities , good fish cleaning station and kids fish for bull heads off the docks. Only thing no eating or snack bar, your on your own for food, freezing but that can be picked up in port before.
I have a 22ft Striper with a 200 and it's a early morning run to Bamfield, no problems. But if its an inflow blow, stay local IMHO.
You can never really tell how it is in Bamfield unless you have some one to ask. But just dont take a chance with the inflow waves. I've done it many times but I know the waters quite well and would NEVER recommend it. Usually you'll get a nice tail waive all back to China Creek.
You can maybe call seabeam before you head out and ask if they have any info on the local winds. If not, with calm water in the canal and good weather reports on the numerous web sites its beautiful trip, oh ya keep a keen eye for wood, especially if ya see a red or orange stick , sticking out of the water ...its nailed into a deadhead and be careful.
If you talk to the guys at the dock, maybe find a buddy with another boat to buddy up on the way out , guys are great there.
All common scents stuff, been doing it for 40 years and always impressed by its wonder !!
Tight Lines, hope this helps
S-V II
PS the gravel ride can be terrible from Port to China Creek, keep your hibeams on , take your time and give the log trucks lots of room. Its 20-30 min usually with a boat, slow caution will get ya there
Sorry Guys ...back to fishing reports

Last edited:
China Creek is great, playgrounds, bike paths, sight seeing, kids fish for bull heads off the docks. Only thing no eating or snack bar, your on your own for food, freezing but that can be picked up in port before.
I have a 22ft Striper with a 200 and it's a early morning run to Bamfield, no problems. But if its an inflow blow, stay local IMHO.
You can never really tell how it is in Bamfield unless you have some one to ask. But just dont take a chance with the inflow waves. I've done it many times but I know the waters quite well and would NEVER recommend it. Usually you'll get a nice tail waive all back to China Creek.
You can maybe call seabeam before you head out and ask if they have any info on the local winds. If not, with calm water in the canal and good weather reports on the numerous web sites its beautiful trip, oh ya keep a keen eye for wood, especially if ya see a red or orange stick , sticking out of the water ...its nailed into a deadhead and be careful.
If you talk to the guys fishing, is to maybe buddy up with another boat , guys are great there.
All common scents stuff, been doing it for 40 years and never unimpressed by its wonder !!
Tight Lines, hope this helps
S-V II
PS the gravel ride can be terrible from Port to China Creek, keep your hibeams on , take your time and give the log trucks lots of room. Its 20-30 min usually with a boat, slow caution will get ya ther

2 weeks ago I was talking to a gill netter around San Mateo, he said he was fishing for the Kyuquot band to get their sockeye. Where are those numbers in the total catch ? Pretty low escapement since this is the peak of the run right now. It used to be over a milliion fish.

Not much action on the cams and the escapement seems to be lagging.

I just tried to book China Cr. They asked for insurance on boat, I've been going there for years
and they never asked before. I struck a log out there three years ago with limited damage and
a claim. Now they won't insure me.:(

I just tried to book China Cr. They asked for insurance on boat, I've been going there for years
and they never asked before. I struck a log out there three years ago with limited damage and
a claim. Now they won't insure me.:(
We’ve had to sign a waiver if we couldn’t prove insurance upon arrival. This has been going on for 5 years that I remember.

Can you get liability insurance? To lose your boat and gear is one thing, but to maim someone and pay for the rest of your life is another.

Can you get liability insurance?
I tried, but they said there is only comprehensive coverage. They didn't like that the minor, Aka "bent Transum"
has not been repaired. I'm going to try again with a zero value on my boat, all I want is the liability coverage. Fingers crossed!

I tried, but they said there is only comprehensive coverage. They didn't like that the minor, Aka "bent Transum"
has not been repaired. I'm going to try again with a zero value on my boat, all I want is the liability coverage. Fingers crossed!
Your insurance company sucks,a friend of mine been fishing the inlet for 30 years, multiple claims, hitting logs, fishing nets, taking water you name it he’s claimed it, still get insurance no problem

Back