2021 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Another great morning out of china creek, tried the 29 inch leader and it worked. Best rig was still double black hooks/24 inch at 65 feet, pink and blue was working good also (28 inch). Had our 8 by 8:30 and lost a bunch. Get out there while it's good.

Another great morning out of china creek, tried the 29 inch leader and it worked. Best rig was still double black hooks/24 inch at 65 feet, pink and blue was working good also (28 inch). Had our 8 by 8:30 and lost a bunch. Get out there while it's good.
Agreed!
In our short stint before leaving this morning, there was plenty of action to be had. 24” leaders and regular bubblegum hootchies worked the best for us. Today seemed a bit shallower (45-55) instead of mostly deeper the two days prior.

saw Shep’s Ship parked at CC - thing looks legendary and the reports follow suit!

Thanks Banger, been a lot of work bringing her back to top form but totally worth it. Luckiest boat I've ever had. (A 20 season tutelage from shep didn't hurt either)
Tight lines. Shayne

Went 5 for 7 plus released a small one this morning. Strong wind made it fun trying to keep the boat straight in the head wind.

Caught the first 3 sockeye with a 29 in leader before 7:30am. Pink blue skirt with black hook. When the bite stopped, we switched to 24 in leader and caught two more at around 8:30am. Depth between 45 and 65.

On 2 occasions, the sonar filled up with scattered fish throughout the water column from 100 to 250. We were wondering if they were cohos.
Any opinion?

Opinion? Yeah, good on you for toughing it out in bad conditions. We had lines in the water by 6:30 and bailed by 7:00. Too little control in those winds.

Went 5 for 7 plus released a small one this morning. Strong wind made it fun trying to keep the boat straight in the head wind.

Caught the first 3 sockeye with a 29 in leader before 7:30am. Pink blue skirt with black hook. When the bite stopped, we switched to 24 in leader and caught two more at around 8:30am. Depth between 45 and 65.

On 2 occasions, the sonar filled up with scattered fish throughout the water column from 100 to 250. We were wondering if they were cohos.
Any opinion?
could be springs that seems pretty deep for coho coho r usally the deepst holding at 70 feet up to the surface

Anyone ever anchored up for the night close to China creek like in the bay just past it or macktush bay? Thinking to run out Thursday early evening anchor fir the night and try sockeye in the morning

Anyone ever anchored up for the night close to China creek like in the bay just past it or macktush bay? Thinking to run out Thursday early evening anchor fir the night and try sockeye in the morning
There's not much shelter from the thermal winds in the inlet. Some limited shelter can be found just past (south) Mactush, some better shelter further south in Hook Bay, or the best shelter in Nahmint Bay

There's not much shelter from the thermal winds in the inlet. Some limited shelter can be found just past (south) Mactush, some better shelter further south in Hook Bay, or the best shelter in Nahmint Bay
Thanks for that, you know if sockeye fishing is productive off nahmint right now or they mostly stacked up further into the inlet, I know there would still be some passing through all over

Went 4 for about 10 or 12 today. No real mistakes just couldn't get them to stick even with new, sharp hooks. 22" leader.

Sorry for a dumb question. I keep hearing black hook or double black hook. Are we talking about an actual black hook attached to a hootchie or the hootchie is black? I've rigged for Sockeye before but want to make sure I have the right setup when fishing there next week.

Sorry for a dumb question. I keep hearing black hook or double black hook. Are we talking about an actual black hook attached to a hootchie or the hootchie is black? I've rigged for Sockeye before but want to make sure I have the right setup when fishing there next week.

Try this

Try this
Some times just black hooks , that’s it just the hook

Try this
with this

2 black hooks tied close together, usually i use 2/0 or 3/0 gamakatsu. This year i tried one black and one pink hook and it's working good also.

2 black hooks tied close together, usually i use 2/0 or 3/0 gamakatsu. This year i tried one black and one pink hook and it's working good also. Use 40 lbs. Test on your leader to get the right action from the flasher P.S. just tied this up and i intend to pinch those barbs!

Attachments

• 20210708_174036.jpg
    20210708_174036.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 134
Back