2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

That's a monster of a coho! What was the fight like? Jump much? I remember catching a 10lb coho that ran like a rocket on top of the water. So much different than the springs. What a great trip! Congratulations.
Thanks! There was one large tug when it pulled the line off of the downrigger, then the line went slack and I thought she was gone until I saw her come completely out of the water about 30 yards behind the boat. She headed straight away from me, taking about another 40 yards of line. Luckily, the boats around me could see it on the surface and steered away. It made three good runs and took about 15 minutes to get it to the net. I have caught Tyees in the past, but the fact that this fight took place totally on the surface was the most fun.

Went and fished for springs this morning, dropped the gear right out front of the nook. Got the first line down, went to set the second,the first one pulled and it was around 8 lbs , released it figuring it was going to be good fishing. Wrong. Trolled for a hour and decided to go fish for ling. Picked up 3 nice ling in about 1-1/2 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_2999.JPG
    IMG_2999.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 136
Fished Pill Sunday morning. started with a few shakers so decided to go deeper. Got an 18 lb 15 lb and and 8 lb Betweeen 75 an 90 feet on the rigger. A good decision as we had no shakers. The resident sealion was trying very hard to get our 15lb one.. but we managed to get it first! I know another boat lost one to the sealion. Called it a day by 10 am and headed back to the shack.

There are fish at the oval shaped reef straight out from harbour entrance.
We circled until we had what we needed. That's code for DIL wanted to get back to her baby who was chillin with Grandma. Left at 10:30.
5 chins one coho.
The biggest came when we were clearing that rod to fight the other side. Maybe 20 feet.
One on skinny g then we ran bait on both sides.
Hoping for a Hali tomorrow.
Last day in Ukee for the season.

Thanks! There was one large tug when it pulled the line off of the downrigger, then the line went slack and I thought she was gone until I saw her come completely out of the water about 30 yards behind the boat. She headed straight away from me, taking about another 40 yards of line. Luckily, the boats around me could see it on the surface and steered away. It made three good runs and took about 15 minutes to get it to the net. I have caught Tyees in the past, but the fact that this fight took place totally on the surface was the most fun.
Ah - that's a sweet fight....& fish to BBQ :) I've been catching some pinks from my double kayak in West Vancouver. Certainly a different experience but still lots of fun. Those coho are still the best fight pound for pound!

Just returned from 4 days in Bamfield. We caught our fish at Whittlestone, Diana, Swale, and The Wall. White hoochies would be the ticket one day, while a Herring Aide spoon did it the next. If we weren't catching at normal depths, we'd go deep and follow the bait and it worked well. Especially offshore, where we picked up our 3 nicest springs at 90 feet down (lots of coho up high trying to bite our downrigger clips). It was a beautiful trip.

We’ll I just got home a 2 week stay at the nook , inside fishing was on and off. Salmon fishing was good one day then sucked the next. Ling fishing was not bad. And off shore fishing was great. Both times it was like fishing on a big lake. The one time we ran to rats nose by radar, as we were approaching rats nose I noticed a couple of small blips on the radar then there was a real large blip. I said to my son I don’t remember a island out here. ( kidding). As we approached a large container ship appeared out of the fog. sitting on anchor On rats nose. I was quite surprised to see that. Anyways it’s been a good season at the nook . Considering the start of the season. Already looking forward to next season.

Attachments

• FD776CF8-D3C2-4926-8246-8EAD4E8DB830.jpeg
    FD776CF8-D3C2-4926-8246-8EAD4E8DB830.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 127FFEDD-DDB7-407C-A09E-5FDB83600B9B.jpeg
    127FFEDD-DDB7-407C-A09E-5FDB83600B9B.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 0B992EBB-3DF3-4DAB-91BC-6A1072874013.jpeg
    0B992EBB-3DF3-4DAB-91BC-6A1072874013.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 205
where oh where ? can i find information about being in possession of someone else fish , and just when did they drop having a note from a buddy fisher with all the correct information on same note ? i am referring to fishing in Bamfield for a period of time , then going home all the fish go into coolers and down the channel by boat , and the truck and camper drive out to Albernie then meet at boat dock put the boat on the trailer and drive home , apparently this is now illegal ! is this true ?

We’ll I just got home a 2 week stay at the nook , inside fishing was on and off. Salmon fishing was good one day then sucked the next. Ling fishing was not bad. And off shore fishing was great. Both times it was like fishing on a big lake. The one time we ran to rats nose by radar, as we were approaching rats nose I noticed a couple of small blips on the radar then there was a real large blip. I said to my son I don’t remember a island out here. ( kidding). As we approached a large container ship appeared out of the fog. sitting on anchor On rats nose. I was quite surprised to see that. Anyways it’s been a good season at the nook . Considering the start of the season. Already looking forward to next season.
Was it a HMM container ship? If so he’s been there for at least a week then. Strange

where oh where ? can i find information about being in possession of someone else fish , and just when did they drop having a note from a buddy fisher with all the correct information on same note ? i am referring to fishing in Bamfield for a period of time , then going home all the fish go into coolers and down the channel by boat , and the truck and camper drive out to Albernie then meet at boat dock put the boat on the trailer and drive home , apparently this is now illegal ! is this true ?
Like I said in an earlier post that ended about 6-7 yrs ago. You must transport your own fish. If 2 people are in the boat 2 possession limit and the truck driver would need there own fish. I was told this by the DFO at the ramp at Clutesi last month

Like I said in an earlier post that ended about 6-7 yrs ago. You must transport your own fish. If 2 people are in the boat 2 possession limit and the truck driver would need there own fish. I was told this by the DFO at the ramp at Clutesi last month
Your DFO dude is wrong, clearly stated in the transport regs,you can transport others fish with licence # name and all that good stuff,simple search online and voila black and white on the transport regs. I been check at the ferry a few times and never add an issue

Attachments

• DE5274B8-5EDB-4139-AE4B-831A59BC8AAD.png
    DE5274B8-5EDB-4139-AE4B-831A59BC8AAD.png
    610 KB · Views: 134
Was it a HMM container ship? If so he’s been there for at least a week then. Strange
its the hyundai singapore, whats up , is the west coast ports are full, so it is easier and cheaper to anchor offshore to await space in Van or Seattle. I saw 5 anchored or drifting in hecate straits awhile back. I saw 4 giants in english bay for over 12 days, waiting for space. There are fees involved for anchoring close to town, if a ship is going to wait longer than 6 days, they move them into gulf islands.

Fished Bamfield area Sun-Tues -- essentially closed down Seabeam Lodge for the season. Didn't venture offshore as we had one of Seabeams 17' Hourstons, but the weather was decent early on the trip so we made it as far as Effingham and Cape Beale. In a word, salmon fishing was slow. First light and high slack showed us the most action, but even still, we'd see at least an hour or more between strikes. Mainly fished Kirby down to Fleming and all of our hits were on Coho Killers. Had a ton of action jigging up some Ling and other Rockfish. Still scratched up a couple nice late springs along with a few large northern coho with the hook starting to show in the nose. The rain came on Tuesday quite hard, and so by early noon we were wet, cold and had a single salmon hit so we packed it in and headed home. Made a couple stops and uncovered some early chanterelle mushrooms (looks like they are at least another week or so still), and had a good long look at the Nitnat River in a couple spots but didn't spot any fish starting their runs yet -- although I suspect the rains will start to get the river flowing and fish moving.

Fished Bamfield area Sun-Tues -- essentially closed down Seabeam Lodge for the season. Didn't venture offshore as we had one of Seabeams 17' Hourstons, but the weather was decent early on the trip so we made it as far as Effingham and Cape Beale. In a word, salmon fishing was slow. First light and high slack showed us the most action, but even still, we'd see at least an hour or more between strikes. Mainly fished Kirby down to Fleming and all of our hits were on Coho Killers. Had a ton of action jigging up some Ling and other Rockfish. Still scratched up a couple nice late springs along with a few large northern coho with the hook starting to show in the nose. The rain came on Tuesday quite hard, and so by early noon we were wet, cold and had a single salmon hit so we packed it in and headed home. Made a couple stops and uncovered some early chanterelle mushrooms (looks like they are at least another week or so still), and had a good long look at the Nitnat River in a couple spots but didn't spot any fish starting their runs yet -- although I suspect the rains will start to get the river flowing and fish moving.
Haven't seen you on here for a while Ten Mile. Good to have you back. Still have the 3388?

Back