2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great day with my 10 year old daughter. 4 hours North Arm. Started out slow. Boxed a 15lb at 65’ two hours in. Then 2 hours later double header! Complete chaos. I’m taking the pic of her while I’ve got a 21lb’ fish on the other rod and steering boat. First one in the net. Bingo. Second one in the net and the rubber handle on the net slips off. Thankfully reflexes still good and grabbed it with the other hand before net and fish went into the drink.

Saw a DFO boat out there. Was hoping they would check me so I could tear a strip off them.

Attachments

• 485EACC7-F045-406A-BAD9-3EC1B89628FE.jpeg
    485EACC7-F045-406A-BAD9-3EC1B89628FE.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 217
  • A8A9E30B-CFB5-4C2A-BA30-125F46BDE6A5.jpeg
    A8A9E30B-CFB5-4C2A-BA30-125F46BDE6A5.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 212
Not a lot of reports considering the number of boats. Sounds like fishing is good though. Is it what everyone hoped for?
It was decent although I had never fished there before so didn’t know what to expect. Weather and sea conditions were stellar!

As was stated there was some horrendous driving. Maybe not much practice this year with all the restrictions?

Kept the first one we landed then 3 other bleeders releasing 4 others from 8 am to 2 pm.

Anchovy’s 60-90 feet worked best for us

Good luck out there.

Last edited:
2 man limit by 11:30 at Sandheads. Started at T10...no marking...moved to Sandheads and lots of marking. Chovies and herring....chrome and glo teasers and flashers. Magic depths as per above posts. Last fish measured 100 cm x 60 cm... caught on herring (in chovy teaser). Great times, lots of boats, good sportsmanship (except for the 2+ boats with seal bombs), flat waters and sun! Wish I could be back tomorrow!

You know what? Guys seem to get all choked about non reports on this thread. I agree that this one far and away has the most BS on it but man when the fishing is on and the troops are out the reports are current and plentiful. This was a fun day on SFBC.

Was out today trolling south from north arm to t10. 100 feet was the bomb. 50 and 60 feet ok too. Not a word of a lie ... I fought a chinook for over 35 minutes. It was insane. Head shakes beyond belief and never got close enough to the surface to be netted. Then I got to see a seal waiting for it. It took the chinook and my fav chartreuse onion glow flasher.

Also, apologies to a white hull boat with some green writing on the side. My dad's steering during the fight with another chinook put me in your way a couple of times. You were a gentleman in steering away from us to avoid getting between my fish and I. Thanks - I appreciated it.

Was fishing SH 6-8PM. Got one around 55 feet. Lost another one, the same depth. Going out tomorrow as well after work.

Took my daughter out for the late afternoon and night bite today. Stayed away from the crazy amount of boats crammed into small tight areas all around the mouth at the south arm. We went north a bit in between both arms. Only two other boats by us. We were out between 200-350' of water fishing when we first got out there. Riggers at 150' and 130' cause that's where the bait and fish were showing. We hit one at 150 right away but lost it right at the net. Spit the hook with a back flip. That one was on a spoon. About 15 minutes later another one hit on the 130' line. A screamer nice sized fish but never saw it. It also spit the hook. Daughter was thinking she was doing something wrong. I said nope you're not you are doing everything perfectly. That second fish was on a Herring Strip. We hit no other fish for an hour or so and then noticed most of the bait and fish marks were up higher now so we brought our lines up and changed up the spoon to a plug and the Herring to a chovy with a bit smaller hooks on the bait. Our first tack through the bait ball the 88' rod when off and popped itself off the rigger. Daughter grabbed the rod and didn't have to set the hook. Fish was already peeling out line like crazy. She quickly backed of the drag cause her rod was bent down on top of the motor and we both thought the rod was gonna break over it. Very proud of her for being quick on that cause I lost her a big fish on another outing we had by not telling her to back the drag off. I told her this fish is a good size fish. It was running so far behind the boat and there was plenty of drag on it. No boats close to us so I told her to keep the rod up high and keep it tight while I got the other line/rigger in and did a circle back with the boat towards where the fish was running. We gained a bunch of line back and the fish started bolting towards the boat. She was reeling as fast as she could but there was a bit of slack in the line. I backed the boat up a bit to help her gain up the slack in the line. As soon as she caught up to it the rod bent right over and the fish did another big run to the surface and broke the water twice. Now we knew this was a good sized fish for sure. I thought it might be a Tyee. She had that fish close to the net twice but it said nope and gave two more deep runs down. On the third fight up to the surface again it looked like it finally had enough. She did a great job leading the fish to the net and dropping lot's of slack as it came into the net. As soon as it was in the boat I thought man this fish is close to a Tyee but I wasn't sure. I didn't want her to be disappointing if it wasn't a Tyee so I didn't say it might be to her. So we got the scale out and it hung 26.6 I told her she did an amazing job and she couldn't stop smiling. No complaints of arms hurting or anything. She even knew to get the line back out as quick as possible as the bite was coming on and we were in the right zone. That fish was on a chovy so I suggested to her we swap the plug out for another chovy on that line. She said no she wanted to keep a different lure on that side of the boat. This was a day for her so I let her pick all the baits/lures, depths of riggers etc. I just made suggestions to her.

So we gathered ourselves, got the lines back out and went back to find the bait balls again and fish marks we were seeing. We found the marks and put the lines at the same depths. About 20 minutes later a fish hits the 66' line. My daughter grabbed the rod, set the hook and the fish took off for a couple decent runs but it was a lot smaller than the other one. This one hit the plug. (she was right keeping it on that line :) ) This smaller fish was still a kerfuffle as the rigger wouldn't come up. She was fighting the fish and the motor on the rigger was humming but the belt wouldn't turn. So I'm scrambling to get the rigger up by hand wondering why the F isn't it working. I didn't want the fish to get wrapped up in that rigger cable. Thankfully the fish was a smaller one and she forced it to go to the other side of the boat where I netted it for her. Turned out the rigger electrical in the female fitting was shorting out. Took it apart and got that working again. That fish was a bit over 12 lbs.

She was all tagged out after that fish and it was gonna be dark soon so we packed er up and headed back in. She kept smiling about that big fish. Her biggest so far. Treated her to a sushi feast on the way home to celebrate a great day together.

0GkWkMA.jpg

CXx2GPc.jpg

DNLvSkd.jpg

vVcxCHW.jpg

FoXsyim.jpg

MwTgqqq.jpg

y9fK3Qc.jpg

Last edited:
I'm taking the wife and kid tonight. Leaving North Van at three. Would you fish north arm, t 10 or sandheads based on yesterday? North arm would get us an extra half hour total, but south arm may be slightly better are my thoughts.

See my post above...my vote is the North Arm for sure. Less traffic, its producing and extra time with rods in the water. Have fun!

I'm taking the wife and kid tonight. Leaving North Van at three. Would you fish north arm, t 10 or sandheads based on yesterday? North arm would get us an extra half hour total, but south arm may be slightly better are my thoughts.

Can’t comment on Sandheads but T10 snapped on the flood last night, from reports and talking to guys back at the dock North Arm did too.
Shallow - 37/57
Man is it refreshing to fish shallow again instead of 200+ ft

Last edited:
was out last night from 4 to 8 pm at Sand heads. Boxed 3 and lost a few. all white springs.

Last edited:

Unless your wife or kid is skilled at steering the boat through dense traffic while you're fighting a fish for 15 min, I'd go North Arm.

Out yesterday at first light. Amazing day on the water. Lost one, got one at North arm within 30 minutes. Then died off a bit. Moved to sandheads. Got another fish as soon as I dropped the rigger down. Had it near the boat, and then the fish starts ripping around. I know what that means. Boom damn seal has it and rips 500’ of line out. We chase the seal with the boat and get on top of the *******. 15 minutes of battling the seal. Got our fish back. It’s true what they say about getting above the seal to get them to release your fish because they need to come up for air. Best fight on the rod all year! 2X15 lb. chovies 40-50. Going out this afternoon. Man it felt good to be fishing here again. DFO needs to get their act together or recreational fisherman need to band together stronger and go after their dumb decisions hard! 3536C370-13CE-4E14-BA84-FBCA192FA8ED.jpegBFE6E1AA-7FA0-4D5C-B661-5740DF3F0491.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back