Got out today with the family for a couple hours around noon. Another epic trip. Little lumpy but forced the family to stay out and it paid off.
4 fish to the boat within the first hour.

Then my wife sees a massive splash in the distance. We pull up the gear to go look and behold it turned into a humpback whale show. Just truly amazing. Couple huge jumps and then some close ups. We hung around for an hour or so. Whale was still there when we left.

Was fishing between pipers lagoon and the fingers. No Bananas spoon again and a beat up green and silver spoon was the hot ticket. 120’ and 140’ on the riggers

Very blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the world. Even if our government is crapping the bed.
View attachment 66015View attachment 66016View attachment 66017
They are a lot closer than it looks in the pics right? I got one but it's a vid

Went out yesterday late afternoon with the family for not even a couple hours. What another amazing time out there. Beautiful sun and the wind was dropping.
Fishing was lights out again. Had 4 to the boat, couple of those 10-12lbs. Lost an epic double header near the boat. Mine looked around 15lbs and my daughter playing the other one didn’t get too close to the boat but was jumping and looked bigger. Plus we had a few big hits and long line releases. Seemed the lines were only in the water for 15mins before something happened.
Same gear and depth as my last post. Poor spoon keeps losing paint. Now it’s almost all chrome. Fished tight to the fingers (main island)

Can’t wait for coho to open June 1st (hopefully). Now just need to learn how to catch them

Last edited:
Went out yesterday late afternoon with the family for not even a couple hours. What another amazing time out there. Beautiful sun and the wind was dropping.
Fishing was lights out again. Had 4 to the boat, couple of those 10-12lbs. Lost an epic double header near the boat. Mine looked around 15lbs and my daughter playing the other one didn’t get too close to the boat but was jumping and looked bigger. Plus we had a few big hits and long line releases. Seemed the lines were only in the water for 15mins before something happened.
Same gear and depth as my last post. Poor spoon keeps losing paint. Now it’s almost all chrome. Fished tight to the fingers (main island)

Can’t wait for coho to open June 1st (hopefully). Now just need to learn how to catch them
What a great family time

Anyone have any luck or tips for early June coho fishing around Nanaimo?
Hoping to get out soon with this nice weather.
While it may be a little early for Cohos, I usually fish very shallow when targeting cohos

Went out again this evening for couple hrs. Fishing is hot. 4 keepers that were released, half were wild. Two of those in the mid teens. Few pin poppers that I lost. Fished close to the fingers. Same depths 120’ and 140’ on riggers. Poor chipped spoon is lighting it up.
Tried out in deep water to find coho but none. Just a few of undersized springs. Had riggers at 80’ and 100’. Maybe try shallower next time.
E9FF7CEE-A5C0-47F5-A778-25CE560AEA92.jpeg853D07A0-B802-4271-9BC7-B7AB4B32FA76.jpeg

Anyone have any luck or tips for early June coho fishing around Nanaimo?
Hoping to get out soon with this nice weather.
It’s usually they are around or not type of deal in this area. If they are around you can usually find them at the same depths and areas as when fishing for chins. I was getting coho at 250’ down last few years but also at like 40’. If they are around and I’m targeting them I usually stay in a bit deeper water 200+ and a bit further out.

Entrance was good on Tuesday as well. One pass with one rod and a couple of nice springs to the boat. Best one was high teens and he took a really long run before I could turn him. The purple Loony Spoon got the job done this time.
Epic day out there that included calm seas, humpback whales, one tasty ling cod and just enough prawns to make dropping the pot worthwhile.

Attachments

• D1117CA0-6EDA-4051-9A38-1F52A35D550C.jpeg
    D1117CA0-6EDA-4051-9A38-1F52A35D550C.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 191
  • FD54ECF0-57A0-4C14-AE46-4E882DAC9058.jpeg
    FD54ECF0-57A0-4C14-AE46-4E882DAC9058.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 167
Morning Guys,

Hoping to get out with my father on the weekend in our new to us 2006 Trophy.... First official solo trip out (After our sea trial and marine survey) so don't want to stray too far as we're still learning the boat, but willing to poke around a bit...

Just wondering if anyone's had any action within a reasonable travel time from the Crofton boat launch?

Thanks...

Rob.

Morning Guys,

Hoping to get out with my father on the weekend in our new to us 2006 Trophy.... First official solo trip out (After our sea trial and marine survey) so don't want to stray too far as we're still learning the boat, but willing to poke around a bit...

Just wondering if anyone's had any action within a reasonable travel time from the Crofton boat launch?

Thanks...

Rob.
You could try Tent Island. Porlier Pass should be hot right now. You can't keep any springs, but you probably already know that.

You could try Tent Island. Porlier Pass should be hot right now. You can't keep any springs, but you probably already know that.

Thanks... Appreciate the advice... I have spent a bit of time around Tent in my 19ft so Im comfortable there...

And yes, No problem with C&R ... Mainly just a outing to get used to the boat... lol

Reading the regs, hopefully I am correct understanding that Hatchery COHO over 30cm are keep-able... ? If there is any around...
(Or am I reading this wrong? Still very new to Saltwater Regulations and updates)

Thanks...

Thanks... Appreciate the advice... I have spent a bit of time around Tent in my 19ft so Im comfortable there...

And yes, No problem with C&R ... Mainly just a outing to get used to the boat... lol

Reading the regs, hopefully I am correct understanding that Hatchery COHO over 30cm are keep-able... ? If there is any around...
(Or am I reading this wrong? Still very new to Saltwater Regulations and updates)

Thanks...
Hatchery coho are open, at 30 cm they are hardly worth keeping, in September/ October, they will be larger and way more fun to catch.

Nice "Pink" bite this afternoon at the outer Finger. Chrome Coyote spoons 90 and 120 feet

Back