2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

You need radar there makes life so much easier. Thanks to @Derby setting me up with chart plotter/compass/overlay it makes boating there so much safer. I know guys do it without ,but not being able to see other boats around you in fog is pretty scary. I ran up to Fleming one day and it was fogged in and was happy to have it.

You need radar there makes life so much easier. Thanks to @Derby setting me up with chart plotter/compass/overlay it makes boating there so much safer. I know guys do it without ,but not being able to see other boats around you in fog is pretty scary. I ran up to Fleming one day and it was fogged in and was happy to have it.
Agreed. The fog can come in fast and it is less about knowing where you are and more about where the other guys are at. Definitely don't consider going offshore without it.

Has the fog been a big issue lately?
It was Foggy each morning last Thursday, Friday, Saturday to varying degrees. Usually burned off by 10am to noon but think it hangs around longer in August We used radar while trolling off Beale. Really helps to see who is on the same or opposite tack coming up. If your not comfortable in it you can fish the wall till it burns off.IMG_4591.jpg

We came back from Bamfield Sunday morning in rather rough conditions. Forecast was for wind to drop a bit around lunch before building again mid afternoon to Gale Warning. Luckily we were going with the waves and tide but still managed to bury the bow up to the anchor once. o_O It was rough and windy till we turned the corner at Trial Island and then was pretty calm the rest of the trip. Winds Sheringham to Victoria were 24 knots. Boat never felt unsafe but things can change quickly if something goes wrong so need to be on lookout for debris and such. Amazingly had cell service most of the way. Even with these conditions we made it the 190 miles back to North Vancouver in 7.5 hours so an average speed of 25mph. In the worse part we were doing 18 to 22mph and then once we turned the corner mostly 32mph.
We ended up with about 90 pounds of processed fish (Salmon, Halibut, and Ling) at we figure an average of $30 a pound or $2700.
Our costs for the 8 days, food, fuel, and moorage was about $2700. So we basically broke even and if you took food away we even made money!:)
Fishing for large fish was very slow. If you got one a day over 10 pounds you were lucky. Some were getting a couple a day offshore at Rats Nose or Big Bank but along way to go for 2 fish. 2 to 3 pound shakers were non stop everywhere so hopefully that bodes well for the next few years fishing.
It was not busy out in Bamfield and I thought marinas were maybe half full.
Already making plans for next year but will probably go a week or 2 later.Juan de Fuca.png

Last edited:
Spoke to the father in law today as he finished up his last day in bamfield. Very tough fishing for any decent fish. He put in 13 hours today and a 9lb Chinook was his biggest salmon......hoping some fish show up inshore soon.

Just wrapping up our family trip to bam town. Fished a few hours each morning and made it off shore to 5 mile and 7 mile but couldn't scratch up a hali. Because there was 6 people on board and we boated in there was no room for the hali anchor. Chinook fishing was slow but we managed a few good fish and my buddy got his first tyee. Hopefully things start picking up for the next two trips in August! Like always I cant wait to come back! One more morning tomorrow before we head home.

Attachments

• 20210726_065905.jpg
    20210726_065905.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 20210727_091831.jpg
    20210727_091831.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 20210728_081019.jpg
    20210728_081019.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_5525.jpg
    IMG_5525.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 288
We came back from Bamfield Sunday morning in rather rough conditions. Forecast was for wind to drop a bit around lunch before building again mid afternoon to Gale Warning. Luckily we were going with the waves and tide but still managed to bury the bow up to the anchor once. o_O It was rough and windy till we turned the corner at Trial Island and then was pretty calm the rest of the trip. Winds Sheringham to Victoria were 24 knots. Boat never felt unsafe but things can change quickly if something goes wrong so need to be on lookout for debris and such. Amazingly had cell service most of the way. Even with these conditions we made it the 190 miles back to North Vancouver in 7.5 hours so an average speed of 25mph. In the worse part we were doing 18 to 22mph and then once we turned the corner mostly 32mph.
We ended up with about 90 pounds of processed fish (Salmon, Halibut, and Ling) at we figure an average of $30 a pound or $2700.
Our costs for the 8 days, food, fuel, and moorage was about $2700. So we basically broke even and if you took food away we even made money!:)
Fishing for large fish was very slow. If you got one a day over 10 pounds you were lucky. Some were getting a couple a day offshore at Rats Nose or Big Bank but along way to go for 2 fish. 2 to 3 pound shakers were non stop everywhere so hopefully that bodes well for the next few years fishing.
It was not busy out in Bamfield and I thought marinas were maybe half full.
Already making plans for next year but will probably go a week or 2 later.View attachment 68667
Very much appreciated your reports during and after your trip. Your pics did cause a bit of boat envy however.
I can’t wait to get over there in my own boat!

Well, I’m living vicariously through buddies that are fishing out of the Nook all week. Although still spotty overall, they’ve been sending me reports daily. Think they are north of 8 springs in 2 days, including two larger ones like this…
Didn’t have consent so I cut off the guys head in the pic.

ill also tell ya that they have strictly been in the lower sound the entire time. This was 30lbs on the scales!

Attachments

• 9E1CBDC5-EF4E-4D4C-BDC4-CBA6E867BA88.png
    9E1CBDC5-EF4E-4D4C-BDC4-CBA6E867BA88.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 237
Just got back from the sound, started fishing Tuesday afternoon, stopped in Bamfield to top up, the algae bloom is substantial on the Bamfield side, ran over to Austin and started trolling back toward Swale, very windy but we started catching small springs, non stop from Austin to Swale. Wednesday morning made the run out to the Rats nose, occasional patches of chop on the way out but reasonably comfortable. Non stop action on small springs, cohos were in the 5 lb range but had to release a good number before getting our limit of Hatchery fish, stopped to jig for a few hours, 3 chicken Halis, ling cod, some good size sole, and several Sablefish, Salmon were caught on white hootchies and coho killers.

Fished bamfield for the first time in my own boat this past week. July 26-30. Left port early on the 26, the ride out was sweet. Thanks everyone for the tips running the inlet. Was on the lookout for deadheads and since it was calm it wasn’t hard to spot them. Over the week we fished a number of spots - Cree, Beale, whittlestone, the wall, Keeha bay hit laparouse once and 5 mile once. Hali fishing was slow for us - we just couldn’t seem to find them as other boats at the dock didn’t seem to have a problem. Fishing 21 miles offshore on my boat was definitely a highlight of the trip. We saw wales feeding, bait balls on the surface, coho jumping, and lots of eagles. We stopped on our way back from offshore to cast for some coho with buzz bombs, and we got into a few of them. Its awesome fighting a coho on light gear in the salt. While drifting for Hali’s, one of us spotted a coho on the surface right next To the boat, my buddy quickly dropped a buzz bomb right in front of it and the fish smashed it. Epic. the trip taught me a ton about the area. Navigating the thick fog without radar was tricky but we took it slow and had 8 eyes in the lookout at all times. We had a hairy moment coming home around cape Beale as the wind picked up. By my standards it was super rough, probably a 3 foot chop with a big swell. I was relieved to get around the point to say the least. I Strangled the steering wheel and filled my teeth a bit. All was good but definitely one of those ‘always respect nature’ moments. the ride home was amazing. 1 hr 20 mins dock to dock.
Mckay bay lodge is amazing. Brian and Cheryl were super accommodating. Rooms were clean, food was outstanding and the rates are very reasonable. Will surely rebook.
thanks bamfield! I’ll be back mid August.
Oh and we ended up with 15 chinook, 13 coho, a bunch of sablefish, 1 Hali, 1 linger and a few rockfish. Biggest chinook was 28lb

Attachments

• 9D1786AF-20DA-4228-8CB5-FED6BAF82928.jpeg
    9D1786AF-20DA-4228-8CB5-FED6BAF82928.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 339
  • A60B6C3B-48B2-4C9C-AEBA-1181302BCC1F.jpeg
    A60B6C3B-48B2-4C9C-AEBA-1181302BCC1F.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 335
  • F000D094-F323-480A-817D-C8366AED2A96.jpeg
    F000D094-F323-480A-817D-C8366AED2A96.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 0D57EE02-BA1C-4CBE-96E2-BD420C7469C1.jpeg
    0D57EE02-BA1C-4CBE-96E2-BD420C7469C1.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 6C6A6812-D60E-44DF-9E18-8529AE7F6966.jpeg
    6C6A6812-D60E-44DF-9E18-8529AE7F6966.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 2231EEC6-9FA6-482E-A187-654938332055.jpeg
    2231EEC6-9FA6-482E-A187-654938332055.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 5D3C2F8E-B368-4E46-A61B-1055A1493E19.jpeg
    5D3C2F8E-B368-4E46-A61B-1055A1493E19.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 321
Fished bamfield for the first time in my own boat this past week. July 26-30. Left port early on the 26, the ride out was sweet. Thanks everyone for the tips running the inlet. Was on the lookout for deadheads and since it was calm it wasn’t hard to spot them. Over the week we fished a number of spots - Cree, Beale, whittlestone, the wall, Keeha bay hit laparouse once and 5 mile once. Hali fishing was slow for us - we just couldn’t seem to find them as other boats at the dock didn’t seem to have a problem. Fishing 21 miles offshore on my boat was definitely a highlight of the trip. We saw wales feeding, bait balls on the surface, coho jumping, and lots of eagles. We stopped on our way back from offshore to cast for some coho with buzz bombs, and we got into a few of them. Its awesome fighting a coho on light gear in the salt. While drifting for Hali’s, one of us spotted a coho on the surface right next To the boat, my buddy quickly dropped a buzz bomb right in front of it and the fish smashed it. Epic. the trip taught me a ton about the area. Navigating the thick fog without radar was tricky but we took it slow and had 8 eyes in the lookout at all times. We had a hairy moment coming home around cape Beale as the wind picked up. By my standards it was super rough, probably a 3 foot chop with a big swell. I was relieved to get around the point to say the least. I Strangled the steering wheel and filled my teeth a bit. All was good but definitely one of those ‘always respect nature’ moments. the ride home was amazing. 1 hr 20 mins dock to dock.
Mckay bay lodge is amazing. Brian and Cheryl were super accommodating. Rooms were clean, food was outstanding and the rates are very reasonable. Will surely rebook.
thanks bamfield! I’ll be back mid August.
Oh and we ended up with 15 chinook, 13 coho, a bunch of sablefish, 1 Hali, 1 linger and a few rockfish. Biggest chinook was 28lb
Coming back from the bank is always the s… once your about 2 miles from Beale , fallowing sea at a weird angle with a wind chop, uncomfortable for the first few times

I've been in Bamfield for five days. Fishing has been slow but really fun. We've worked extremely hard for maybe 7 salmon. We entered the derby and got a 19 # salmon that we didn't take to weigh in. Apparently the prizes were awesome and that was a mistake.

Tonight I took my son and the nephews across from bamfield in the deer island group. There is a little protected bay on the side closest to bamfield. I stacked one side and one rod on the other. We were trolling quick to target the coho. We were getting lots of shakers and the boys were have fun reeling them in. All of a sudden I got the hit of the lifetime and my rod holder sheared I lost a brand new islander and g loomis rod. And a big fish.. crushing blow. Anyone good at rod retrieving it might be worth your while... brand new rod and reel. Got it in January have only used it maybe 30 days.

I've been in Bamfield for five days. Fishing has been slow but really fun. We've worked extremely hard for maybe 7 salmon. We entered the derby and got a 19 # salmon that we didn't take to weigh in. Apparently the prizes were awesome and that was a mistake.

Tonight I took my son and the nephews across from bamfield in the deer island group. There is a little protected bay on the side closest to bamfield. I stacked one side and one rod on the other. We were trolling quick to target the coho. We were getting lots of shakers and the boys were have fun reeling them in. All of a sudden I got the hit of the lifetime and my rod holder sheared I lost a brand new islander and g loomis rod. And a big fish.. crushing blow. Anyone good at rod retrieving it might be worth your while... brand new rod and reel. Got it in January have only used it maybe 30 days.
Harsh i was watching wicked tuna and they have clips going to their reels. Sucks bro im planning on packing 2 extra cannon balls. Ive lost a wallet with 500 dollars in cash off the side of the boat. It goes with fishing lol.

Sorry about your loss. I love scotty products but their boom mounted rod holders and regular all plastic rod holders will break. I solved the boom rod holder problem by finding an all stainless holder and actually tig welded the off side mounting clamp to the boom. It is rock solid now. As far as gunnel mounted holders scotty’s stryker line has a ss rod down through the base which makes them much less likely to sheer off.

Sorry about your loss. I love scotty products but their boom mounted rod holders and regular all plastic rod holders will break. I solved the boom rod holder problem by finding an all stainless holder and actually tig welded the off side mounting clamp to the boom. It is rock solid now. As far as gunnel mounted holders scotty’s stryker line has a ss rod down through the base which makes them much less likely to sheer off.
Happened to me too. I try to replace the boom holders each season to reduce the risk... do you have an approximate gps location for the rod and a guess at depth?

Where the arrow icon is roughly where the rod are most likely hanging out.

Attachments

• 20210803_140657.jpg
    20210803_140657.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 262
Back