2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

It is literally impossible for these to break. Plus there's two. Plus the rods sit lower and closer to you. I cut the stupid boom holder off my brand new 2106's as soon as I saw them. I have no idea how anyone takes one look at that ridiculous setup and thinks "yeah that'll work". View attachment 69026
That's what I always had. I literally trusted my life with them as I hang of the boat to grab stuff. The new rigger came with a new design. But your mind will be blown when you see the new set up. My wife called it a 3200$ mistake. Because she thinks by the time I'm done perfecting these things they'll be a grand each. Lol. I'll show her.

But I don't want to high jack the fishing report with equipment issues. So currently my dad is in bamfield getting lots of coho and some nice springs, sounds like on the inside mainly. They'll be using anchovies and small spoons. High up

Headed up there Friday anybody from the forum going to be around always nice to work with other boats to help find the fish
I've been in Bamfield since Thursday. Found some fish at 5 mile. Slow inshore for me. Heard that some fish moved into Flemming this morning. I might head over that way in the morning and then look for a spot to jig some lings. Offshore looks a little messy tomorrow.

Pretty scratchy for our group today on the inside. Managed a few decent springs and a handful of coho along with a handful of shakers. Weather looks decent offshore later in the morning tomorrow with low winds. Plan is to head offshore tomorrow. Heard good spring action with coho being hit or miss.

Ran over to the nook Friday afternoon. The roads not to bad in. Great that it rained , no dust. Stuck my nose out of the nook Saturday mid day to fish the tide. Trolled for about 3 hrs. Had one hit. Had it on for 5 minutes, then it was gone. Good size fish from what I seen. But that was it. Not even a shaker. We’re here all week , so lots time to get out there. :)

I am heading to Bamfield tomorrow with 3 pals. Will be there til Thursday. I would sure appreciate a report on how it’s been the past couple of days. I have heard it is pretty slow. Hope it picks up. Maybe the rain will get things moving. I will report how we make out later this week. Thanks in advance.

Nice to get back to the nook this year after the closure last year. Brother in law, nephew, son and surprise guest, oldest sister, fished 55 hrs this year fr july 31-august 6. Usually we pound over 70 hrs on a regular year. Fishing wasnt lights out but extremely good when we hooked one. We landed 6 springs (4 over 20lbs, 2 around 18lbs), 6 coho, a couple of pinks (released, non-retention). It was the first time we all got to play a 20lber in one trip. Usually i use a lot of flasher, hootchie, skinny g combo action, but this year we got all the springs on big shiver amundson spoons. What a treat to fight the big springs on just a bead, ball bearing swivel, 5ft 30lb leader and a spoon, using light rods and hardy longstone reels. We found the majority of fish at effingham/cree troll. Inside was unusually dead. Couldnt get a sniff at swale, pill or the wall the whole time. Usually our favourites. We only had 1 hit on the inside the whole time just as we were about to reel up and end the trip. It hit just before the nook a couple of hundred metres fr the boundary square. It was a 22lber that my son got to fight in the nice calm waters of the bay (dad nearly knocked it off with the net 3 times). Winds consistently good in the mornings and then the afternoon wind would pick up. The first day though i did lose my breakfast in the swells by edward king. My nephew and son thought they were almost right behind me. The night before pbly didnt help celebrating our arrival. Crabbing was very good, prawning was off/on. Hate dealing with those slimy eels (hag fish). All in all a great trip with family and old friends that returned to the nook. See you next year
1106.jpg20210802_083221.jpg20210805_163948.jpg20210802_124338.jpg

We’ll be launching in Alberni on Saturday and running down the inlet Saturday. The girls will drive the truck and park at Secret Beach campground where we’ll meet up. Is there cell service in Barkley Sound?

Back