2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

My son and I stayed at Mills Landing last weekend and fished two days with Jerry. First day offshore limited out on Chinook and Hali but no coho or lings. The second day we fished closer and caught our bigger four chinook and four coho but the lings still wouldn’t cooperate. Both days included tons of undersized Chinook as well.

This was meant to be a recce trip with the intent of boating in next time and perhaps checking out other operations. After seeing how Jerry meticulously looks after his cabins, his processing facility, his boat and his gear I won’t need to look anywhere else. If going out to LaPerouse Bank I’d probably still go with Jerry and use my own boat for the closer in stuff. I can fish my way in and back as well instead of getting dusted out on a logging road. I now know why folks are so high on Bamfield and now that I live an hour and a half from Port Alberni I can see myself there at least a couple of times per season.

On a side note, the day after we got back I took the wife and daughter out off Entrance and picked up a nice 70 cm Chinook and released a couple more before heading back and retrieving the prawn trap. A couple dozen prawns after just a two hour soak made a nice appetizer for our Panko crusted Halibut dinner. Gotta love the West coast life!

My son and I stayed at Mills Landing last weekend and fished two days with Jerry. First day offshore limited out on Chinook and Hali but no coho or lings. The second day we fished closer and caught our bigger four chinook and four coho but the lings still wouldn’t cooperate. Both days included tons of undersized Chinook as well.

This was meant to be a recce trip with the intent of boating in next time and perhaps checking out other operations. After seeing how Jerry meticulously looks after his cabins, his processing facility, his boat and his gear I won’t need to look anywhere else. If going out to LaPerouse Bank I’d probably still go with Jerry and use my own boat for the closer in stuff. I can fish my way in and back as well instead of getting dusted out on a logging road. I now know why folks are so high on Bamfield and now that I live an hour and a half from Port Alberni I can see myself there at least a couple of times per season.

On a side note, the day after we got back I took the wife and daughter out off Entrance and picked up a nice 70 cm Chinook and released a couple more before heading back and retrieving the prawn trap. A couple dozen prawns after just a two hour soak made a nice appetizer for our Panko crusted Halibut dinner. Gotta love the West coast life!
Jerry certainly runs a top notch operation that’s for sure.

Just got back for a three trip with a group of us in our boats. Was a little bit slow for chinooks. Small fish everywhere. Fished Austin. Meares, Effingham, Gibralter/Swale, and up the deer group up to Kirby

Didn't make it to Beale and Whittlestone.

Yesterday got a nice just under 20lb,so that topped off the trip. Some bottom fish, and good size cohos. We tried to go a bit offshore for halibut/lings but my kid was bit sick so stuck inside sound.

Will be back in a few weeks.

1627317174858.png1627317304423.png
1627317372014.png1627317449695.png

Last edited:
Just go back for a three trip with a group of us in our boats. Was a little bit slow for chinooks. Small fish everywhere. Fished Austin. Meares, Effingham, Gibralter/Swale, and up the deer group up to Kirby

Didn't make it to Beale and Whittlestone.

Yesterday got a nice just under 20lb,so that topped off the trip. Some bottom fish, and good size cohos. We tried to go a bit offshore for halibut/lings but my kid was bit sick so stuck inside sound.

Will be back in a few weeks.

View attachment 68558View attachment 68559
View attachment 68560View attachment 68561

To be precise, there aren't many sizeable salmon inside, period. Endless shakers. The guides go all far out or south of Beale.

Was good to meet searun briefly. He knows where the fish live!

Been really slow the last couple days. My father in law is up there right now and says nothing but 2-5 pound springs and some cohos inshore. Obviously the odd bigger fish but they are few are far between. Hopefully it turns on soon, has been slower than normal for bigger Chinook it seems.

Made my first trip to Bamfield this weekend. It did not disappoint. It was as great as everyone says. Ran my 17.5 Double Eagle from Port Alberni.
Friday
Left Victoria 3am. Launched in Port Alberni 6am. On the way up the canal we were nearing China Creek and saw the sockeye boats so we figured we may as well troll some sockeye gear through that section. We had no bites and saw no nets in 20 min so packed up and moved on. We went into Bamfield to McKay Lodge and dropped off our cooler and gassed up. We made contact with some other members from here and based on great weather and forecast we made plan to join them out to 7 mile a bit later. We started at Wittlestone just before 9am and dropped gear right on the bite. Started with a double header decent coho and 12lb spring. We had 2 other double headers and a ton of shakers to 6lbers. Around 10am we met the other boats and headed for 7mile. We trolled and caught a bunch of coho and few springs. Then we drifted for halibut and got a 50lber. Left the bank at 2ish and went around Cree and Effingham 2 lings and a cod. Back to dock at 6:00. Long day but so calm we were able to cover a lot of ground snd get good feel for the area.
Saturday
Morning was decent weather but as forecast it got worse as the day went on.
started at Wittlestone again. Lots of shakers and small fish again but did get a 16lb and a coho. Then went looking for lings. Back to lodge mid afternoon. Out for nite bite in the crap weather and found some shelter on a recommendation to fish Fleming. Lots of shakers and smaller springs and a few coho.
Sunday
Put cooler snd everything in boat at 6am and headed back to Fleming. More small springs. So we switched to lings again wanting to try some different gear. No keepers but had 1 sea monster take the gear and pull line off my Hali reel like I had hooked the bumper of a bus. Lost it before we saw it.
Headed back at 10:45 and found out why you want to run the canal early in the day. The middle section was a mess but wind behind us so manageable.
13 salmon, 1 Hali, 2 lings.2 cod between the 2 of us and a great weekend.
Thanks Bamfield!

Attachments

• 9A840C0E-EC31-4C80-935A-4E3EBE85BC87.jpeg
    9A840C0E-EC31-4C80-935A-4E3EBE85BC87.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 221
  • C33A47C4-ABA3-46C3-948A-7CE389E96CD8.jpeg
    C33A47C4-ABA3-46C3-948A-7CE389E96CD8.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 035553B0-8ECC-441F-A219-52A45D8EEFEB.jpeg
    035553B0-8ECC-441F-A219-52A45D8EEFEB.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 214
Made my first trip to Bamfield this weekend. It did not disappoint. It was as great as everyone says. Ran my 17.5 Double Eagle from Port Alberni.
Friday
Left Victoria 3am. Launched in Port Alberni 6am. On the way up the canal we were nearing China Creek and saw the sockeye boats so we figured we may as well troll some sockeye gear through that section. We had no bites and saw no nets in 20 min so packed up and moved on. We went into Bamfield to McKay Lodge and dropped off our cooler and gassed up. We made contact with some other members from here and based on great weather and forecast we made plan to join them out to 7 mile a bit later. We started at Wittlestone just before 9am and dropped gear right on the bite. Started with a double header decent coho and 12lb spring. We had 2 other double headers and a ton of shakers to 6lbers. Around 10am we met the other boats and headed for 7mile. We trolled and caught a bunch of coho and few springs. Then we drifted for halibut and got a 50lber. Left the bank at 2ish and went around Cree and Effingham 2 lings and a cod. Back to dock at 6:00. Long day but so calm we were able to cover a lot of ground snd get good feel for the area.
Saturday
Morning was decent weather but as forecast it got worse as the day went on.
started at Wittlestone again. Lots of shakers and small fish again but did get a 16lb and a coho. Then went looking for lings. Back to lodge mid afternoon. Out for nite bite in the crap weather and found some shelter on a recommendation to fish Fleming. Lots of shakers and smaller springs and a few coho.
Sunday
Put cooler snd everything in boat at 6am and headed back to Fleming. More small springs. So we switched to lings again wanting to try some different gear. No keepers but had 1 sea monster take the gear and pull line off my Hali reel like I had hooked the bumper of a bus. Lost it before we saw it.
Headed back at 10:45 and found out why you want to run the canal early in the day. The middle section was a mess but wind behind us so manageable.
13 salmon, 1 Hali, 2 lings.2 cod between the 2 of us and a great weekend.
Thanks Bamfield!
Awesome, sweet hali, that’s a good one

I’m sitting in one of the Mills Landing cottages watching the olympics because the fog is so thick I don’t want to go, instead we are having a family morning with the kids and waiting it out. We fished the islands around bamfield yesterday and caught lots of two to three lb springs but anything of size was being caught offshore (7 mile to rats nose). Still an awesome day in Bamfield and Mills Landing is a great place to hang out

I’m sitting in one of the Mills Landing cottages watching the olympics because the fog is so thick I don’t want to go, instead we are having a family morning with the kids and waiting it out. We fished the islands around bamfield yesterday and caught lots of two to three lb springs but anything of size was being caught offshore (7 mile to rats nose). Still an awesome day in Bamfield and Mills Landing is a great place to hang out
I'm in ukee right now and have the same problem.

Has the fog been a big issue lately?

Back