June 2019 was when I was there. Easily the best fishing experience I’ve ever had. What a set up and outstanding location. Harvey the lunker dog was our guide - let us just fish and run the show while he drove and just took it easy! Pretty cool to see George is a very hard working hands on owner...hope to go there again some day.
"Lunker Dog" is great. I partnered with him a lot in the 2 years I was up there.

Yes I hope its true as well. Really no reason to object to people coming in as the north coast band were all offered vaccines long before the general public and most people traveling will have at least one shot.
Unless this is really not about Covid?

Unless this is really not about Covid?

it absolutely is not about COVID.
So I wonder the status of my 2 week accomadation reservation for late July/early August this summer.
Will be interesting to see if they open this season.

So I wonder the status of my 2 week accomadation reservation for late July/early August this summer.
Will be interesting to see if they open this season.
Man it never ends.... now I hear that the BC FN are trying to stop guys at the dock. FFS. I am going to BS that I am going out for work and going for it anyway. Wish me luck

I have 8 days booked at shearwater. It isn't looking very promising to me....

Backup plan is to camp in Cultus sound for 5-7 days days on the boat.
Now I hear the FN are harassing and intimidating sport fishermen trying to launch in Bella Coola.And not a rumour Admin right from harbour authority.

Good luck in Bella bella .....mark my words they will not be allowing anyone in their territory this season....good luck to KPL

We are planning to boat up from Port Hardy to Hakai and Shearwater around 15-30 July. Stay on the boat a few nights at Hakai and also stay with a friend on Denny Island. Our 3rd trip up that way. With Bonnie opening up all of bc to bc residents June 15 we should be good I hope.
Last year we supplied an isolation plan and got permission from the Heiltsuk nation to stay on Denny island early July. Our host had to isolate for 14days after we left also. Shortly after we got home no more visitors were allowed. Fair enough last year.

Cant wait for this year, looks like it will be another quiet year up there. Feel bad for the lodges. Fishing Barney point, the gap, cultus on a flood tide and Cheney and not another boat in sight...it’s weird. Closer to Shearwater just us and some FN boats.

We are going 10 days later this year. If you are heading up that way same time give us a shout.
974EFE2E-F7B2-4816-95DF-C3C78309C04F.jpeg

Was up there last year from June15-July 10th. We had no problems, even got fuel at B.B. (not allowed to leave the dock). Heard others that came up later got hassled though...
Will be heading up there early July for 3 weeks again this year. We live on our boat and are self-sufficient, biggest worry is that if the Heiltsuk don't want to sell fuel or supply water and if they now own Shearwater... ??

Any spots to try for salmon around Sheer Water or rivers inlet? Haven’t fished the central coast yet. Making the trek from Vancouver to Rupert. Wouldn’t mind stopping a few places and trying along the way? Thanks

Any spots to try for salmon around Sheer Water or rivers inlet? Haven’t fished the central coast yet. Making the trek from Vancouver to Rupert. Wouldn’t mind stopping a few places and trying along the way? Thanks
Any spots? That is a very broad question!
Pete there are way too many to list.
Once you have planned out your route check back here with your route and dates and someone will be able to help you better.
Otherwise check the tides and fish 90 mins either side of those times. Look for other boats and try your luck.

If you hang a left into Hakai Pass you will not have any lodge boats again this year so there will be 60 less boats at the favorite spots. If weather allows you to go up the west side a bit to Cultus Sound any point could be a winner.
Nearer Shearwater you will see local boats at the better spots. Check the tide change and drop a line.
No visitors welcome into Shearwater until 23 July.
Check http://www.heiltsuknation.ca/
Good luck.

Hit the lighthouse at spider island south of cultus....also 60 lber bay south of the lighthouse....great spots for big Chinook...and you can never miss at the Gap at Hakai

I miss that area !!

Hello.
I learned about this thread and thought I would add to the conversation about the Central Coast and King Pacific Lodge. Until June 15th we were investigating operational options and looking for direction from the Heiltsuk regarding the ability to open in 2021. Several factors left us with no option to open. Heading into the summer, these included the US/CAN border closure, individual and group bookings postponing to 2022 due to their own health concerns and primarily the request of the Heiltsuk not to open. There may be companies who have ignored the Heiltsuk requests to limit travel into Heiltsuk territory and we are not one of them.
Heiltsuk Territory
We have enjoyed a good relationship with the community and feel we best represent our guests and crew by respecting the request not to open.
It has been very difficult navigating Covid 19. We are looking forward to assembling a crew and getting back on the water in 2022.

Wishing you the best luck on the water.

George

So KPL is operating in direct conflict with the wishes of the Heiltsuk FN? Vast majority of the lodges at Hakai are not operating this year and Bella Bella airport is to remain closed to charter flights. Strange
This is misleading and untrue.

Back