how did you do prawning?
Only had four prawns in the trap on my waypoint that was productive for me last summer. It makes me wonder if I wasn't tampered with but I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt one time.

On a brighter note, I had dropped a trap off on a new spot (for me) on the inside on the way out from Ladysmith and I had a couple dozen good ones in that trap.

I put 4 traps out today and got 6 Prawns and bait holders full of small beige critters that looked like Prawn food,
if there where any Prawns around. Island Fisherman mag. sugested that Prawns drop off during herring spawn. Has anyone
noticed a drop off of Prawns this time of year, or is it just time for a new location for my traps?

Sweetheart was working so I went out prawning and crabing again yesterday.
Successful on prawns, no crabs.
I like these Bauer traps (not affiliated with) over my old ring style traps. I find them very easy/simple to fish with.
No small or egg bearing prawns so far.
Tried a bit of jigging for a greenling but nothing.

Attachments

• received_770869086967619.jpeg
    received_770869086967619.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 264
  • received_281737773391622.jpeg
    received_281737773391622.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 245
  • received_276396087442235.jpeg
    received_276396087442235.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 255
I like these Bauer traps (not affiliated with) over my old ring style traps. I find them very easy/simple to fish with.
My buddy did a non-scientific experiment over a few weeks last year and says they out produce the other ones by almost 1.5 to 1

I don't know where he sets though, cause I've never caught many 0.5 ones...

Anyone having luck traping prawns? I had some luck at 400 earlier but not now, I saw some
sets at 300. Any depth info. would be appriciated.

Last thursday and Friday, many nice 5-8 pounders caught and released. All in good manner. Few prawns enough for a few person fry up. Amazing weather.
Lets hope we get to keep some hatchery fish soon. As most hatchery heads ive returned are puget sound at this time.

Last thursday and Friday, many nice 5-8 pounders caught and released. All in good manner. Few prawns enough for a few person fry up. Amazing weather.
Lets hope we get to keep some hatchery fish soon. As most hatchery heads ive returned are puget sound at this time.
Similar results for us at spoil grounds. Primo conditions, only
Boat out there and tons of fun catch and releasing. Thankfully our freezer still has 30+lbs from last season so catch and release makes for a nice stress free evening on the water.

Got out this evening with my son for a couple hours. Fished off the fingers. Epic evening out there. 3 to the boat. 2 wild sized keepers and one just under. Couple of hits that didn’t stick. Beautiful sunny evening and flat calm.
To finish the evening off saw a large pod of Killer Whales. First time ever seeing them off Nanaimo.

No bananas spoon round 140’ received all the action.

Attachments

• C39F217F-E34C-4B52-B0E4-3146BFD86A54.jpeg
    C39F217F-E34C-4B52-B0E4-3146BFD86A54.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 282
  • FADEBBD6-EC20-4DBF-B641-F232C36872AC.jpeg
    FADEBBD6-EC20-4DBF-B641-F232C36872AC.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 5CF3E1BA-3A93-456F-A0E4-E3F6972B1284.jpeg
    5CF3E1BA-3A93-456F-A0E4-E3F6972B1284.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 275
Thinking of fishing the Nanaimo area for may long weekend, any pointers? Never fished the area. I’ve heard of the fingers, good spot for the timing? How deep of water and how deep should the riggers be? Thanks!

Thinking of fishing the Nanaimo area for may long weekend, any pointers? Never fished the area. I’ve heard of the fingers, good spot for the timing? How deep of water and how deep should the riggers be? Thanks!
I haven't been out yet this year but typically May is good in the area. If it were me, and perhaps it will be, I would fish about a half mile off the fingers in the deeper water trolling as far as Rocky Point and back. Have had great success in that area over the years. If it is a nice day you will see lots of other boats in that area. You may have to drop your riggers down to 220 or so however. Good luck.

Here’s where I would fish and hope to next weekend. Would set one rigger to 140’ cause that’s what worked this week. Maybe one deeper. I tend to fish tighter to shore. I fish with spoons a lot around 3-4” long DADF0AD1-8B9A-45A2-AD11-6DBE2A469349.jpeg

Stopped in at Thrasher for a bit this afternoon, lots of undersized lings, (while I was putting my tub back together they got cleaned out lol.)
I did see 1 fellow taking a pic of his sweetheart holding up a nice ling, hope it was a keeper for them. Good luck out there this weekend

Got out today with the family for a couple hours around noon. Another epic trip. Little lumpy but forced the family to stay out and it paid off.
4 fish to the boat within the first hour.

Then my wife sees a massive splash in the distance. We pull up the gear to go look and behold it turned into a humpback whale show. Just truly amazing. Couple huge jumps and then some close ups. We hung around for an hour or so. Whale was still there when we left.

Was fishing between pipers lagoon and the fingers. No Bananas spoon again and a beat up green and silver spoon was the hot ticket. 120’ and 140’ on the riggers

Very blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the world. Even if our government is crapping the bed.
1A449E6C-6A0B-4778-ACF2-F229FB087A86.png8ED51F94-5B35-4CC8-A5A9-93C69D937582.jpegFC988D48-2177-41CD-8866-1A5F19122E86.png

Got out today with the family for a couple hours around noon. Another epic trip. Little lumpy but forced the family to stay out and it paid off.

Then my wife sees a massive splash in the distance. We pull up the gear to go look and behold it turned into a humpback whale show. Just truly amazing. Couple huge jumps and then some close ups. We hung around for an hour or so. Whale was still there when we left.

Was fishing between pipers lagoon and the fingers. No Bananas spoon again and a beat up green and silver spoon was the hot ticket. 120’ and 140’ on the riggers

Very blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the world. Even if our government is crapping the bed.
View attachment 66015View attachment 66016View attachment 66017
sweet day!

Great day indeed! You just have to swap your flashers with the no bananas spoon and you have my hot ticket. On Friday my wife and I did one pass at the Grande and one pass at Entrance for a little over an hour total and got 6 to the boat with just one rod out. Two under sized and four keeper sized springs. The biggest were preteens and of course half of them were hatchery fish.

Back